Acne is a good thing

"It is too late for me – my psyche is already pitted – but let me congratulate the scientific team at Birmingham University in England, whose researches have led them to the thesis that acne may be a kind of evolutionary contraceptive. In mimicking the symptoms of illness, the scientists speculate, pimples might form a sexual no-go zone that prevents humans from reproducing before they are physically and psychologically ready for it.

Zits as a Darwinian cold shower: It is a theory that many teenagers will find immediately convincing."

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar … Mar28.html

oh my. hail the one dimensional man

You know, that just confirms that the “science” of evolutionary biology is more about educated, shoot in the dark guessing than any sort of employment of the rigorous scientific method. Like the early psychology of Freud and Jung, it relies more on literary-minded creativity - liberal arts majors, take heart - than the mathematical logic of hard science.

In other words, just make up any bullshit theory you want, in this particular field of “science”.

Good answer! A scientist by training, I have always felt that way about this pseudo-science, too. Reading the late, great S.J.Gould is always a good eye-opener for debunking evolutionary science myths, including ‘it must be there for a purpose’.

Good answer! A scientist by training, I have always felt that way about this pseudo-science, too. Reading the late, great S.J.Gould is always a good eye-opener for debunking evolutionary science myths, including ‘it must be there for a purpose’.[/quote]

I always thought that zits were for camouflage, which was very important when we were all hunters in the jungle. Hey, maybe I could get a Nobel prize for that theory.

cheers,
DB

I’m not sure I use this prefix pseudo anymore. What is science? scientia? episteme? “a body of knowledge” like the german word?

Does it even have anything to do with the scientific method? Are you familar with some of the critics of the method?

How about epistemology?

Most people never think outside of their time, they never become timeless. And ask the real questions.