Adding a furry friend to the mix

Yes! I get so angry at how irresponsible some dog owners are. There was a dog in my old neighborhood that had a short temper and would attack other dogs and mine depending on the interaction. And he would just sit at the bench and smoke with his dog off the leash to wonder and wait for him to come back. I wanted to smash that guys face in. Some people are such assholes I think the only remedy is for them to get punched in the face to see some reason.

Haven’t read all the replies in detail - but have looked at all the photos of the dogs! It’s hard to resist wanting to both help some of these creatures and also to have the warmth and companionship of their furry, unconditional love.

If you care for it, here are my two cents after having had a pet for a very long time. It was not a dog, but a cat that we had from 6 weeks old until the end over 20 years later.

The pros - this was a very loving and lucky for us easy animal to care for; the cat traveled well (both by car which was frequent and by plane which was just once), adjusted to new places surprisingly well and even seemed to tolerate our occasional absence for vacations, business trips, etc. We have so many fond memories; the cat was a true member of the family and enriched our lives in countless ways.

The cons - the responsibility and limitations were/are considerable, and this was a super easy animal - she even liked her travel carrier, which she used at home and while traveling as her sleeping den (her “safe space”)! Every time we wanted to leave for vacation, business trips, or just a weekend away, we had to plan to take care of the cat first. If we could not find accommodation for the cat, we did not go (this was the case frequently!) We chose professional “cat hotels,” as did not want to burden family and friends with pet-sitting, as we chose to avoid a possible risk of something happening (i.e. someone leaves the door open, cat gets out and gets lost or killed and the family member feels bad or friend relationship is strained/ruined - and our beloved cat hurt or gone!) This made short notice travel on holidays (summer vacation time or Christmas / New Years) impossible as those hotels were booked far in advance.

Our main concern was the well being of the animal and quality of life. If the cat would have been stressed and reacted badly to us putting her in a hotel it would have not possible to do this to the animal. Likewise if she would have resisted going into her carrier and/or not tolerated car rides, we would have also faced difficulties of being much more tethered to the furry little meow.

There is in my opinion no point in having a pet if the pet has to suffer as a result of our desire to have the pet.

The hardest part is there is no good way to know for sure what the temperament of your pet will be until you have it, especially a mixed breed or shelter animal. And even with a pedigree animal there is no guarantee. And returning a pet or “rehoming” are in my view harmful to the animal and not really even an option (for me).

I wish you the best in your decision - pets can be so rewarding and their love is truly a gift and they also deserve our best, which it sounds like you have in mind, as you are considering all the options and responsibilities well in advance.

:grinning:

1 Like

Each animal has their own temperament. My Toto had to go out rain or shine, Bobby can do his business in the bathroom. The list goes on: Bobby bit several neighbors, Toto was taken as a toy by neighborhood children. Both Bobby and Toto have had health issues, Bobby congenital from being pure breed, Toto congenital plus neglect plus abuse and abandonment. Toto was on heavy medication so he had to stay at the vet’s when I travelled. Bobby stayed with him which made him tense and unhappy. Once he tried to escape and made it to the sidewalk. Yes, in a reputable place, with locks on the crate and a door. Vet almost had a heart attack. Oh and Bobby was banned by most beauty pet shops in Xindian. Even the patient lady who did Toto could not handle Bobby. Hence, his grooming falls on me and the vet.

My cats are a basket case and it is not only me who says it. The smallest one, who was rescued by a fellow ex Formosan, can’t be handled by anyone, even me. She has maimed a famous vet…before she lost her teeth to a debilitating condition she got when she was very young. All the older cats refuse to leave the house under any circumstances and taking them to the vet and getting treated requires a net. Last time I went away for 3 weeks they all got sick. Finding a trustworthy pet sitter is quite a miracle but even then the cats may still be distraught from my absence.

Hence, I do not travel much. Now that the menagerie has doubled, I think I will try to get the younger ones used to boarding. They have a calm temperament but you never know. But I am unsure what to do with Bobby. And the older cats will just have to stay alive under the old sitter.

It sounds like there’s never a dull moment at your house! :wink:
I think I’ve seen it mentioned in other threads that you have a few cats, but how many animals do you have? Bobby and Toto are dogs I presume, and how many cats? Other four legged friends? Just curious. :grinning:

Currently the number stands at 7. And we are having a rare moment of peace with 5 cats over my legs, meaning my blood circulation at the lower extremities is compromised. Bobby is napping on the ottoman.

