Adult wanting to have foster parent removed from her ID

Long story but essentially my partners mother made her second partner her daughters legal father. She had no legal father on record prior. My wife didnt even know until ee got together and I asked who it was on her ID. I know…

Long story short they got divirced over 20 years ago. He is for lack of a nicer way to put it, a piece of shit. Violent, gambles, always in debt etc. We never see him but I started getting worried when.our company started taking off (in my wifes name)and started wondering if he gets in debt and dies, is there any possibility his problems can become ours?

Second, more likely, worry is illegal loans and the debt collectors come. This has happened with other members of his family when he borroeed too much. They changed names and abandoned their house and moved away.

So we want to get rid of him and his legal connection to my wife for said reasons. But am greatly unaware even tge vocabulary to start reading about the process. In theory he wouldnt care, but who knows…bit of a whacko.

Appreciate any suggestions or places to start!

Fyi

Article 1081 of
Civil Code

fostr is 收養 in Chinese.

The article in Chinese is

養父母、養子女之一方,有下列各款情形之一者,法院得依他方、主管機
關或利害關係人之請求,宣告終止其收養關係:
一、對於他方為虐待或重大侮辱。
二、遺棄他方。
三、因故意犯罪,受二年有期徒刑以上之刑之裁判確定而未受緩刑宣告。
四、有其他重大事由難以維持收養關係。

2 Likes

Great thank you very much! Will read together with her tomorrow. Then discuss first step. Mom is on board and we can use a lawyer if need be but should read the law carefully first. This is a good furst step as we are all pretty ignorant on the subject.

My girlfriend had a very similar experience to your wife except it was her biological father. She hadn’t seen him since she was seven years old. One day he showed up at her sister’s office. At the time, she was the executive secretary at a US branch office of a fortune 500 company. He wouldn’t leave until she gave him some money. Real scum bag. She and her sister both legally divorced him fearing that they would be stuck with all his debts and bills. I’m not sure the process but they filed the paper and had to make a video statement explaining why they wanted to divorce him. She had made it pretty compelling so that it would be approved. She explained how she witnessed her father beating her mom when she was a kid and she’s been permanently scarred and afraid of him since. So yeah, definitely would legally divorce him asap because once he’s dead it’s too late.

Should definitely do that. You can decline inheritance incl. debt, but in Taiwan parents also can sue their children for support when they can not support themselves anymore.