ADSL Connection

I dl a lot of stuff from newsgroups…I am now in usa…the adsl in taiwan they should have same newsgroup that are here in the states right? anywhere in the world you can acces newsgroups?

okthen01,

The newsgroups that will be available to you (in the US or anywhere) depend on what your ISP is willing to provide you with. If your ISP does not offer a specific group that you would like to subscribe to you can always look for a free, public newsgroup server (newzbot.com/) or you can subscribe with a newsgroup provider for a small monthly fee (usually <$10US). Search google for “newsgroup providers”

exactly what’s newzbot.com ? and what’s their news server address? can’t find it

if you use ADSL 24x7 ( kazaa d/l :laughing: ) what is approx bill at end of the month for 1.5 link ?

These are the current Hinet Rates:
hinet.net/english/service/index.htm

To sum it up: For my 1.5 link flatrate, I pay

NTD 2,088 for the first month (including installation)
NTD 1,588 for the 2nd to 6th month
NTD 1787 for the 7th to 24th month

If you use the internet within a certain limit of time per month, it’s somewhat cheaper. The rates above are the highest applicable rates per month and can be considered as flatrate.

HTH
Iris

ADSL charges by hourly? unlike usa’s one month fee? there any other adsl company that charge like one month flat fee or

okaythen,
ADSL here is basically a flat-fee for one month’s service. However, if you use a very small amount of time you will pay less. For example, from hinet’s english site: the lowest per month cost for ADSL is 299 for 512K/64K. This includes 8 hours of on-line time for the month. Each additional minute on-line costs 0.6NT/minute. The maximum monthly charge will be 499. No matter how many minutes you use it, the most you will pay them is 499 for this speed of connectivity. There rate for 1536/384K is 888 per month for unlimited use. Remember, these rates are just for the ISP. The phone company tacks on 600 or more (for faster speeds) for the pipe every month so you have to figure that in, too.

okaythen:
exactly what’s newzbot.com ? and what’s their news server address? can’t find it

okaythen,
newzbot is not a news server, but it is a list of active, public (read: free) news servers. As its name implies, the list on this site is compiled automatically and constantly to give you pretty recent and reliable info.

Hope that helps

Why not just use google groups, everything is there.

The monthly fee you pay (to chunghwa) is for telephone line lease and because of the spitter-box you only need one line to go on the net and make telephone calls. In fact, if you already had a phone line before you don’t need a second line.

I have two lines, one for (cable)modem -one way cable- and one for the telephone. If I could get adsl then I could cancel on line and it would be a lot cheaper, but allas I can’t get adsl here due to the distance to the main telephone hub (over 6.2 km).

My monthly net connection costs about 4000 NT$, this includes phone connection costs and giga net fee. And for what? Bad service, low connection speeds, and tons of spam. And … I have to dail up. But I have no choice. I even think that giga gives/sells out the e-mail addresses.

I think that paying 1500 - 2000 NT$ for a good adsl service is a better deal than what i have now.

Google groups is great for most of your news needs. However, many people use newsgroups for more than just text-based info.
From Google Groups Help:

Can I access binary content on Google Groups?
No. Google Groups does not archive any binary content.

Many binary groups, at least the legit ones, will probably be offered by a decent broadband ISP. Otherwise, you’d have to find a public server or pay for a monthly subscription.

kozmocat thanks that was very helpful

okaythen,

your welcome, glad I could help. I used to read newsgroups a lot back in the US but without DSL I have gotten out of the habit.

If you have any other questions, just post 'em!

hey I asked you questin about newsgruop before, I am wondering what’s the best dsl or cable company in ROC that has the best newsgroup server? and is there a dl limit…thanks

there was the url u gave me to have free nesgroup servers…is the url still the same? I didn’t look into it much…I am gonna see what’s it about…thanks