Adopted shelter pup w/ distemper

Any body else experience adopting a shelter pup to find out 2-3 days later that it has canine distemper and roundworms?

My gf adopted one from the shelter but now doesn’t want to take care of it. It’s been seven days since the adoption and the pup seems to be recovering but this experience has shaken up my gf. Taking it back to the shelter has crossed her mind but it may be not a good thing as it may be euthanized. There doesn’t seem to be a good solution to this as I don’t own any pets and don’t plan to.

Any advice or potential adopters?

The dog was sick but now seems better, so what’s the issue?

Your girlfriend does not want to take care of a sick animal.
Nice girl. Sending it back to the pound will result in it being killed. Using pretty words like euthanasia doesn’t make it sound more acceptable.
Having a dog is a privilege and a responsibility.

It is typical of the Taiwanese. Get a dog because it cute or popular or cool.
As soon as it involves some work, the dog gets dumped.
I have a mate with ten dogs he found dumped in this manner. That’s responsibility.

Maybe I sound harsh, but I mean to be. You need to sit her down and explain that the dog is a living thing, and she needs to be a responsible adult.

Well … worms she could deal with, but distemper is a serious disease which (AFAIK) isn’t treatable. If it’s only a small puppy it’s quite likely to die, unpleasantly, and euthanasia might be the kindest option. Don’t take it back to the shelter though - they probably just bash their heads in with a 2x4. Awful places. The poor dog probably caught distemper at the shelter.

Are you absolutely sure it is distemper though? If it’s recovering, it probably isn’t distemper - and in that case, what’s the problem?

And please do not put the blame on being “a shelter puppy”. A “pure” bred from a puppy mill, being sold on a pet store in a bin as if he was cat food, is also as likely. All it takes are cramped conditions, being taken too early away from parents, not enough nutrition, and the virus is rampant. People pay 20K or more for a fancy pet and do they get a vaccinated puppy? No. Do they get a vet check beforebuying? No. The pet is sold like this season’s hot jacket in a night market, and a said, is as likely to end up on the street if he anything but sneezes. All it would have taken to be safe from distemper was a vaccine…

Roundworms an issue? You have to be kidding. Parasites are constant. Dogs have to be given anti parasite medicine regularly. Especially against heartworms. Taking care of a dog requires a lot of discipline. Daily walks, regular baths, yearly vaccinations and health checks. Monthly applications of flea/tick medicine. We are talking serious time and money investment, not to say emotional, as you get attached to the furry creature. Seeing your dog sick is heartbreaking. But it happens, sometimes even in with teh best care, bought or adopted, sickness may still rear its ugly head. And it is expensive and heartbreaking.

Please take care of doggie until he gets better. With good care, he may get better. Then, if your GF is still set on no pets, find a home willing and able to handle the responsibility. Please do not take doggie back to teh shelter, where they do not have the time nor resources to treat him/find another family. He stands a better chance of surviving and becoming a happy dog if he stays with you now. Think of the good karma you’ll earn if you do the right thing. Think of the bad vibe of letting it go.

I did spend some time explaining the responsibilities but in the end it is never easy to change people’s minds. Anyways, I did take it to the vet and it did receive medical attention for canine distemper, cold, and roundworms. The vet said to the pup back in 3 days to check its progress. The pup hasn’t totally recovered but she’s a fighter. I do see progress though. Hope it isn’t a temporary improvement.

I’ll try my best to give it the proper care it needs until it makes a full recovery.

[quote=“bigduke6”]It is typical of the Taiwanese. Get a dog because it cute or popular or cool.
As soon as it involves some work, the dog gets dumped.[/quote]

It’s more typically American; around 3 million unwanted dogs get killed in US shelters each year. Please try not to use racist comments in your posts. Thank you.

Awful place, yes, but this is an unfair untruth.

Racist? I admire what you do, but please don’t talk nonsense.

I would also quite confidently say that more dogs get put to sleep here per capita, than in the US.

I also have it on good authority that when dogs are killed in the shelters, the drug just stops their breathing, and they basically suffocate, while being fully aware of what’s going on.

[quote=“bigduke6”]Racist? I admire what you do, but please don’t talk nonsense.

