Adult Circumcision

Ok, so it’s time to open this subject up again!
Please do not turn this into a debate. I am an adult and have made an informed decision I’d like to get this done. This is not about infant circumcision.

Over the past year I’ve considered getting circumcised, mainly for cosmetic reasons, but I also have a mild case of phimosis (slightly tight foreskin).

It’s not an easy decision to make, but I’ve finally made the decision that I’d like to go ahead with it. All the research and worry I’ve done over the past year is doing my head in.

Before I moved to Taiwan I discussed it with my GP and we were looking at Urologists. Now I’m in Taiwan I don’t really know where to start. I’d like it performed by an experienced doctor and if possible using laser and glue technique (minimal stitches and quicker heal time).

Can anyone else had a circumcision here? Can you recommend a doctor? Was it covered on the NHI? How much did it cost? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

Only phimosis with repeated infection will be covered by NHI, detail seen as follow:
a.嵌頓性包莖
b.曾有發生包皮炎或造成尿路感染者
c.包皮有結疤影響排尿、陰莖勃起或不能將龜頭完全露出者
d.因包皮病灶而須將包皮切除並送病理檢驗者
however, you should ask your Taiwanese doctor when you visit him.

The cost of circumcision ranges from $4,000-6,000 NTD

You could google “割包皮” and Google translate the result for someone’s experience.

Since I work in Tri-Service General Hospital, I would suggest our doctors.
wwwu.tsgh.ndmctsgh.edu.tw/gu/eng … octor.html
or you could also go to other hospital or urology clinic. This is a small surgery.

There’s a rumor saying that back in 30-40 years ago, many Taiwanese men received circumcision during the two years mandatory military service, since it’s a simple surgery that all the military doctors, even those who just graduated from medical school, can do.

[quote=“joey0825”]Only phimosis with repeated infection will be covered by NHI, detail seen as follow:
a.嵌頓性包莖
b.曾有發生包皮炎或造成尿路感染者
d.因包皮病灶而須將包皮切除並送病理檢驗者

You could google “割包皮” and Google translate the result for someone’s experience.

or you could also go to other hospital or urology clinic. This is a small surgery.[/quote]

Joey, you the man. :bravo:

Good luck with the surgery. All I ask is that you don’t post any “before and after” photos.

3 Likes

[quote=“joey0825”]Only phimosis with repeated infection will be covered by NHI, detail seen as follow:
a.嵌頓性包莖
b.曾有發生包皮炎或造成尿路感染者
d.因包皮病灶而須將包皮切除並送病理檢驗者

or you could also go to other hospital or urology clinic. This is a small surgery.

There’s a rumor saying that back in 30-40 years ago, many Taiwanese men received circumcision during the two years mandatory military service, since it’s a simple surgery that all the military doctors, even those who just graduated from medical school, can do.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice joey0825, appreciated!

Hi time warp did you ever get anywhere with this and make a decision, if you did any details on where and how much etc of the procedure?

Hi Andrew,
Yes I went ahead with it. I ended up going to Taiwan Adventist Hospital. They offer traditional for around $10000NT or laser for around $20000NT. Anaesthesia fee is on top of that which is around $5000NT or you can opt to go under local instead.

I ended up going with laser, but I wouldn’t recommend it, I think save your money and go traditional. You’ll end up with a similar result. Healing was absolutely fine, pain was minimal.

1 Like

UPDATE September 2017

So it’s been about 2 years since I got my laser circumcision at Taiwan Adventist Hospital. I just wanted to give a quick follow up and some further advice for anyone looking at getting the procedure done. Information is hard to come by and I would have found this useful when doing my research.

So back in 2015 I went in and arranged my first circumcision. I opted for the laser technique as this is supposed to leave less scarring and give you a neater result. Well… that wasn’t the case for me.

I was left with a normal to high scar line and loose cut. Skin would bunch around my glans and I had a lumpy scar line. I went back twice a few months later, but the doctors told me it was perfectly normal. Personally, it wasn’t the result I wanted initially. I tried to convince myself it was fine but I just wasn’t really happy with the way it looked and felt. I didn’t like the feeling of the skin bunching up when flaccid. During sex a partner asked me if I was circumcised or not. I think this motivated me to go in a third time and get it sorted.

