Adding a furry friend to the mix

Thanks so much for your response.

This is what I am most concerned about. We can’t adopt one and expect the pup to be okay with us not being there for that many hours in a day. Work can get busy for me and I think it will devastate me if I could not get back to the pup. Worse if he/she expects me.

I also don’t really want to throw the pup over to my parents when we’re at work because who knows if he/she will behave well or not and cause trouble for my parents. I’m also concerned that if the pup spends too much time with my mom, then it will think that, my mom is her owner, not the gf and I.

Does anyone have experience with adopting and both parents of the furry one worked 9-5?

Nothing wrong with tu gou, just not the gf’s our preferred breed.

Dogs need human company. You are his master, his world. He is also a living being who needs stimulus, socialization, education. Give him guidelines and he will be happy and well adjusted.

Animals Taiwan probably will have a doggie of your liking. Any and all breeds are dumped. Just this weekend some threw a tiny bulldog in a ditch in the mountains. Thankfully, he was rescued and now is on the road to recovery and eventual adoption. That is a dog that costs 30k or more.

Animals Taiwan will ask you to sign a contract and stay in touch. If anything happens that you are forced to give up your pet, AT will take it back. There must be also basic economic assurances in terms of environment, savings in case of sickness, etc. Please remember breed dogs are more fragile and prone to certain malaises mixed do not have.

Now about peeing: I take Bobby out morning and evening, one hour walk . He is also paper trained and pees in the bathroom when required. No biggie.

Diapers and limaoku are necessary in certain cafes where pets are allowed. At home maybe with sick pets, but I never tried even it with my elderly doggie Toto.

With cats, we tell people to adopt 2 so they will keep busy. However, dogs are more owner oriented. If you can do 3 walks and spend free time on weekends that would be awesome.

There is an illustration to this dilemma I can add later. Thank you for welcoming a furry baby into your home and heart.

3 Likes

Taking care of a dog or dogs is not just physically tiring, but emotionally as well. I love my dogs, we take turns walking them 3-4 times a day. And now they’re getting up their in age, as much as they’ve taken care of me, we have had to take even more care for them. My older dog max is 14 now, he has pulmonary edema and low blood pressure. His medication and bi weekly doctors visit is about 10k.

My younger dog Chanel is 12. We had a scare because she wasn’t responding and had no energy and wouldn’t eat curling up with her tail down today. She’s a high energy dog, she’s always going around and has no problem jumping around and even double jumping from the chair to dinner table if we leave food there. She’s like a cat. I had to drop everything and take her to the vet today. My manager wasn’t to pleased, some people aren’t dog people I guess. But my animals are my family. Here’s her at the doctor.

1 Like

Taking care of a dog or dogs is not just physically tiring, but emotionally as well. I love my dogs, we take turns walking them 3-4 times a day. And now they’re getting up their in age, as much as they’ve taken care of me, we have had to take even more care for them. My older dog max is 14 now, he has pulmonary edema and low blood pressure. His medication and bi weekly doctors visit is about 10k a month.

My younger dog Chanel is 12. We had a scare today because she wasn’t responding and had no energy and wouldn’t eat curling up with her tail down today. She’s a high energy dog, she’s always going around and has no problem jumping around and even double jumping from the chair to dinner table if we leave food there. She’s like a cat. I had to drop everything and take her to the vet today. My manager wasn’t to pleased, some people aren’t dog people I guess. But my animals are my family. Here’s her at the doctor.

My dogs are poodle mixes, I find them cute and mild tempered and smart. Older dog is a poodle cocker spaniel mix, younger dog in the picture is Lhasa Apso poodle mix. I don’t like very small dogs, they tend to be territorial and annoying. Barking all the time. I like small medium to medium size dogs. Plus bigger the dog, the more you need to walk them so think about that.

1 Like

Maybe you should educate your gf about breeds a little. I cant for the life of me understand why people are buying corgis and shibas when u can find a tu gou for free on the streets.

When I came to Taiwan in the last century tugou were the predominant breed. We had a string of them, all street rescues. Super tough dogs and good fun. But of course they’re considered low class, people want exotic breeds, like fucking huskies.

2 Likes

Thanks Auntie Peng. Will look into it. It’s good to know that we have to prove our worth to adopt. Nice to know that we can always take the pup back if things really don’t work out, but I hope to not have to resort to that.

We considered cats because from our experience they are a bit lower maintenance that dogs. However, we’re both dog people at heart.

If I could, I assure you, I wouldn’t be here asking questions.

Gf and are well aware of the stray dog issue in Taiwan and do not mean to spend cash just so we get the breed we want. I said we prefer these breeds and never even mentioned a word about buying.