Got a kitten that will be ready for adoption in a month or so, if anyone interested. Lovely ginger, very affectionate and playful.

Have you had any luck or and new idea in the type of dog?

1 Like

Weather has been a bit of a drag and I haven’t had the chance to go out and visit the shelters. I am seeing good weather for the long weekend, so it could be a chance.

We saw one terrier up at PACK that we like and I haven’t had the chance to browse all the other shelter websites.

Nonetheless, I’m 100% sure we want a small-medium dog that weighs around 10-20kg. Anything bigger might pull off the gf’s arm when she walks it.

Oh he will come. Like love, when you least expect it.

1 Like

5 kitties at once all over you - hihi - they seem to know you care for them well. It sounds like you also foster and help place them in a good home - kudos to you for helping them. :cat::dog:

Bumping this thread since we restarted our search for a furry one. Has anyone had experience with Zhang Ma Ma over in the Ping Xi mtns?

Gf and I checked out their small exhibit at the Nangang Carrefour yesterday, but all the dogs available for adoption were too young. The person running the shelter, Zhang Ma Ma was there to answer our questions and said that we could drop by the shelter whenever we had time.

1 Like

I can also take you to a shelter in Xindian. They also have grown up but still young doggies.

King was a puppy at Zhang Mama’s Pingxi. He’s spoiled now. He chose my daughter and kept following her around.

king

1 Like

What did you think about Zhang Mama’s? As a first time pet owner and adopter, would you recommend them? My first impression was that their dogs seem to be very well taken care of, but I’m not too familiar with their org and a quick Google tells me that Zhang Ma Ma has been on the news multiple times (for good reasons).

Gf and I will be making the trip down to Ping Xi to check it out this weekend. Hoping we can keep cool.

1 Like

She loves them very much and cares about how they are doing later like many other groups here. They have a facebook page. Sometimes you’ll see she is really upset about an animal abuse case. They also set up in front of the jianguo flower market. That’s where we heard about them then went out to Pingxi. https://www.facebook.com/taiwanchangmama/

Puppies are a lot of work but make good pets if you train them. We hired a trainer to teach us because we didn’t understand dogs. Taipei Dog Training https://www.facebook.com/pg/taipeidogtraining/reviews/

Regarding your earlier question about other shelters: there are some lists of shelters, many around. I guess they have been linked already, but if not here is one: https://taiwanobserver.tw/2017/07/18/taiwan-unofficial-animal-shelters-list/

When I was looking for a dog to adopt and bring to Germany in 2016, I ended up in the government run Bali (near Danshui) shelter: Redirecting...

My impression was that the animals were well cared for, the people were happy to help choosing a suitable one, and they seemed very friendly with their dogs. The person who took care of me was Maggie, who speaks English very well - you can find her on Facebook as Maggie Bali. I ended up adopting a young tiger-striped Tugou from there, who was already vaccinated and ready to go abroad a few weeks later, after getting used to living with me.

One thing that made me think this is a place where the people working there take good care of their animals: One other option would have been a similar Tugou, which was found after an road accident. They had built a frame with wheels out of plastic piping, which supported his rear body weight and let him walk around freely even though one rear leg was severely injured. The way they treated this dog made me feel they really care.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @olm

I think I’ll have to add the Bali shelter to the mix! Getting there won’t be an issue, getting burnt to a crisp on the way there might.

If I remember correctly there are several other public and private shelters on the way to Bali, it’s a nice day trip… By car.

As I’m doing my research for more private shelters I came across this place that wasn’t too far from my office.

I remember there’s a thread on pet friendly cafes and restaurants. I’ll be sure to forward this info there once I find it.

It’s not every day you see 600+ reviews on Google maps with a 4:star:+ rating.

Apparently proceeds from the cafe go to providing for the strays.

1 Like

I know a place with almost 3600 reviews on Google maps and an average 4.7 stars rating, HA.

So many puppies photos…must resist urge to adopt them all >_>

Yes. they have a few doggies and kitties on site too, to keep you company while you have coffee…and to consider giving them a forever home. Earnings from coffee sales go to stray protection.