Advice on dealing with a rescued puppy

About 4 weeks ago we rescued a small puppy, and despite making enquiries and sticking up notices have not been able to find her owners, we have now decided to keep the puppy which is approx 5 - 6 months old.

She has already been to the vets to get a small ear problem sorted, and he was talking to us the other day about giving her a series of injections. I remember from being in the UK that this is normal, but as it is many years since i had a new puppy, am not sure - particularly here in Taiwan - of what is required.

Anybody care to give me details of injections required, time spans etc.

Funnily enough, I was just researvhing this myself this morning.

This is great:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/faq_s_and_general_information_.html

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Funnily enough, I was just researvhing this myself this morning.

This is great:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/faq_s_and_general_information_.html[/quote]

SD, thanks for the link. It covers the normal vaccinations required, is there anything else required specifically for Taiwan, i notice that the site is US based, and does not seem to cover this sort of thing.

Sorry - was in a rush earlier.

Pups need the 8 in 1 vaccination 2 times - once at about 8 weeks and again at about 12 weeks - and then again every three to five years. This will protect the dog against distemper, parvovirus, adenovirus types 1 and 2, parainfluenza, coronavirus, leptospira canicola and leptospira icterohaemorrhagiae. Older dogs just need the vaccination once before repeating every three to five years. The vet will give you a book with the shots listed in them.

There is no rabies in Taiwan, but vaccination is required by law: one time only initially then yearly boosters. The vet will give you a separate rabies book and a tag, which the dog should wear at all times; it prevents (for a while) dogcatchers grabbing the dog and it allows anyone to trace you should the dog wander off.

You will also need heartworm preventives - heartworm is prevalent here and very nasty. The dog should be checked for heartworm and, if positive, treated accordingly before starting the preventive course. Ivermectin based drugs are popular here, and Heartguard is a good one, as it also protects your dog against hookworm; there are three dosages you can get, depending on the size of your dog. The medicine comes in meaty chunks that dogs love, and although the box will recommend giving every month, there is a 15 day grace period, so if you are averse to giving your dog a pesticide to eat any more than you have to, you can give him or her Ivermectin every six weeks with full protection. (The preventives only kill the microfilia, not the adult worm, which as mentioned before must be treated differently and very carefully.)

If you intend to keep the dog around many other dogs or board him or her at any point, you would do well to vaccinate against kennel cough (bordetella).

In this climate particlularly, it is also advisable to provide your dog with essential fatty acids (omega 3, 6 and 9) in his or her diet. Most good vets and pets stores carry an all-in-one liquid that is excellent for this, or just add fresh animal or vegetable oils to your dog’s diet regularly (fish oil, flaxseed oil, etc.). Many of the dogs you see with porr skin here would benefit from some omega oils in their diet.

A monthly spray of Frontline will keep your dog free of fleas and ticks, which also carry some nasty diseases. Always check around your dogs toes immediately after walking through long grass or undergrowth.

That’s all I can think of for now, though I’m sure I’ve forgotten something, so I’ll probably add some more later.

Great that you are keeping the pup, by the way! :slight_smile: :bravo:

By the way, if you change the name of your thread, you may get more help. :wink:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Sorry - was in a rush earlier.

Pups need the 8 in 1 vaccination 2 times - once at about 8 weeks and again at about 12 weeks - and then again every three to five years. This will protect the dog against distemper, parvovirus, adenovirus types 1 and 2, parainfluenza, coronavirus, leptospira canicola and leptospira icterohaemorrhagiae. Older dogs just need the vaccination once before repeating every three to five years. The vet will give you a book with the shots listed in them.

There is no rabies in Taiwan, but vaccination is required by law: one time only initially then yearly boosters. The vet will give you a separate rabies book and a tag, which the dog should wear at all times; it prevents (for a while) dogcatchers grabbing the dog and it allows anyone to trace you should the dog wander off.

You will also need heartworm preventives - heartworm is prevalent here and very nasty. The dog should be checked for heartworm and, if positive, treated accordingly before starting the preventive course. Ivermectin based drugs are popular here, and Heartguard is a good one, as it also protects your dog against hookworm; there are three dosages you can get, depending on the size of your dog. The medicine comes in meaty chunks that dogs love, and although the box will recommend giving every month, there is a 15 day grace period, so if you are averse to giving your dog a pesticide to eat any more than you have to, you can give him or her Ivermectin every six weeks with full protection. (The preventives only kill the microfilia, not the adult worm, which as mentioned before must be treated differently and very carefully.)

If you intend to keep the dog around many other dogs or board him or her at any point, you would do well to vaccinate against kennel cough (bordetella).

In this climate particlularly, it is also advisable to provide your dog with essential fatty acids (omega 3, 6 and 9) in his or her diet. Most good vets and pets stores carry an all-in-one liquid that is excellent for this, or just add fresh animal or vegetable oils to your dog’s diet regularly (fish oil, flaxseed oil, etc.). Many of the dogs you see with porr skin here would benefit from some omega oils in their diet.

A monthly spray of Frontline will keep your dog free of fleas and ticks, which also carry some nasty diseases. Always check around your dogs toes immediately after walking through long grass or undergrowth.

That’s all I can think of for now, though I’m sure I’ve forgotten something, so I’ll probably add some more later.

Great that you are keeping the pup, by the way! :slight_smile: :bravo:[/quote]

SD, thanks for this, are there any issues / side effects if the start of the vaccinations is delayed, reason for asking is that we have no idea whether the pup has received anything prior or not, and is now approx 5 - 6 months old.

I have amended the title.

If the pup has been in your care for more than a week, there are no issues that I am aware of.

Many vets prefer to wait three or four days before vaccinating a newly found dog, in case it was vaccinated recently or is harbouring one of the diseases protected against by the vaccine. Waiting three days between vaccinations will, as I understand it, avoud any ‘overdose’ issues, and giving a vaccine to a dog harbouring a disease can actually cause the disease to surface (once again, as I understand it). All the nasty diseases will show themselves in some form or other (fever, diarrhea, etc.) within three to seven days. You may want to consider keeping your dog inside for several days before vaccinating to be sure and two weeks after to avoid exposing to diseases before enough antibodies are present to deal with it.

Do, of course, ask your vet, as he will have more info than I on this matter, but in my experience, this is how it’s usually done.

Good luck!

To amend or add to something I posted earlier, my home vet book suggests two doses of vaccine two weeks apart (for parvo protection) and four weeks apart (for coronovirus protection). :s

Our vets only give the one dose of 8 in 1 to adults - I’ll check tomorrow as to why.