Advice about company politics

I’ve been working at a Taiwan tech company for 1 year, 3 years total in the Taiwan tech scene. I’m the first foreigner in this department and there wasn’t a job description for me when I started. I’ve created new projects that have helped our departmental goals along with regular proofreading/editing tasks. (Not product related, more corporate communications stuff.)

Two weeks ago an opportunity came up in another department doing sales and I’d be stationed in Europe for 2 years. This is exactly what I want to do as I’ve been doing marketing for 3 years and want to get into sales as a next step in my career. Here’s where things get tricky. My current director isn’t happy at all with this situation. a) because she wants me to stay in her department and continue working for her and b) she Really dislikes the director of the department that offered me the job in Europe.

We were very friendly and would chat all the time, but now that she knows another department is interested (and frankly I’m very interested) she has been giving me the huge cold shoulder. The major issue is that I need her approval for an internal transfer. Of course she knows this so the ball is in her court.

From talking with other people I know she feels like I’m being selfish and not thinking about “the team” (which in reality means her team). I feel like she’s being selfish and not thinking about the company’s goals. I feel like she wants to keep me on a leash because some of my work has made her look good in the eyes of the CEO and top management. By denying me this opportunity I’d be extremely disappointed and saddened because that’s a logical step for my career development.

I’ve tried to ask her to lunch so we can try and find a solution but she’s been avoiding me. Finally she agreed to meet me tomorrow afternoon.

I’m writing on here for some advice because I want to know the best way to work this out. I definitely don’t want to burn any bridges and hope she can see this as a positive step for our company and not that she’s losing face because I’m leaving her department. She’s a good manager and we’ve worked well together, it’s just that her department doesn’t offer the same career path and an opportunity to get in the market and help promote our products really motivates me - I want to deliver something (profits) more than just copywriting and proofreading.

If anyone has any tips, advice, or suggestions on how to handle this meeting, I’d be most appreciative. I’m not sure if there are cultural issues I should be aware of or if this just comes down to negotiating so both parties feel like they’re getting a fair deal.

the bottom line is that it’s your career. If you want to move because it’s a great career move then do so. Look after yourself because at the end of the day no one will look after you.

It’s a shame she’s upset, but thats rather selfish of her. A good manager should want the best for you and your career, knowing that at the end of the day you’ll be a loyal member of staff.

Hope you get the job and that she comes round.

And a Taiwanese manager will milk you for all you’re worth, try and take all the credit, and then lay on the personal guilt trip when you don’t do what you’re told.

My experience is that alot of managers expect their team members to be completely obedient, once you start questioning their decisions and motives they don’t know what to do.

In this case your manager is trying to make it personal with you and the other department boss.

I’d stick it to her and see what happens. Worst case scenario you don’t go anywhere in the company for now.

[quote=“StuartCa”]A good manager should want the best for you and your career, knowing that at the end of the day you’ll be a loyal member of staff.

Hope you get the job and that she comes round.[/quote]

Thanks a lot StuartCa. The tricky part (in my company at least) is that it doesn’t seem like she cares if I stay on with the company. As a director she’s in a much more political role so her department is the most important thing to her…though she has to put on a happy face that the company’s goals are a priority. :confused:

I don’t have a problem with being obedient because she has given me a lot of freedom to work on projects, and they’ve seem to have panned out. Having loose reigns is okay for a while, but she hasn’t given me a clear direction/targets/goals. I’ve reached a point now where running around doing this and that passes the time, but doesn’t offer anything to build on. I’m grateful for the opportunity to stretch my legs and try out new ideas, but this new job feels like it’s the right move.

Maybe those with management experience have advice…what would you do if someone on your team was offered an opportunity within the company that you couldn’t match? Not about money, but more about opportunity/experience. If they’re good enough, would you put up an internal fight to keep them? I can understand that approach, but if their heart isn’t in the work anymore, are they the right person for the job?

Managers are so like this in TW. A good friend wanted to jump from one team to another in a big tech company. She approached or was approached by the other manager and let him know that she really wanted to be in his department working on the part of the business she was specifically interested in. She had to resign from (yes, formally quit) her old position and take two weeks off before she could get rehired go to work for the other team… :astonished: The other guy was still bitter when he finally noticed her in the other department. :laughing:

Congratulations on the potential opportunity. I hope it works out for you.

Of course you need to be very nice and polite to your boss, and let her know how much you appreciate the opportunities you’ve had at your company and in her dept. Kiss her ass, but try not to be too overt about it. Then calmly, firmly, politely let her know that you didn’t seek out the new potential position, but when it was mentioned to you you found it intriguing and are confident it would allow you to grow, gain additional valuable experience and increase your contributions to the company. You may mention that, of course you love Taiwan and if you were to transfer overseas you would very much like to return to Taipei, but at this point in your career you believe it would be an outstanding opportunity for further development. Or something like that.