I would also quite confidently say that more dogs get put to sleep here per capita, than in the US.

I also have it on good authority that when dogs are killed in the shelters, the drug just stops their breathing, and they basically suffocate, while being fully aware of what’s going on.[/quote]

It’s racist to make generalized derogatory comments.

No, you’re wrong. About 200,000 die in shelters here every year. The US is an animal-welfare nightmare in many areas, and this is one of them. One dog per 100 people is killed in shelters each year. Here, it’s about 1 in 115.

Nonsense? I wish it were.

A puppy can live for a long time before the distemper actually affects it. I once found a puppy, and it tested positive for distemper. It took 5 months for the distemper to actually hit it. It is easier for older dogs to survive. Good luck! What is your vet doing about it? Do you know if it survived distemper or is it still going to strike her? she should be getting medication and shots from the vet to prepare her for it.

The first signs will be a fever, then lack of appetite, then nasal discharge. Make sure that she is fed well, and strong enough so that she can fight it. Also, it is highly contagious, keep her away from other dogs, especially young pups or dogs that aren’t vaccinated.

Well, the pup has had distemper symptoms for around 5 days. Diarrhea, nasal discharge, loss of appetite, poor motor capabilities, etc. are some problems that it is experiencing. It seems to be fighting the virus and did get better but she isn’t out of the woods yet. The vet did give her an injection to fight secondary infection 3-4 days ago. Tomorrow she’ll see the vet again. From what I’ve read on the internet, the symptoms can run 2-3 weeks before it clears.

Poor thing, her suffering breaks my heart.

Awww good luck. Yeah, she is in it now. Hang tight, keep her nice and warm and comfort her. Is she walking backwards?

I watched her breath her last breath before she left us tonight. I know she tried hard to hang on but her body couldn’t take it anymore.I had hoped to see a miracle but I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

Yesterday she put her head in my hand and wagged her tail even though she was in pain. I really wanted her to get well. I tried everything. I took her to the vet, cared for her night and day…

It breaks my heart to lose her like this. I hope that NiNi is in a better place now.

sorry for your loss.

[quote=“Skater bum”][quote=“finley”]Well … worms she could deal with, but distemper is a serious disease which (AFAIK) isn’t treatable.

This is complete nonsense. I didn’t read the rest of the thread but I hope someone pointed it out. Every temper issue with any dog is treatable. You need to work with the dog everyday.

Start by walking it with a leash every night teaching it how to sit. Use treats or bits of hotdog. Make your lazy ass girlfriend do it as well.[/quote][/quote]
Did you happen to notice that the dog died? Obviously not. :unamused:

I’m so sorry to hear the puppy passed away. A dog we had also had distemper. It’s a horrible thing and you can’t do much but keep it comfortable and see if it pulls through on its own. Don’t knock yourself around over it. You took on a responsiblility from someone not capable of dealing with the responsibility and it sounds like you did your very best to help the pup. Having been in a similar situation (a kitten with cat flu, friend picked it up off street, it got sick, then wanted to dump it before it died in house; I tried to care for it but it still died), I can still remember the frustration of being put in that situation, and the guilt and sadness associated with the kitten’s death. Just believe you did all you could in the situation you were put in.

[quote=“8te”]I watched her breath her last breath before she left us tonight. I know she tried hard to hang on but her body couldn’t take it anymore.I had hoped to see a miracle but I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

Yesterday she put her head in my hand and wagged her tail even though she was in pain. I really wanted her to get well. I tried everything. I took her to the vet, cared for her night and day…

It breaks my heart to lose her like this. I hope that NiNi is in a better place now.[/quote]

So sorry to hear about that. However, she was loved until her last breath, you did all humanly possible. Rest assured there is a canine angel by your side, grateful for the love you shared.

I am so sorry to hear about her death. Thank you for trying so hard. It is the absolute worst thing to imagine a life with your new friend and then having her die. It is a horrible disease, one I wish I never had to learn about in such a hard way.

At least you were there with her. At our last moments, that’s the best we can hope for. I’ve been in this situation too. It’s humbling as well as sad, because it forces us to recognise that however powerful we humans think we are, sometimes we’re not.

Distemper is fatal in 80% of the pups that get it. You did all you could. Do you need help taking care of her body?