Advantages of being an ABC in taiwan

I guess he means Nordic looking. I once asked a very attractive Spanish lady where she hails from and she replied “I am Spanish, but white Spanish”. I’ve never heard nordic peoples describing themselves like that.

I can converse and order food on my own with ease, but writing formal essays is still a challenge.

exactly what do you mean by “white”?? northern europeans? how about southern europeans who are olive or dark skinned like italians and greeks or spaniards and portuguese? eastern europeans like albanians or turks? what about middle eastern people who are light skinned and caucasian enough to maybe pass as europeans? what, are there only two races in the world - asians and caucasians/anglos in the world and no other races exist? or do you mean those are the only two races found in taiwan and therefore considered available for hire?

those would be considered white, why not? but blonde hair, pale skin, blue eyes, tall, slim thats the white asian people like the most lets be honest. theres levels to this!

Lol using the ABT card doesn’t work in Taiwan. In Taiwan, the thinking goes, you look like a Taiwanese, so you must understand Taiwanese society, culture, etc.

If you are fluent in English and Mandarin and don’t need a work permit, there are employers who prefer you than foreigners and locals.

Imo, the ABT card means bilingual/bi-culture and/or less paperwork.

1 Like

I did not write that.

from my experiences, the assumption is that ABT can’t speak Chinese well.

well, if mom and dad left Taiwan and had kids born overseas, then their children are more than likely good or better at Chinese
however, their own children probably have zero to minimal level of Chinese

If the job requires it, just take some time to write it. Reading the newspaper is a really really good way to learn the “grammar” and some words. Make sure you read something that you’re interested in though, otherwise it’s just not fun.

I read online news articles everyday in Chinese. I think it’s just that I need to start writing essays using higher level vocabulary in Chinese.

I have never taken classes at NTU or NTNU, but I hear it works. Another way you could go is to find a fluent friend or tutor to give you assignments to fulfill. Otherwise, you could slack (I know I would).

Good luck!

I’m going to look for essay prompts online

Maybe you could start with an essay about being an ABT in Taiwan.

1 Like

I agree!

Write in Chinese about all your experiences in Taiwan first.

You might wish to divide your experiences into categories such as culinary delights, glow and flow of Taiwanese, natural scenery, passions and sentiments, etc etc.