Advertising for privates

I have drafted up some 1 page flyers in mandarin that I had intended to post up in my ‘community’ and perhaps even some others in the vicinity that advertise my availability as an experience private english teacher. Then I had some sobering second thoughts…

Is this a bad idea because of potential ‘whistle-blowers’ or are the risks minimal? If risks are minimal, what specific language (if any) should I avoid using in my advertsisement. Thanks.

It’s only illegal if you’re not legally allowed to freelance. And to do that, someone would have to check your ARC to make sure. I’d say you’re safe.

I’m not sure, but I was under the strong impression that freelancing was prohibited for foreign workers in Taiwan under most circumstances.

Reasoning: In order to do any work legally, you need a work permit. In order to get a work permit, you need an employer. You cannot be your own employer here (self-employed) in most circumstances. The only exception to that restriction that I am aware of is getting the permanent resident ARC (APRC?). Marriage or staying here long enough can qualify you. If you do that, then the working restrictions are lifted.

If this is accurate, the OP should indeed beware of posting advertisements for privates. I have actually heard that example given as one of the main reasons for deportation for illegal working (i.e., someone who drew unnecessary attention to his/her unofficial teaching).

Maybe someone who has first-hand knowledge/experience will confirm or clarify this.

I would tend to be more cautious as well, and agree more with seeker4’s comments above.

I’m married to a local and I have my JFRV. Does this mean I would still need to get a work permit to start a private tutoring business?

I thought on one of the threads it said that you did not need a work permit to work at a buxiban if you had your JFRV. New rules or something.

[quote=“Drewfus”]I’m married to a local and I have my JFRV. Does this mean I would still need to get a work permit to start a private tutoring business?

I thought on one of the threads it said that you did not need a work permit to work at a buxiban if you had your JFRV. New rules or something.[/quote]
You’re in the clear. You have open work rights - if you like, you can drive a taxi or deliver pizzas.

Taxes, that would be one of the only reasons anyone or agency (MOF) would care. It’s all about the money. Some local bushibans may not be happy about your illegal business, seeing as they have to jump through many hoops to get licensed and be able to hire foriegn teachers while some foreigner opens up his house for nothing. Every year when bushibans fill out thier earnings there is a place for them to report any illegal bushibans in the area. Step carefully, I would start with a few and build by word of mouth, I think adverts will cause you some undue attention. Just my thoughts. Good luck.