Adjectives for "tastes good"

In Chinese there are no adjectives for telling about the level of how good something tastes as far as I know.

It seems silly to me.

Good is “好吃”

Literally “Good eat”

This cements my idea that Taiwanese people aren’t very passionate about their eating habits.

Thus=Taiwanese food sucks

hao chi de bu de liao.

just to name one. Expand your idea of adjective.

Hao suan, ke yi. hao chi.

Hao tian, wo bu xi huan.

A few more.

Or should I say in English…ummm …“it taste like rose.” Or should I saym “Like a rose thrills you my love, this bun tastes as sweet.” No I should say…“it taste good” now there is something that really quantifies it.

I dunno. Study more ya tasteless fool.

One phrase I’ve heard a bit in the mainland but never, ever in Taiwan is 以食為主 which basically means, “Take cuisine as the most important thing.”

If I had to take a bawan 肉圓 as the most important thing in my life, I think I’d step in front of a gravel truck.

Yi shi wei zhu. Frack the mainland (China to me). You are in Taiwan.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]This cements my idea that Taiwanese people aren’t very passionate about their eating habits.[/quote]???

Tell me that again after lining up for two hours in a tiny nondescript village just to get a meat bun.

Tell me that after compiling a list of the hundreds of local specialities.

Tell me that after the twentieth or so time of telling people you went somewhere at the weekend and the first thing they ask you is: “What did you eat?”

You might be right about there not being too many “grades” for food in Mandarin, at least in common spoken language. But that doesn’t mean that people don’t care about food.

I mean describing the level of good good eatedness.

Delicious
Scrumptious
Delectable
Tasty

etc…

Hao suan and hao tian are just sour and sweet.

Doesn’t say anything about how much you enjoyed the food.

i think that will hold true for most concepts in general. the word vacuum we call english has a far richer vocabulary than chinese, any other language in fact unless i am mistaken.

if you think about it though “haochi” “henhaochi” or “feichanghaochi” etc should really take care of most situations :slight_smile: actually in english i’m sure i would use either delicious or good/very good/great/outstanding/other words generally meaning “good” in the great majority of situations.

There’s also 美味 (delicious) and 可口 (tasty) (or a combination: 美味可口) , but these are more flowery-sounding and used more often in writing than in speech.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]In Chinese there are no adjectives for telling about the level of how good something tastes as far as I know.

It seems silly to me.[/quote]

To infer from your own lack of vocabulary a lack of vocabulary in the Chinese language or a lack of passion for food among the people seems like a ludicrous logical error to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thinking of the Taiwanese, food can also be:

Sui

Zan

QQ

The Taiwanese aren’t into their food? No way!

HG

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]I think that will hold true for most concepts in general. the word vacuum we call English has a far richer vocabulary than Chinese, any other language in fact unless I am mistaken.

if you think about it though “haochi” “henhaochi” or “feichanghaochi” etc should really take care of most situations actually in English I’m sure I would use either delicious or good/very good/great/outstanding/other words generally meaning “good” in the great majority of situations.[/quote]

On the contrary…

Aside from adjectives to describe the food like
好吃
味道好
美味
可口
鮮美

and nouns to describe the good food
佳肴
美食

there are phrases to describe your condition after eating the good food
回味無窮
大飽口福

Perhaps Chinese people are just more specific when they praise or otherwise describe the food by naming specific properties that are good, so they may say 好鮮!很香!

Lest you think people don’t care about their food, here is a short list of some vocabulary about food. Note each one is different from the other… the differences may be subtle.

Aside from the tastes

辣 and 麻

and smells

there are textures

and way things are mixed

of course… so many ways to cook

(水)下
(水)穿
and prepare

etc.

Bei Bai!!! Wo you cut and paste han fang zai yi ge word.doc file.

Chou

[quote=“zeugmite”][quote=“Tempo Gain”]I think that will hold true for most concepts in general. the word vacuum we call English has a far richer vocabulary than Chinese, any other language in fact unless I am mistaken.

if you think about it though “haochi” “henhaochi” or “feichanghaochi” etc should really take care of most situations actually in English I’m sure I would use either delicious or good/very good/great/outstanding/other words generally meaning “good” in the great majority of situations.[/quote]

On the contrary…

Aside from adjectives to describe the food like
好吃
味道好
美味
可口
鮮美

and nouns to describe the good food
佳肴
美食

there are phrases to describe your condition after eating the good food
回味無窮
大飽口福

Perhaps Chinese people are just more specific when they praise or otherwise describe the food by naming specific properties that are good, so they may say 好鮮!很香!

Lest you think people don’t care about their food, here is a short list of some vocabulary about food. Note each one is different from the other… the differences may be subtle.

Aside from the tastes

辣 and 麻

and smells

there are textures

and way things are mixed

of course… so many ways to cook

(水)下
(水)穿
and prepare

etc.[/quote]

Great list.

My Chinese does suck. I guess my original post was a bit harsh and ignorant. Most of the time I hear people say simply Hao Che.

Like the KFC commercial where the woman at the end screams in a whiny voice “Hao Hao Che Ahhhh”

I need to get off my lazy ass and study.