Acquiring Canadian citizenship for Taiwan spouse in Taiwan

First of all, to get a passport, you need to be a Canadian. To become Canadian citizens, adults must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying.

This looks very promising:

[quote]You may also count the days spent outside of Canada in the following circumstances as days for which you satisfy the residency obligation:
OPTION 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your

* spouse or common-law partner or
* parent, if you are less than 22 years of age

[/quote]

I think the only difficulty is that one must be in Canada to initiate this process, and I’m not sure how long it would take to initiate. I’d love it if someone else posted their success story here!

Yeah, I inquired about this when it very first came in, like, maybe 4 or 5 years ago.
At that time it was “too new”, so nobody at the Office here knew how to do it, and I haven’t really checked back.
I’d also be very interested in any additional info.

EDIT: I just looked on the site, I don’t see anything in the application process about physically being in Canookistan, it looks like you can do it all from here. :ponder:

First of all, to get a passport, you need to be a Canadian. To become Canadian citizens, adults must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying.

[quote]You may also count the days spent outside of Canada in the following circumstances as days for which you satisfy the residency obligation:

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your

[/quote]

I think the only difficulty is that one must be in Canada to initiate this process, and I’m not sure how long it would take to initiate. I’d love it if someone else posted their success story here![/quote]

Maoman,
You have to be in Canada to get the residency time for spouses to become citizens (some exception for Federal diplomats at missions abroad I think). The link above is about residency time required for some classes of PR, not citizenship itself AFAIK.

Being married to a Canadian citizen gets a spouse automatic PR. It takes about 4-5 months to process out of country (faster than if you apply in country)or at least it did a few years ago.

After three years of direct residency in Canada as a PR (even your trips outside the country deduct from the whole three year time requirement), they are eligible to apply for citizenship. The process takes another 6-7 months and they’ll have to write a test on basic Canadiana. After successfully passing that, they are eligible for the swearing in ceremony and to get a passport.

While a PR, your wife can get a social insurance card, health care card, EI benefits, and can work. Anything except vote really and some kinds of welfare. Non-bloodline kids (adopted kids, stepkids etc)can also get free educaton, local university rates, and even join the cadets as non-citizen PR during the three year waiting time. Anyone having any questions, can PM me.

cic.gc.ca/english/citizenshi … bility.asp

[/quote]

I think the only difficulty is that one must be in Canada to initiate this process, and I’m not sure how long it would take to initiate. I’d love it if someone else posted their success story here![/quote]

Maoman,
You have to be in Canada to get the residency time for spouses to become citizens (some exception for Federal diplomats at missions abroad I think). The link above is about residency time required for some classes of PR, not citizenship itself AFAIK.[/quote]
There’s nothing in the link I provided that suggests that. Do you have a link from a gov’t website that supports your assertion?

[/quote]

Maoman,
You have to be in Canada to get the residency time for spouses to become citizens (some exception for Federal diplomats at missions abroad I think). The link above is about residency time required for some classes of PR, not citizenship itself AFAIK.[/quote]
There’s nothing in the link I provided that suggests that. Do you have a link from a gov’t website that supports your assertion?[/quote]
From my understanding, and these websites are pretty confusing if you ask me, your first link deals with the residency time for citizenship, while the second link involves residency time to continue being eligible for PR at renewal time… In the past, a spouse could receive a PR card, but spend less than the required residency time in 5 years and lose that PR. The spouse would have to start the whole lengthy application process again. These new changes mean that even if your spouse doesn’t spend the requisite period of time in Canada to qualify for citizenship during the five years, she can continue to obtain PR renewals indefinitely because of being a spouse. I’m pretty sure that renewals can be done out of country. Just need to fill in a two page renewal package rather than a 40 or 50 page medical and application process.

I see what you’re saying. Thanks, chewy - that was very helpful. :thumbsup:

I recently spoke with someone who actually works in a Canada-immigration consultancy company based in Taipei.

He said kids born to Canadians are Canadians. So it seems the kids issue is not an issue.

The spouse, however, doesn’t immediately acquire citizenship. Apparently, it’s quicker if the spouse goes to Canada and applies to get PR (apparently this can be commenced right at airport customs?), but the 3 years can be spent anywhere as long as its with the Canadian spouse. I’m pretty sure this is what this person told me.

[quote=“14_of_spades”]I recently spoke with someone who actually works in a Canada-immigration consultancy company based in Taipei.

He said kids born to Canadians are Canadians. So it seems the kids issue is not an issue.

The spouse, however, doesn’t immediately acquire citizenship. Apparently, it’s quicker if the spouse goes to Canada and applies to get PR (apparently this can be commenced right at airport customs?), but the 3 years can be spent anywhere as long as its with the Canadian spouse. I’m pretty sure this is what this person told me.[/quote]

Hard to ascertain IMHO…some federal websites say faster…others slower…in 2007, it was slower domestically than in Taipei. With the recent federal changes, this might have changed.

Last point is completely wrong. They count every day. :no-no: We went to California in December. The 15 days we spent there counts as time overseas. Therefore, my wife, if she doesn’t leave the country again, will be able to apply for citizenship 3 years and 15 days after she arrived in Canada after getting a PR visa in Taiwan. And the application for citizenship will take a few months as well (and a test has to be written).

[quote=“14_of_spades”]I recently spoke with someone who actually works in a Canada-immigration consultancy company based in Taipei.

The spouse, however, doesn’t immediately acquire citizenship. Apparently, it’s quicker if the spouse goes to Canada and applies to get PR (apparently this can be commenced right at airport customs?), but the 3 years can be spent anywhere as long as its with the Canadian spouse. I’m pretty sure this is what this person told me.[/quote]

Not for citzenship. The residential time must be in Canada. And as Chewy says any time spent abroad outside of Canada does not count.

Bump! I’m Canadian, spouse is Taiwanese, we’re living in Taiwan. Does anyone know what the current situation is for my wife getting some kind of rights in Canada, whether it be citizenship or permanent residency or Canadian passport or whatever? No current plans to move to Canada, but it’d be nice to make sure things are already sorted out should we one day choose to take that step. No kids, if that makes a difference.

Looks like it hasn’t changed. She would need to apply for Permanent Residency and live in Canada for 3 of 5 years. No special treatment for spouses it says.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=357&top=5

1 Like

Thanks for the link: hmm, yeah, things don’t look promising. My impression is a spouse can enter the country with me easily enough, and then I need to sponsor her to become a permanent resident. Being married to me doesn’t seem to give her any rights in Canada unless we’re already living there.

I’m not entirely sure why this has come up for her, but she does a lot of work with a Buddhist organization that operates in Canada, and I think she wants to be able to work with them in Canada for a couple of months at a time.

From another page, emphasis added:

Who can become a sponsor

You can become a sponsor if you are:

• a Canadian citizen …:
    • If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative(s) become(s) a permanent resident.

And later the same page (which seems to answer my next question, which was “OK, I can’t sponsor her, but can my parents?”):

Who you can sponsor

To be eligible for permanent residence , the principal applicant and any dependants must not be inadmissible to Canada.

You can sponsor a:

Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner

Getting paperwork sent to the GWN from Taiwan can cause a rash. Get that shit sorted before going.

Global Wrestling Network? Or I guess Great White North? Is this a common abbreviation?!

You are not a true hoser.