Adhesive tape & sticker residue remover

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=640255#640255

EDIT – merged these threads

[quote=“Dragonbones”]http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=640255#640255[/quote]Cheers, Dragonbones. Just goes to show there are no new questions on Forumosa!

Gypsy tears. I swear by them.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]B&Q sells an adhesive remover which includes lemon oil among other things. You spray it on, wait a minute, and wipe it and the gunk off. Works very well but do not use on paper or cardboard items, as they will end up with an oil spot. B&Q sells it in the same aisle as (and last I checked directly across the aisle from) the small cans of Japanese wood stains. I’ve been using the same can for years to remove stubborns price tags and other stuff – a VERY worthwhile purchase.[/quote]OK, next question. Where’s B&Q? I’ve searched Forumosa and briefly searched the Internet but can’t find any addresses.

There are several - where are you?

[quote=“Stray Dog”]There are several - where are you?[/quote]Xinyi District.

There’s one up in Neihu, near Costco. That’s probably your nearest. JiuZong Rd. Mention my name.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]There’s one up in Neihu, near Costco. That’s probably your nearest. JiuZong Rd.[/quote]Thanks very much. [quote]Mention my name.[/quote]I don’t want to get thrown out before I’ve even bought anything! :wink:
[Edit: Do they really know you by name?]

There’s one just south of the Minquan bridge; heading east off the bridge, turn right, go past the gas station on your right; go to the 2nd light, turn right, cross several small intersections, then cross Jiu Zong Rd (which has Costco on your right and two RTMarts on your left); keep going, and B&Q and Hola will then be on your left.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]There’s one just south of the Minquan bridge; heading east off the bridge, turn right, go past the gas station on your right; go to the 2nd light, turn right, cross several small intersections, then cross Jiu Zong Rd (which has Costco on your right and two RTMarts on your left); keep going, and B&Q and Hola will then be on your left.[/quote]Is it near the junction of 舊宗 and 行忠? I’ll be coming from a southerly direction, not the Minquan bridge. The map I have up here at the moment is not very good, which doesn’t help. My decent maps are still down in Taichung.

If you come in eastbound on, say Nanjing, I do believe you’ll want to turn left (north) onto 舊宗 Jiu4zong1 Rd., and go past Doggy House (giant dog on roof), and RTMart 2. Turn left between RTMart 1 and Costco, and it’ll be up ahead on the left.

Someone please correct me if this is wrong. I’ve never heard of the other road you list.

EDIT: RTMart 1 and 2 are next to each other, FYI.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]If you come in eastbound on, say Nanjing, I do believe you’ll want to turn left (north) onto 舊宗 Jiu4zong1 Rd., and go past Doggy House (giant dog on roof), and RTMart 2. Turn left between RTMart 1 and Costco, and it’ll be up ahead on the left.[/quote]OK, thanks. Sounds easy enough to get to.

In case it hasn’t been said, Rubbing Alcohol is the cheapest and easiest method.

[quote=“joesax”]Hmmm… WD40 works a bit but slowly and the tape’s still a pain to get off. Might have to try the “girlie-man” blow dryer option.

Just came across that little bottle. It’s called PAPER CLEAN. (自粘貼紙清除劑) zi4-nian2-tie1-zhi3-qing1-chu2-ji4. Sells for 20 NT.

[quote=“navillus”][quote=“joesax”]Hmmm… WD40 works a bit but slowly and the tape’s still a pain to get off. Might have to try the “girlie-man” blow dryer option.

Just came across that little bottle. It’s called PAPER CLEAN. (自粘貼紙清除劑) zi4-nian2-tie1-zhi3-qing1-chu2-ji4. Sells for 20 NT.[/quote]Thanks! I’ll look out for that.

[quote=“Jack Burton”]In case it hasn’t been said, Rubbing Alcohol is the cheapest and easiest method.[/quote]Not sure where to get that, or what it’s called in Mandarin. But I’d like to get some anyway (or at least isopropyl alcohol) for cleaning the heads on a cassette player.

Half where can I find, but more importantly, looking for suggestions of a product that will remove the residue of double-sided tape (several years old) off a stainless steel door without harming the surface. Things like alcohol and gasoline had no effect…Help appreciated!

At (the artist formerly known as) B&Q they have a sticker residue remover containing, among other things, grapefruit oil. It’s quite good at removing this kind of thing. Spray, let sit one minute then wipe. Repeat if needed. Don’t use it on anything like paper which would be stained by the oil, or on anything painted, as it may remove the paint or finish.

I think we have a thread on this; I’ll search and probably merge this. (Edit: done)

(Edit: it’s in aisle 16, btw.)

Wow, you’re a star, DB. Thanks for the info and the merge! :notworthy:

Ok, mission accomplished.

Just a word about this stuff: It works great, but you really have to hit the spots you are working on a few times and let it work in. The amah at B&Q who helped me find the stuff suggested spraying, letting it set half an hour, spraying again and then using the blade of a box cutter to etch away the residue. I don’t recomend this for a stainless steel door or any other polished surface.

I recommend spraying, letting it sit and using your finger to rub away the bigger parts of the adhesive, then hitting it again with the spray and using the non-abrasive pad that is included in the lid of the can of spray as needed. It takes a little persistence, but at least you’ll avoid unsightly scratches. Also, it does a great job with dirt or discoloration on stainless steel. Door looks great! Thanks for the advice! :bravo:

I know gas stations sells naphtha but they are not really the most effective thing for removing tape residue because they dry too fast, and smells funky too. I mean they are safe around plastics or paints (where any other solvent would attack them). I also know 3M sells those things in an aerosol can that works much better than naphtha but they are expensive as hell (being a 3M product) and I rather have something not in an aerosol can. I use double sided tape a LOT and they often leave nasty residue that won’t come off except for a whole can of naphtha for a tiny amount of tape. Do they have anything like pine-sol or anything like that in Taiwan?

In case you are wondering I use double sided tape to attach sandpapers to plate glass for sharpening tools. The sandpaper will eventually need to be replaced and there needs to be a way to remove all residue so that the glass plate remains dead flat.