Advertising ... reflecting Taiwan society

Now take this TV ad …

Sales person of the year … full convention room … General manager is speeching and than pointing to the sales guy of the year … camera panning and zooming on to this person slurping up his bowl of instant dry-noodles … only in Taiwan.
When people see these ads don’t you think they conlcude that it’s OK to eat and slurp your bowl of whatever anywhere they go/are even when it’s inappropriate … :s

what are you trying to say that manners are important?

who caress if you have money you don’t need manners. :wink:

That’s exactely what I mean … It’s featured in most ads on TV promoting food … no manners … it’s pathetic how they can’t figure out an other way to do this kind of advertising

Check out this ad from Korea.

youtube.com/watch?v=32c8Ke7VF2E

hubba hubba

I like the korean ad, but talking about bad manners check this out from the Uk. It was one of the most complained about ads of the year.

youtube.com/watch?v=LVjZl_PKdow

[quote=“StuartCa”]I like the Korean ad, but talking about bad manners check this out from the Uk. It was one of the most complained about ads of the year.

youtube.com/watch?v=LVjZl_PKdow[/quote]

Disgusting …

Ireally don’t mather.

Whatever they try to make my buy I just don’t feel like it.

So far I have seen no advertising in Taiwan that apeel to me. Rather the oposite.

Everyting is so fake or sugar sweet it make me pjuke.

[quote=“belgian pie”]Now take this TV ad …

Sales person of the year … full convention room … General manager is speeching and than pointing to the sales guy of the year … camera panning and zooming on to this person slurping up his bowl of instant dry-noodles … only in Taiwan.
When people see these ads don’t you think they conlcude that it’s OK to eat and slurp your bowl of whatever anywhere they go/are even when it’s inappropriate … :s[/quote]You must realy think Taiwanese are stupid. Or maybe you made that mistake so you think they would too? Get real.

[quote=“Hobart”][quote=“belgian pie”]Now take this TV ad …

When people see these ads don’t you think they conlcude that it’s OK to eat and slurp your bowl of whatever anywhere they go/are even when it’s inappropriate … :s[/quote]You must realy think Taiwanese are stupid. Or maybe you made that mistake so you think they would too? Get real.[/quote]
Ouch! That’s gotta hurt! :laughing:

[quote=“Hobart”][quote=“belgian pie”]Now take this TV ad …

When people see these ads don’t you think they conlcude that it’s OK to eat and slurp your bowl of whatever anywhere they go/are even when it’s inappropriate … :s[/quote]You must realy think Taiwanese are stupid. Or maybe you made that mistake so you think they would too? Get real.[/quote]

I’m real, and that’s going on in the real world in Taiwan … people have no, and won’t get good manners if not properly eductated.

oh … BTW there is absolutely no creativity in Taiwanese ad agencies …

[quote=“belgian pie”]I’m real, and that’s going on in the real world in Taiwan … people have no, and won’t get good manners if not properly eductated.[/quote]Oh I see, its your White Man’s Burden, and you are the proper white man to teach them. That is pretty racist and condescending to say the least. If I was Taiwanese I would kick you in your Belgian pie hole.

Kick all you want … it’s reality, the only food ads I’ve seen are of slurping, burping, individuals … and they ar not funny as they are probably meant to be in the art-directors eyes … I can’t really understand that the client goes for this … but than hey I don’t understand Taiwanese culture

Yes, that would be one way to prove you were Taiwanese.

Oh BTW, did you read through all the posts … don’t think so … you’d have seen what I posted about the KFC ad in the UK … so I’m not racist, i’m just a little creative challenged perhaps … or maybe my tastes are a little more up-scale …

Yes, that would be one way to prove you were Taiwanese.[/quote]
I am not Taiwanese, and I wouldn’t want to be either, they have atrocious manners. :wink: :wink: :laughing:

Manners, good or bad, are based on how you were bought up and how your society views them. The Taiwanese don’t consider it bad to burp, slurp or talk with their mouths full.

When i’m with my girlfriends family and I burp and say “excuse me” they think it’s funny. I don’t slurp my noodles or soup but they say it cools them down. And talking with their mouthsfull, well my girlfriends argument is that they take smaller bites so get away with it.

I also find it odd that the moment the meal is finished they jump up and leave, where all I want to do is stay put and “chew the fat”.

I may not like it and when I get round to bringing up kids here they will be taught western manners because it’s easier to forget them than learn them when you get older.

vive la différence

In Japan it is more polite to slurp. If you don’t, you are insulting the chef. I would not last a week there. I would either starve to death or run into traffic.
I always see the way westerners here rant on about table manners and shake my head. I still just can’t understand the entire “going to another country and then expecting them to act by your country’s manners” bit.

To be honest … in my circle of friends and family … NO ONE slurps his noodles …

What’s polite in one culture isn’t in another.

If you came to my house I’m sure you’d do some things to offend me - wear your shoes inside, say something crude and offensive, but I’d try to just ignore it because I think it would be rude and embarrasing for both of us if I pointed it out.

It’s natural for people to be ethnocentric - to judge someone else’s culture based on their own… but sooner or later you’ve just have to get over it and realise that if you’re in another country and lots of people are doing something that seems impolite to you, then you are probably the odd one out who needs to change his attitude.

This is pretty basic stuff. Taiwanese people don’t need to be educated to your way of thinking, just like every country that’s ever been colonised didn’t need to be spared of their evil ways and be saved by Christianity.

I think I’ll go shoot myself in the brain.