ADSL restricted to one computer

The wife got internet connection on some special deal via some company but essentially it is Chung Hwa.
They came and connected it to my desktop, and I had internet

Last week I bought a laptop and WLAN. I connected the WLAN to the ChungHwa ADSL box, and then back into my computer, so in theory I have a hardwired connection to my desktop and wireless to my laptop. The WLAN user manual says this is possible.
Laptop has no problem since I can connect to the neighbors WLANs

Anyway when I tried to connect to the internet from my desktop I could not connect and when I tried via Wireless (obviously) it did not work either. When I reconnected the desktop directly to the ADSL box I had internet

Two questions

1. Is this what is happening and they can restrict the ADSL to only work with a specific computer?
  2. Is there any way to get around this?

I think it’s just not set up right.
What’s the make/model of your wireless router and I (or someone else) will try to point you in the right direction.

You need to set up a PPPoE connection manually and then try to apply some security to your wireless access (the wireless part will initially allow any man and his dog to use your connection, which you should really try to restrict).

hi there,

I guess it might be related to where
you plugged the ADSL cable to your
Wireless AP, if you plug it to the WAN
port, you should be able to connect
from more than one computer, but
if you plug it to one of the hub/LAN ports
of the AP, then you are in brigde mode,
which basically require your notebook/PC
to connect thru PPPOE and AFAIK CHT
only allows one concurrent connection

To solve this, make sure your ADSL
cable is plugged in the WAN port of your
AP and setup your AP to connect via the
PPPOE account provided by CHT, you’ll
need to do this setup and also restrict
access as irishstu mentioned about

good luck,

Can you use the Windows network setup wizard? It will have you select one computer as the one that connects to the Internet. All other computers connect to the Internet through that one computer.

Since you have a WLAN box you should not do the above.
Just talk to your WLAN box by typing 192.168.0.1
into your internet browser, and confirm its setup and status, that it can
talk to the DSL. Check the instructions for the WLAN box.

I agree with Toe Tag. Do not do what twocs said (sorry twocs), as that is for Internet Connection Sharing (This means one computer connects to internet and then another computer connects to internet THROUGH that computer). It’s just not necessary for you, since you have a router.

P.S. Toe Tag, my router is 192.168.123.254, so they can vary a bit, though the ones you said are certainly the most common.

Anyway, again, as TT mentions, “Check the instructions for the WLAN box.”

Thanks guys

Will try tonight and update you on what happens

Good TNT.
Now one more thing. Once you put your user name and password into your router setup (and make sure you choose PPPoE if it asks), youno longer need to use your special dial up program on your computer. You just open Firefox (or Internet Explorer, I suppose), and it will already be connected to internet.

P.S. You may need to input some IP/DNS numbers into your router too. If it doesn’t work, please tell us. I’m sure we can get you connected.

I changed Network Connections settings on both laptop and desktop so that the IP address and DNS would be automatically obtained…

I inputted the IP Address and DNS of the router into the WLAN. I assume the WLAN could then connect to the router and provided two dummy IP addresses to my laptop and desktop. Internet connection and email worked fine on both laptop and desktop

Quite easy to do actually even for me once I worked through the badly written english instructions that accompanied the WLAN

HINET now has an all-in-one ADSL Modem/WLAN Router:

[quote=“TNT”]I changed Network Connections settings on both laptop and desktop so that the IP address and DNS would be automatically obtained…

I inputted the IP Address and DNS of the router into the WLAN. I assume the WLAN could then connect to the router and provided two dummy IP addresses to my laptop and desktop. Internet connection and email worked fine on both laptop and desktop

Quite easy to do actually even for me once I worked through the badly written English instructions that accompanied the WLAN[/quote]

Nice one, TNT. Well done. :smiley: