Accidentally overstayed ARC

This is my first time, but boy do I feel like an idiot. Six weeks ago, my employer obtained my new three year work permit, and I got my new contract. Shortly after that, I got my notification from immigration that my ARC would expire. I looked at the date, which was June 13th.

Just today, my boss asked me if I had my new ARC. I said I had until the 13th and double checked my ARC. I realized that I had previously looked at the date of issue and take a year after that date as the expiry date. It had in fact expired on May 11th.

Now, I have a Taiwanese wife and kid here with me. I will go to immigration tomorrow as I need to go to the office today to make sure I have all my documents. Does anyone have any idea what to expect? I have read a few threads here, but don’t know if I should expect the same.

I don’t know if this will help, but I have one or two acquaintances in the foreign affairs police.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Be humble and apologetic. But you knew that already. And it couldn’t hurt to have your Taiwanese wife and child with you when you visit.

Good luck!

BTW, why a work-based ARC instead of a JFRV, which has open work privileges?

In case anything happens to my wife. Her idea.

I need a checklist of what I need. I assume: work permit, contract and job certificate, ARC, passport, photos, housing documents, money, maybe take my son and his Taiwan passport. My wife is working tomorrow. How much money should I take? I wonder if I am likely to be fined.

[quote=“Reaperjim”]In case anything happens to my wife. Her idea.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta[/quote]

Bit OT, but needs to be said:

Eh, you know the law has changed and they don’t kick you out of the country right after your spouse dies, right? Especially with a kid. Ask your friends at NIA.

I was going to suggest going for APRC but that is one thing this overstay will affect: your countdown will go back to zero again. Do try to aim for that goal next time, as only an APRC will give you and your wife both peace of mind.

Best of luck with the overstay. There might be no problem now but next renewal or exit out of the country will be problematic. Sucks, I know. Sorry about that.

So that means only a JFRV will be possible?

[quote=“Reaperjim”]So that means only a JFRV will be possible?

Mmm, looks like it. Most common aftereffect would be the clock being reset. But ask the NIA to confirm.

My employer just spoke to immigration. 4000 NT$ fine and that’s it. Will post back tomorrow about ARC as might be useful information for others.

I hear that the immigration office for New Taipei City in Banqiao is no longer where I need to go, and that its in Xiaonanmen. Is this true?

The Banqiao office moved to an odd location in Zhonghe, which is where you should go if you live in Xinbei. Don’t go to the Taipei office unless you live in Taipei proper.

Hmm, my friend is New Taipei City, too. She went to city branch to do an address change. If the one you said is the correct one for Danshui, that’s gonna be a bit hard to find. The street view on Google Maps tells me nothing useful.

Maybe you can get away with going to Taipei, but I wouldn’t count on it. The Zhonghe office is a bit south of Global Mall, if that helps. Seriously, it’s as if the govt wanted to add some challenge to the procedure and so placed the new office in a spot that’s a pain to reach. Consider taking a taxi from Banqiao station.

Do take a taxi. The place is in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by a morgue and some mountains. The taxi drivers at Banciao Station are familiar with the place, though, the guy I took was complaining about that remote location and the lack of convenience… Consider calling a cab to go back home. A classmate I met there by coincidnce told me that it took him two attempts, with GPS in his car, to find the place. So trust teh experience of taxi drivers, 150 nts please.

Yes, sorry to say, if you live in Danshui, then you have to go all the way to “Zhonghe”. Your friend probably moved from New Taipei City -ex County to Taipei City.

By the sound of this place I’ll probably go missing trying to find it.

What happened happened and you might need to fly out and come back in with a visitor visa and then get a new ARC - I honestly have no idea how the NIA will decide in your case as the authorities here are not really consistent in their policy and individual decisions.

But there’s another aspect here regarding your JFRV:

You guys all need to stop listening to your local wives when it comes to anything immigration/tax/employment related. Unless your wife works for the NIA or the tax office or CLA she is about as clueless as any foreigner. Why would the average ROC (or US/Canadian/…) citizen have any idea about immigration law? Add the problem that the average Taiwanese thinks foreigners can never become ROC citizens or can only live here as a teacher or student and you quickly appreciate the value of such Taiwanese advice.

Get proper advice next time: government websites, call the NIA, talk to a CPA or lawyer.

Also, never break the golden rule: no overstays ever.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“Reaperjim”]In case anything happens to my wife. Her idea.

Bit OT, but needs to be said:

Eh, you know the law has changed and they don’t kick you out of the country right after your spouse dies, right? Especially with a kid. Ask your friends at NIA. [/quote]
Indeed, it does need to be said. One can always transfer a spouse-based JFRV to one’s child in the case of divorce or the death of a spouse. People will tell you it can’t be done, but I know for a fact that it can.