Acid rain ☠

Hi,

when I came to live here I was told about the acid rain problem related with pollution and so. Sounds bad but it’t not that scary; I guess that a too long bath in some hotsprings could be worse. Now, have you guys seen the latest satellite images of China? it looks pretty much like a gigantic grey cloud except for that most likely it’s not a cloud, but some crap that comes out of those thousands of chimneys they have. Well, the thing is… I might be wrong but… aren’t we too close to China Mainland to not to be affected by all that pollution? is there any reliable studies or data on this? Have any fluctuation on the pollution level been detected?

Normally I’m not an alarmist person, but yesterday I was thinking about how this could affect us, and well, it doesn’t look very well in my opinion. They’re wasting lots of shit into the rivers, they´re polluting the air massively, then we have Japan and their Fukushima thing “under control”… looks like a good moment for do like Micheal Jackson and get your own bubble.

Yes the Chinese brown cloud certainly affects here, especially when those polluted sand storms blow over. Most of Taiwan’s pollution is home grown though. Taiwan’s PM2.5 readings vary from two to four times maximum recommended standards, China’s are off the scale.

when seasonal winds are kicking, the pollution in China can get as far as Seattle, Washington. So yes, the pollution absolutely gets to Taiwan. In the winter when trade winds are coming from the north-east, Northern Taiwan is usually covered by it. The acid rain is much worse in the north due to this. In Keelung and Taipei, the pH value of the rain is usually between 3 to 5, that is like getting vinegar or fresh tomato juice (with no added sugar) all over your head.

In short, use an umbrella when it rains.

as for air quality, in the city, with all the motorcycles around pumping out exhaust that aren’t fully filtered, it’s already crappy without oversea pollutions.

[quote=“hansioux”]when seasonal winds are kicking, the pollution in China can get as far as Seattle, Washington. So yes, the pollution absolutely gets to Taiwan. In the winter when trade winds are coming from the north-east, Northern Taiwan is usually covered by it. The acid rain is much worse in the north due to this. In Keelung (Jilong) and Taipei, the pH value of the rain is usually between 3 to 5, that is like getting vinegar or fresh tomato juice (with no added sugar) all over your head.

[/quote]

Strange that the Shimnen Reservoir, which should be full of all this acidic rainwater, has a pH of 8 to 9, making it alkaline.

Anyone know what’s going on here?

[quote=“monkey”]

Strange that the Shimnen Reservoir, which should be full of all this acidic rainwater, has a pH of 8 to 9, making it alkaline.

Anyone know what’s going on here?[/quote]

phosphorus and most fertilizers are alkaline

I came home because I caught a cold and run into my neighbour. Her husband has passed away because of some really quick cancer. 3 months. I saw the guy some time ago with a fucked up face, but I thought he had some problem with the teeth instead.

We eat shit, drink shit, breath shit (and also take shit). With this all shit, it’s normal that every time I know about more cases of cancer. My gf’s bro has also cancer. A coworker’s father passed away when I joined the company… we are fucked up :S

Limestone run-off …

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

youtube.com/watch?v=CWwYyHxB1w4

Now I’m thinking that perhaps acid rain is not that bad. How much money ladies use to spend in skin scrubs and so? here you can actually have it for free! free dead cells removal for free.

Taiwan is simply great.

Great, something else to worry about. Is there an indicator for acid rain like there is for air pollution?

EPA reveals plans for acid rain alert system

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2018/05/07/2003692654

Anyone know to check acid levels now?

Haven’t seen any info on indicators. Always curious especially when lite rain.

My favorite quote from the news video :rofl:

“I don’t know if the rain is acidic or not, I just know I keep losing more and more of my hair.”

News report talks a bit about damage to car’s and concrete and people. Zhongli has the worst.

Are there any websites or apps with indicators?

That’s cause he keeps bloody shaving it off.

How about going old school with one of these bad boys?
51Vgstkb0ML.AC_SY1000

1 Like
3 Likes