Accupuncture vs feng shui

accupuncture is similar to feng shui 風水( geomancy) in that it has the belief of " qi" 氣 . But accupuncture to me looks more " real" than feng shui. Which most believe is village superstition. This is contradictory since both are based on the concepts of " qi". Does feng shui tarnishes the credibility of accupuncture??

What the foes of  the existence of " qi" have to say about men getting kicked in the balls and not feeling any pain?  Western science has been able to explain that?

Feng Shui and Qi and stuff like that is rubbish obviously, but on the other hand, I can do qi, and people say they can feel the difference when I touch them with (it feels warm, even through clothes) and without qi.
So I don’t believe in qi, but I can do it :idunno:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Feng Shui and Qi and stuff like that is rubbish obviously, but on the other hand, I can do qi, and people say they can feel the difference when I touch them with (it feels warm, even through clothes) and without qi.
So I don’t believe in qi, but I can do it :idunno:[/quote]

Congratulations! You’re a Taoist master! :slight_smile:

…you foreigners gots to be sendin’ me all yer monies!..lol

But seriously…accupuncture and feng shui are two different areas.
Accupuncture is based on electrical conductivity thru the human body. A proven scientific reality.
As far as I know, and I am not very knowlegable in this, feng shui deals with the physical elements of earth and placement of elements that would be conducive or blocking of various energy flows thru the physical environment of a building. Somewhat similar, but very different in basic construction.
Everybody/human has chi. Some deplete it, some conserve it and some nourish and grow it. Consciously or unconsciously.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]…you foreigners gots to be sendin’ me all yer monies!..lol

But seriously…accupuncture and feng shui are two different areas.
Accupuncture is based on electrical conductivity through the human body. A proven scientific reality.
As far as I know, and I am not very knowlegable in this, feng shui deals with the physical elements of earth and placement of elements that would be conducive or blocking of various energy flows through the physical environment of a building. Somewhat similar, but very different in basic construction.
Everybody/human has chi. Some deplete it, some conserve it and some nourish and grow it. Consciously or unconsciously.[/quote]

So you’re saying that " qi" only applies to the body, but not to the surroundings? What I’m thinking is that " body qi" forms like tai qi quan, qi gong, tui na and acupuncture are lots older than the practice of feng shui. The wiseguys tried to expand this " qi" thing further. But feng shui really sounds like bullshit. If you’re a lazy person, but you move your desk to this point? is that going to help you work or study harder?

That’s what I’m thinking , that feng shui is an erroneous extension of the " qi" concept.

The Italian mafia was around in ancient China? :astonished:

I’m not saying anything for or against feng shui, but having shared an apartment with a delightful British girl for a few years – a person who was, even she admitted, fairly messy – feng shui at least got her to pitch out some of the trash and straighten things up. I’m surprised more mothers aren’t really into getting their kids to believe in it. :smiley:

From what I understand qi is generally divided into three sections tien qi (sky) di sky (earth) and ren qi (human).

Those concerned with qi try to make sure qi can move freely to where it should be (in the way that yin and yang way of seeking balance in all things).

Feng shui introduces elements that are important to ‘invite’ the qi in - so your environment should have the importants of nature present such as water (why so many Taiwanese have a fish tank in their house), plants and so on. I’m not sure how it ties in but the feng shui guys also suggest putting mirrors at strategic locations to keep out the ghosts.

Accupuncture and accupressure, combined with chinese medicine, focus on making sure the qi flows unimpeded through the body, that the body has balance, hence ‘hot’ and ‘cold’ foods and that you’re putting the correct energy into your body

I’m actually a bit dubious of that kind of feng shui. BUT I did read somewhere that the basic principles of feng shui were just common sense - ie people are happier where they get natural light, where surfaces are relatively uncluttered, where they have a nice view, decent airflow etc. and I think that’s very true, and you can trace some feng shui back to those basics. As to the nitty-gritty, I dunno.

Daasgrrl’s spon on when it comes to the basics of fengshui. Don’t put yourhouse somewhere to windy, or near a source fo stagnant water. Don’t sleep next to the toilet. Don’t sleep under a beam. Mostly common sense.

As for ‘qi’ - well I don’t think it’s good to rubbish it. The ‘feel’ of a place, the ‘vibes’ - we’ve probably all felt it. Seeing how the ‘qi’ could flow in a restaurant isn’t much different from a western designer looking at aesthetically pleasing lines, how the flow of people will work, what will draw people in etc. My wife will say a certain neighbourhood or polace we visit has ‘good qi’. I usually agree, but I just feel it has a goof feel, good vibes or something.

Brian