Advertising in ESL magazines

Has anyone ever placed an ad in one of those big ESL magazines? You know, the ones they sell by the rack in Eslite and Hess.

I’ve seen Doctor Eye advertised in there, electronic dictionaries too.

I inquired to a few of the magazines and they seemed to think I was bothering them. Circulation statistics were either very rough or confidential. Prices were 70-100k per month for a full page.

Anyone try this before?

If a publication will not reveal circulation stats to advertisers be very very wary.

Ask if they do inserts or “blow-ins”(might just be a US name for inserts) as an alternative. Could be cheaper.

Are you talking about stuff like Studio Classroom or Live ABC?

If so, I suspect that they won’t really want your business. You are, to some extent, a competitor.

Those mags are crap anyway.

Thanks guys.

TainanCowboy, good point, the one company told me that they don’t give out circulation numbers as policy, so there’s a sign right there that it can’t be going well. I mean, if they had 500,000 magazines sold each month, I don’t think they’d let professional modesty get in the way of a good brag.

The other one said that they printed 60-80,000 a month, the operative word being printed. Solid maximum, unknown minimum. Good spin on their part, but not really useful for me. I suppose they wouldn’t print that many each month if they didn’t sell most of them, but who knows for sure.

Tmwc, yes, I think it was those two that I talked with. They each have a lot of different magazines in print. Do they also arrange classes or something? I would be flattered if they considered my humble website a competitor, but that would certainly explain the attitude. It took a long time for them to reply to our inquires, and when they finally gave us the quotes, it felt like it was the please-go-away special price. Can’t be sure.

Actually, many of these magazines are read by high school students. I 'm not sure that this market would be the one you need to focus on.

Sure you could spend your money advertising there, but I think you’d be overwhelmed by the disappointment at the lack of interest. You perhaps should focus on a magazine that has a broader appeal.

Kenneth

Taiwanease?
24/7?
TaiwanFun?

Any suggestions? Where would you advertise to find private students?

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Actually, many of these magazines are read by high school students. I 'm not sure that this market would be the one you need to focus on.

Sure you could spend your money advertising there, but I think you’d be overwhelmed by the disappointment at the lack of interest. You perhaps should focus on a magazine that has a broader appeal.

Kenneth[/quote]

Thanks, Kenneth. The high school student thing is troubling. They certainly don’t have hundreds of NT per hour to spend on English lessons. I did notice one magazine called CNN, and that seems a little more like the right market.

A general interest magazine would be good, I guess, but it would have to have an overlapping market. I have no idea about this.

Good options there. We have tried TaiwanFun before. My main concern with these ones is audience. I think a lot of people who read these ones are either English teachers themselves or are connected in that way.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

I think TaiwanFun / Compass is mostly read by well-off housewives who fancy themselves international - you don’t think all those articles about mountain teashops are for ESL teachers, do you? :wink:

I also work with a study-abroad agency which advertised in TaiwanFun for a year. Not one response.

I have this theory that people learn English for a reason, not for fun, so marketing aimed at English students should reflect their ultimate goal. If we didn’t get any response from ads for study abroad, then what’s the goal of the ‘students’ reading Taiwan Fun? My guess is that there are no students reading Taiwan Fun.

The CNN mag is published by LiveABC. Personally I think it’s crap. All these publications are full of English with Chinese characteristics, GEPT-style. There’s a market for that stuff, but it’s not usually met by foreign teachers.

That said, there are plenty of high school students with 1-1 tutors. The tutors are chosen and paid for by the parents, who probably don’t read the magazines you were looking at. Have you done any research into what kind of students your teachers usually end up with? The customer and the consumer are not necessarily the same person.

Assuming that everyone using your site is an adult looking for an adult tutor may not be the right thing to do. They may be adults with no interest in learning English themselves, looking for someone to tutor their kids.

:bulb: You don’t need to advertise in English-teaching magazines. You need to advertise in the magazines, or other media, read by the people who pay for the classes. :bulb:

If your audience is mostly adults, why not try online advertising through sites like yahoo auction and kiiji? Done right, you can work within the rules and pay only 7ntd per week per ad. Or, how about finding university publications, or their online equivalents? Probably cheap (some places I advertise only ask me to pay their photocopying costs, for example) and more your target audience. Takes a bit of homework but can be really effective.