But you should also definitely work on your boss’s boss and on the guy who mentioned the position. Heck, try to build a good relationship with the CEO if you can. Take every opportunity to do good work for them, send them nice clear helpful communications, run into them in the elevator/lobby/gym/canteen and say hello. Build your relationships with all of them and maybe if your boss is difficult you can circumvent her.

Chiayo.

What was the outcome?

If, as you say, the job has been offered to you, what is the hemming and hawing about? Truth is, you haven’t been given a firm offer, but the European manager has been discussing it with you.

It isn’t simply personal politics that your transfer is hitting resistance. Assuming I own this business, I would want to keep you in Taiwan as well, and I might chastise the European manager for thinking about pulling a waiguoren out of the Taiwan office

Why so? Simply put, it is infinitely more difficult to find a ‘good fit’ and stable foreign employee here in Taiwan than it is to hire a marketing person in Europe. By your own account you are the first foreigner in the office here. They value you highly here, and know they are getting you for a bargain. Your absence here creates a bigger hole than it fills in Europe. Get it?

Here is my unsolicited advice:

• Continue to put in for the move, but don’t burn bridges, and be realistic about where your employer’s true interests lie.

• Consider telling your current boss you want a raise, on the premise that there is considerable demand overseas for people like you with Taiwan experience. Yeah, you’ll have to sell it. Basically you are asking her to buy your ongoing good nature given that she has blocked your transfer.

• Burnish your resume and start networking in the event the first two suggestions above don’t pan out.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Congratulations on the potential opportunity. I hope it works out for you.

Of course you need to be very nice and polite to your boss, and let her know how much you appreciate the opportunities you’ve had at your company and in her dept. Kiss her ass, but try not to be too overt about it. Then calmly, firmly, politely let her know that you didn’t seek out the new potential position, but when it was mentioned to you you found it intriguing and are confident it would allow you to grow, gain additional valuable experience and increase your contributions to the company. You may mention that, of course you love Taiwan and if you were to transfer overseas you would very much like to return to Taipei, but at this point in your career you believe it would be an outstanding opportunity for further development. Or something like that.
[/quote]

Thanks MT. I read your advice and used that approach because that’s really how I do feel. The job offer did transpire like you mentioned.

If, as you say, the job has been offered to you, what is the hemming and hawing about? Truth is, you haven’t been given a firm offer, but the European manager has been discussing it with you.[/quote]

You’re right. Nothing has been in writing yet. They’re waiting for the transfer to go through, but my director is still playing the politics game. (She’s quite good at it!)

[quote=“Opihiman”]It isn’t simply personal politics that your transfer is hitting resistance. Assuming I own this business, I would want to keep you in Taiwan as well, and I might chastise the European manager for thinking about pulling a waiguoren out of the Taiwan office

Why so? Simply put, it is infinitely more difficult to find a ‘good fit’ and stable foreign employee here in Taiwan than it is to hire a marketing person in Europe. By your own account you are the first foreigner in the office here. They value you highly here, and know they are getting you for a bargain. Your absence here creates a bigger hole than it fills in Europe. Get it?[/quote]

Got it. :slight_smile: It’s not that I’m the first foreigner in the office (there are 2 others as well) but I’m the first in her department. But the office in Europe needs someone as well and at least there I can be on a team that is responsible for generating revenue.

[quote=“Opihiman”]
Here is my unsolicited advice:

• Continue to put in for the move, but don’t burn bridges, and be realistic about where your employer’s true interests lie.[/quote]

Hoping that they can see that my position in Europe will help increase sales. It appears the bridge is smoking a bit. I don’t know what I did wrong, but my current director is really taking it badly. She feels like her team is losing something, but is forgetting that I’m staying loyal to the company. That’s the part that is frustrating for me. I’m not jumping ship. I’m just moving to a different Business Unit.

[quote=“Opihiman”]

• Consider telling your current boss you want a raise, on the premise that there is considerable demand overseas for people like you with Taiwan experience. Yeah, you’ll have to sell it. Basically you are asking her to buy your ongoing good nature given that she has blocked your transfer.

• Burnish your resume and start networking in the event the first two suggestions above don’t pan out.[/quote]

Plan B…hmmm…seems like I need to start thinking in that direction. :s

I had a similar situation in my company. Was offered a job in our US office. My direct supervisor was supportive, but the managers on the next two levels were not so eager and tried to talk me out of it.

As a manager I would be supportive if any of my staff were offered a transfer that would help their career, but I would of course be concerned about getting a qualified replacement. If you are able to find a suitable replacement for yourself, this may make her come around.