Add tone marks to pinyin

Hello, all. I’ve updated my Firefox extension that converts pinyin with tone numbers into pinyin with tone marks above the appropriate vowels. It works on MS/Mac/Unix and it’s a button that sits in your browser’s Add-on bar, so it won’t get in your way like an IME would when you don’t want it.

For example, if you type “zhong1wen2″ into any plain-text field in your browser, highlight it and hit the button, then it will be converted into “zhōngwén”. This converter can also handle conversions of pinyin words mixed into English sentences, such as

Zhu1ge3 Liang4 and Cao2cao1 were famous generals. -> Zhūgě Liàng and Cáo Cāo were famous generals.

The specifics of the conversion process are identical to those of the online pinyin converter on Toshuo, which is also powers the SinoSplice Tooltips plugin for WordPress.

Oh, and Cranky Laowai should be happy to note that this tool adds apostrophes to before syllables starting with a vowel in multi-character words!
E.g. Xi1an1 -> Xī’ān

[quote=“Xiaoma”]Oh, and Cranky Laowai should be happy to note that this tool adds apostrophes to before syllables starting with a vowel in multi-character words!
E.g. Xi1an1 → Xī’ān[/quote]
Yeah! :banana:

With MS Keyboard Layout Creator you can also edit your ordinary Windows keyboard to offer any diacritics in any application.

e.g. I press AltGr+5 and then ü, and then I get ǚ.