So far all I know is:

[ul][li] You do it in HK

[/li]
[li] You can do it at the airport in HK, or at a travel centre in HK

[/li]
[li] It takes up to 3 days

[/li]
[li] It’s more expensive for US citizens than Australian citizens[/li][/ul]

Can anyone tell me anything more specific?

HK Airport takes about 6 hours for an Express Visa. Get your luggage, go through immigration into the arrival hall; there are counters at the right and left end of the hall, can’t miss them, really. Ask for China Travel Service. If you apply for the visa before 9am you’ll get it at 13:30, before 13:30 you get it at 6:30pm.

In June and August I paid HK$ 800 for a single entry and HK$ 1600 for a multiple entry valid 6 month.

[quote=“mesheel”]HK Airport takes about 6 hours for an Express Visa. Get your luggage, go through immigration into the arrival hall; there are counters at the right and left end of the hall, can’t miss them, really. Ask for China Travel Service. If you apply for the visa before 9am you’ll get it at 13:30, before 13:30 you get it at 6:30pm.

In June and August I paid HK$ 800 for a single entry and HK$ 1600 for a multiple entry valid 6 month.[/quote]

Thanks. That sounds almost too expensive to be worth it for a single entry, and a multiple entry is way out of my league.

You won’t save any money by going to the visa office in Wanchai (instead of the Express Service offered at the airport). It takes two days to do it there. By the time you take the train from the airport to Wanchai, find a place to stay, apply for the visa, drink 12 beers, get the visa, take the train back to the airport, you’ll have spent about the same amount of money. (It costs a couple of hundred HK$ to do it the office)