I would like to have a dog or a cat. Probably I prefer a cat for a flat like mine, which is ultra small, but I decided to stick to fish because of the reasons already mentioned by other pet owners here: animals need attention, they can’t be alone so many hours. Maybe cats can do better than dogs, but I’m not sure about how well they can do alone. A possible solution to this would be to have a pair of pets. Indeed, my fish could be of some good entertainment for my cat, but I’m afraid that the cat would destroy aquariums and fish and then go after other stuff at home…

Someone just posted a dumped Great Dane. One year old and gorgeous. Someone realized doggie gets big and big… This is the stuff people in animal welfare circles deal with, so please be patient with us when adopting.

As I said, all breeds get dumped. We got corgis, we got Akita, we got shibas, heck even Afgan. Now a Great Dane. Sigh. Stray animal problem is human problem.

If ranlee has the resources to adopt a purebred then let him. That has its own challenges and rewards.

Sorry to hear about your doggie. Hope he gets better soon.

As owners we must keep in mind pets have no NHI but do have a knack to get in trouble/get hurt/ get sick.

Two quick stories on the idea of getting a particular breed.

Years ago, I had an Old English Sheepdog that was dumped by a breeder. She was all skin and bones (brittle bones, I should add), completely toothless and hairless, and had trouble walking around. Basically she’d been used to breed continuously for most of her life, to the point where the vet couldn’t really pinpoint her age - just that she was completely unable to conceive anymore. So, yeah, screw those jackasses.

Story 2: I had a husky that wasn’t wanted by a breeder. Got him when he was quite young and he was gorgeous, but he was considered a ‘dud’. He disappeared years later, and when we tried to find him we ended up locating at least 6 homeless huskies in our general area. Beautiful, healthy dogs. It was crazy how many of huskies were just dumped on the streets.

Like Icon says: any particular breed you want, you’ll probably be able to find given enough time. Through the years I’ve had an Akita, a Samoyed, 3 Huskies, an Old English Sheepdog, 3 Golden Retrievers, a German Shepherd and a Dalmatian. It should be noted most of those had more medical problems than the crossbred dogs I’ve cared for.

If you do wait and spend time to find the right dog, you’ll probably find a bunch of other dogs you love.

1 Like

I think I watched this one before. Even if it’s not the one I watched, I’m sure it comes to say the same:

I think that’s what might happen. We are searching for breed A and B, but stumble on C and end up liking and taking home breed C.

No complaints there, at the end of the day, we still saved a life.

We plan to start the physical search after the holidays. Previously, it was just too cold to do anything.

If they fall in the hands of animal organizations, they get medical treatment. A tugou is smart and strong, may survive harsh winters and floods. A pet that has been cared for has no defense mechanisms, dumping one is inhumane, for which I hope the bad owners get reincarnated in the roaches they truly are at heart…several times.

Bulldog in Hsinchu:
http://act-adopt.ahiqo.ntpc.gov.tw/detail?id=72732&flag=3
27868086_921857477979038_8945948524860427244_n

A scrufy in Taichung
27972371_923534647811321_8461100104386436907_n

Hope you find the furry pal you want. It is destiny, don’t push it. He will come.

3 Likes

Auntie Peng, you keep saying “he”. Does it have to be a boy? :smiley:

giphy

3 Likes

you funny. Found you an Akita in Neihu shelter:

FB_IMG_1518500112271

And a similar one Samoyed

FB_IMG_1518500132155

2 Likes

The info says it’s a Shiba Inu.

1 Like

The picture is also of Shiba Inu.

1 Like

Unfortunately he’s just old and it’s just going to get worse. The medicine and visits are just to help extend his life and keep him comfortable as fluid is building up in his lungs. Even with the medication, he still has trouble breathing with fluid in there although better than if he didn’t get the medication.

Just a heads up that they can live a long time, dogs are cute when theyre young and puppies. Maybe annoying as a puppy. But when they get old and have health issues which they almost always do. The doctor might say you need to spend 10k a month for the rest of his life maybe 2 years. Or else the dog might have a few months. Also we used to leave them at pet hotels to run around if we leave the country. Now we have to leave them with at least one family member to make sure he’s ok and taking the medication. It’s also hard to get they to eat the medication each time. I have to stuff it into some food, and my dogs picky and sometimes finds the pills and spits it out.

It’s heart breaking to see my dog like this, he coughs a lot, and this cold winter has been hard on him. We keep him in a sweater. But I had him since I was young and we would run around on our large ranch like property in Texas together. Now he’s not able to walk long or run because of his heart and lungs.