Acer showroom?

They added it on the Taiwanese website. Still not available in the store…sigh.

I’ll probably end up getting this one:

Hoping to either get a small discount or free upgrade.

The vivobook is great. It was my second choice. I think they have the 8th gen i7 in there already?

Yes, they just refreshed them with the new CPUs. Under 2kg, option to add 8gb of ram and ticks all the boxes for me. I don’t need it for gaming so the gtx 1050 is good enough (I wish there was a cheaper and lighter option with no gpu).

Great deals on the “old” (well…current, at least in Taiwan) Zenbook Pro, but for photoediting the 8th generation i7 8750h is phenomenal. If I was looking for general use/gaming I’d definitely get the Zenbook Pro with 7700hq.

I think the major sell for the zenbook pro was the fan cooling system. I hate it when my computer becomes a oven and makes crazy loud noises.

Don’t know about you, but asus imo has been killing it. Nothing I saw in acer, HP, Lenovo, Dell compared from looks to performance or at least the right package of performance.

I’m going to study multimedia design in Malaysia so I really wanted something that could do the job well without getting an apple ugh

Apple = lol

MSI makes some very interesting stuff, they manage to keep some of their gaming laptops within a reasonable weight. But considering that I don’t need gaming stuff, I’d rather give my shekels to Asus (or Acer, but they’re being slow with their 8750h refresh).

I really didn’t take a look at more gaming geared computers. Like you said, I don’t really game on the computer like that and it’s a lot bulkier and heavy than I want it because I carry my laptop around a lot.

But yes, I was disappointed in how slow they were to get the 8th intel chips to Taiwan when it’s been in the US since it came out.

I do love the new asus pro with the screen in the laptop pad. One of the cool things is it lets you connect with you asus phone which seems like the way of the future.

The deed is done: I got the Vivobook Pro with 8th generation i7 8750, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd +1tb hdd and gtx 1050. I don’t need the gpu, but whatever.
The other candidate was the Gigabyte Sabre which for a nearly identical configuration was a bit cheaper and 300g heavier, but the display looked really mediocre. The model with good display was overkill for me, packing a gtx1060. The display on the Vivobook Pro has really good contrast and 100% sRGB, couldn’t ask for more. If there was a Vivobook version without gpu and a bit cheaper/lighter it would have been ideal, but I’m glad I can get a laptop with its spec under 2kg.

This weekend I’ll spend some time torturing it with some editing software, I’ve read many reports of heating issues so I may have to get a small cooling thingy.

Congrats with the purchase, but what a horrible, horrible model name.

Unfortunately all laptops have either 3edgy5me names aimed at young gamers, or randomly generated names like Ideapad, Nitro, Vivobook, TUF etc…sigh.
I didn’t notice the name Vivobook on the frame, so I could simply get some neat (and not too edgy) sticker to personalize it a bit.

How much did that set you back?

I just bought this:
HP Envy x360 15.6"
UHD 4K Touch Display with micro edge bezels and edge to edge gorilla glass (320 nits brightness / 80% color accuracy)
Intel i5 8250U
256 GB SSD PCie Nvme + 1TB HDD 7200
16 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce MX150
Includes the pen that support Microsoft ink
Total cost including shipping to Taiwan from US: $1,126 USD (about 34,000 NTD)

I was so close to buying an Asus Zenbook Flip 14", but it lacked the 1TB HDD and only came with 8GB Ram at about $200 USD more.

I checked out the Vivobook and took it for a test drive a few times. I was not impressed with the build quality. Lots of flex in the keyboard and body. The display was not as good as the Zenbook or the HP. And I have heard it has heat problems.

How are you getting along with your Vivobook?

44k including the ram upgrade from 8 to 16. They’re very different laptops though, the Envy has the U cpu.

Did you try the Vivobook or Vivobook Pro? The regular models have the U cpus while the Pro version is also available with the newer 8750h, which is basically perfect for photo/video editing.
I agree on the questionable build quality, especially the screen frame. It doesn’t feel particularly tough.
I haven’t taken it out of the box yet, so it’s a it early to tell how it behaves, but viewing my photos online gave me the same colors as my calibrated monitor at home and that’s all I need.

1 Like

Anybody here tried/uses the Acer Aspire E15? Seems to be a popular mid-range choice, but I was wondering if it can handle video editing and how’s the battery life like.

Here is a review for you on cnet

Youtube has a few video reviews too.

1 Like

I am looking for a AMD Ryzen Laptop.
Those specs look good. Just needs some ram upgrade.
https://tw.buy.yahoo.com/gdsale/acer-AN515-42-R66N-15吋筆電--7756700.html

Dig deeper.
Make sure the SSD is a PCie and not at SATA
Make sure thr HDD is 7200 anf not 5400
Also make sure the RAM is DDR4 and not soldered in.