Accused of domestic violence

If it were one of my team, and the work could be done remotely, I would have no problem with it. I’ve made accommodations in similar situations.

I apologise, I was being flippant. If you’ve made accommodations for team members who have been falsely accused of domestic violence that’s great.

It will depend on the OP’s job and the management he has. I have the feeling a lot of managers won’t be so accommodating.

2 Likes

No worries. People have family issues all the time, it’s good to try and be understanding and accommodate if possible. It really depends on the relationship with the manager. I wouldn’t even need the details if it was an employee in good standing.

1 Like

I would file on abduction of kids already against her. Seems she doesn’t let him see the kids and has confirmed to have hidden their passports.

2 Likes

Doubt they put you on a travel ban just by your wife going to the cop house asking them to do so, there must have been something more than just he said/she said.

2 Likes

You’d think that would be how it would work.

Well, I do think that is how it works.

Either there is something more to the story, or the OP didn’t respond to the charges properly and he was issued a summary judgment or something to that effect.

People don’t just get exit bans in Taiwan for no reason.

2 Likes

I remember a lawyer posted here once that his client was banned from leaving just because a jealous person sued him over some stupid case of him using the accuser’s phone number. The guy was in limbo for a year as he couldn’t leave and eventually he was found not guilty. So, I don’t know, this is Taiwan. Anything can happen.

4 Likes

Yeah, but I suspect what happens here is that you are offered a chance to respond(e.g. do you have urgent need to leave the country, is there some reason why you should be allowed to leave, etc) but the accused doesn’t respond, so who ever is applying for the ban wins and the ban is issued…

It is very difficult to get a divorce in Taiwan. One must have documentation of infidelity (actual sex act involving penetration of genitalia) or domestic violence. If wife doesn’t have a documented wound assessment at the Emergency Room after the alleged incident, she has no case against you. Feel sorry your wife pulled a Johnny Depp on you over the holidays. Go to the AIT and ask for their help. Find out whether the custom has placed a restriction on your travel. Good luck

4 Likes

In other words, you have no idea. So what are you contributing here? Nothing useful, certainly.

2 Likes

Not an accurate statement. A client of mine was banned from leaving Taiwan merely based on someone filing a lawsuit for theft. It was a false lawsuit without merit and my client was found completely innocent of the false allegations. However, those false allegations were enough for him to receive a travel ban until the legal case concluded.

Here is Taiwan? Where do you think you are?

8 Likes

That should be a no brainer for sure. They had discussions about child abduction recently too.

https://www.ait.org.tw/u-s-citizen-services/international-parental-child-abduction/

3 Likes

I stand corrected then.

I kind of assumed you get a chance to respond, and if the charges have no merit you are allowed to leave( say ait director, evidently outside of the country when the alleged incident occurred), but okay then. Weird, but okay.

1 Like

The OP might be able to apply for FMLA. This might cover their job but if they don’t have enough time (and in this case it’s probably going to be a long time) then they won’t get paid.

I’d check that out.

Edit: spoke to a HR person. FMLA won’t cover it. But if this were a case were the OP was the victim of DV depending on the state their from, they could use the DV laws to deal with time off.

@wannagohome if you are concerned about your job, check your state’s employment leave Acts.

Best of luck.

1 Like

What a terrible situation to be in, OP.

I wish I had a solution to your problem. One thing that caught my attention was your mention of your wife’s deteriorating mental condition. Do you have - or can you get - any evidence of this, and would such help you in Taiwan?

3 Likes

There is a way to apply for permission to leave (not saying permission will be granted, just that the possibility exists). I’ve seen the form but don’t remember what it’s called. Ask a lawyer.

2 Likes

Wait, are you saying your client was barred from leaving in a civil matter?

That has definitely happened.

On the other hand, people facing criminal charges have skipped bail, stayed away X years, and come back to total freedom. The system has an uncertain degree of flexibility. :roll: :idunno:

(ETA: skipping bail is illegal. Don’t do it.)

1 Like

Interesting, as I had a look and my understanding was that exit bans can only be imposed in criminal matters and when the defendant is strongly suspected of having committed an offense per https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=C0010001 - which would exclude completely meritless accusations (e.g. you were evidently outside of the country when the alleged offense took place)

Are there any relevant statutes I’m missing?