I went back to Taiwan Adventist Hospital. I saw my surgeon Dr. Chen Yongtai. He asked me what ‘fashion style’ I wanted this time. Not funny at all and made me really uncomfortable, like it was a joke. After inspecting me and pulling hard down on my penis he said, if they operated again it would be too tight and I’d experience painful erections. He refused to help me. So I put my foot down and he asked me to come back later that afternoon to see another doctor who could ‘give me what I wanted’.

So, I went back to see Dr. Leonard S. Chuech that afternoon. He was very professional and understood my concerns and what I wanted. I setup the time for the surgery and opted for general anesthesia this time. The first time I got local which I would not recommend. The surgery went extremely well, considering my absolute sheer terror of IV and general anesthesia. He completely removed the old scar and excess skin. Meaning the style was now low and tight. He also altered my frenulum so it wasn’t pulling down when erect. He did such an amazing job, the scar is perfect and it healed so quickly. On my 2 week follow up appointment he said he was very happy with his work and it’s worthy of a commercial (LOL).

I’m now extremely happy with my penis. Skin doesn’t bunch up and it looks fantastic both flaccid and erect. At the end of the day, you only have one penis and I wasn’t going to live the rest of my life with something I wasn’t happy with.

Long story short, if you’re wanting to get the procedure done then consider seeing Dr. Leonard S. Chuech. Here is his information.
https://www.tahsda.org.tw/doctors/doctorcard.php?doctorid=871

If you have any questions I’ll do my best to answer them.

1 Like

Sounds pretty unpleasant. I’d be pretty uncomfortable if my doctor made a joke about surgery to my penis too. Well I’m glad you are happy with it.

If you don’t mind me asking. What was the reason you felt like you wanted to do this as an adult. I’m uncircumcised myself and besides a small period of time in the US when I played sports in the locker room where I realized I was the only one. I’ve never thought about doing it.

I think this quote belongs somewhere in the internet hall of fame, if there is one.

I honestly can’t understand why anyone would subject themselves to this amount of stress for no apparent benefit. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, I reckon. At least the OP came out with everything reasonably intact. There are some real horror stories out there.

1 Like

I think it’s prevelant in the US. Personally I’ve heard some girls there say they were weirded out by uncircumcised penises in bed. One went as far as saying she thought it was gross and disgusting and would never be with a guy with it. Awkwardly she actually was into me but that pretty much was the end of that lol

But I’ve never had an issue with any girls in the US outside of one that mentioned that she never seen one before.

Also I’m really glad I never got it because many European women thinks circumcised is weird. I’m not actually sure how Taiwanese women feel about it. I’ve never actually heard any opinions about it from Taiwanese girls.

I prefer the look and feel of being circumcised.

Well I’m into guys. Guys generally don’t care either way.

1 Like

Was it painful after? I had a phillipino friend who’s custom was to get it circumcised with a knife at 13. Said it was the most painful thing in his life.

Not painful at all. General anesthetic and pain killers. Was fully healed in about 10 days. Your friend on the other hand sounds like he had a totally different experience.

Yeah. He said they used to do it by the ocean on a rock and they would jump into the ocean water to disenfect after… I’m not sure what that’s about. Some right of passage to manhood or something

I realize this is a man thread, and a topic of personal preference, but my preference (as a woman) is uncircumcised. My adult son is also intact.
I must commend @timewarp for his bravery. It is truly a leap into the unknown. How does a man know whether it is better with or without until he has actually experienced both? I’ve heard horror stories of botched jobs. How did you decide that is what you wanted? I’m piqued.

Hi timewarp, I will get my circumcision with Doctor Leonard in next two weeks. I choose local anesthesia instead since general anesthesia has more complicated procedure. I consider about the pain during the surgery and after the surgery. Is the pain really minimal? How abour during morning erection after the surgery? Can you share a little bit more. Thanks

Phantom limb syndrome?

Hi Motorid,

How did everything go? I am considering circumcision and am weighing up getting it done before I head back to Taiwan. I’m from Australia but it’s pretty expensive here and the standard of care is similar.
I’m a little anxious and having 2 good reviews would ease my mind!

Do you mind me asking how much it was and if there was any pain with the local anesthesia?