Abu Ghraib Isn't Guernica

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if you don’t read Christopher Hitchens then you don’t know what’s really going on.

[quote]If Fallujah is “Guernica,” then the U.S. Marines are Herman Goering’s Condor Legion. If Abu Ghraib is “Guernica,” then the U.S. Army is a part of the original “Axis” between Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco. I wonder if any sympathizer of this view would accept its apparent corollary: that the executions and tortures inflicted by the Spanish Communists

I read the Christopher Hitchens article and I still don’t know what really happened in Fallujah during Operation Phantom Fury – how extensive the destruction was and how many Iraqis were killed.

Here’s a clue though:

Comparing “Guernica” to Botero’s “Abu Ghraib” paintings literally doesn’t make much sense. The best comparison I can see between Picasso and Botero is simply their desire to use art to record present-day wartime horrors in a compelling way that furture generations would be sure to see.

What’s missing is that Picasso was reacting to destruction of a city within his homeland – a painting he started upon on the same day word of the bombings reached him at his home in Paris. German expressionist Otto Dix’s paintings of crippled soldiers came from his perspective as a multiply-wounded veteran of World War I. Der Sch