Advice on finding English speaking jobs?

I’m trying to find a more permanent and stable job. Problem is my speaking Chinese is fine for most cases but I can’t really write and can only read at a basic level. I use to manage a gym and was the head trainer there but it got bought out and I’m not sure I will return with the new owners. And I’ve been just freelancing training people and coaching. Although the hourly pay is extremely good. It’s very inconsistent and I have to travel all over which takes time and money. And honestly working at other gyms, the pay is horrible. So I think I might move away from that.

Sounds like it may be time to scrape some capital together and start your own gym. With your knowledge of the industry, experience and connections, it seems like you should be able to make a go of it.

4 Likes

I actually looked into it. I actually was thinking about buying the gym when my friend who owns it wanted to sell it. Unfortunately there’s wayyy to many gyms these days. Small studios that trainers opened. I know many that opened and closed within 6 months to a year. Even big gyms like world gym are not making much money but they have enough capital backing to out last this and wait for some of these smaller gyms to die down.

But yes, I’ve been considering it with some colleagues of mine. Another big problem is location, you want your gym in a nice area where people can spend 2-4K a month a gym membership and lots of personal training. But obviously the rent is also really high in those areas.

One place that’s always offering me high salary to come over is in China. But I’m not to keen on going over there and living there but it doesn’t sound bad at this point with some of the offers they are willing to give me. Gf doesn’t want to go however. So I’m not sure I’m willing to leave her to peruse this, although it does cross my mind and frustrates me that she isn’t willing to try and move with me knowing I’ve been pretty frustrated with jobs here. And I also missed the Victoria secrets fashion show which one gym worked with lol. Doesn’t help seeing that whole thing on TV knowing I could have been there.

Aren’t you planning to head overseas with ya girl soon?

Going back to a college couldn’t be an option?

Idk. She’s really frustrating me in not giving me a plan. Now she changed her mind and think she might stay here longer. On the side note, my dog is very old and sick with pulmonary edema. Maybe had a 1-1.5 years as it’s progressive. And my mom isn’t able to do a lot of stuff post cancer with all the surgeries. So I feel a real lack of control over my life right now. But if we move it will be next summer. So I still need some sort of job for now.

1 Like

I was actually thinking about that. It would however be a risk. I’ve been working for a while and there’s no guarantee that a college will accept me. And I would have to go out of taiwan, ROC citizens can’t apply for international programs and I have to take the entrance exam here for locals. Plus It’s a hard sell to put off work for 2 years to transfer and pay rent and tuition plus living expenses for a degree that might not even be that useful for me.

dump her and move to china bro! Sounds sick!

Sadly this is something I’ve been thinking about. I feel like I’ve made a lot of sacrifices for her and she isn’t willing to make things easier. It’s actually been pretty depressing not working and not being able to find a decent job. I worked really hard since I came to taiwan, often 2 jobs to make my way even with some family help. Now I’m looking back at square 1 at teaching jobs to last me like I was 3 years ago. Nothing wrong with teaching, but it’s not what I want to do.

I’m a little worried about moving my dogs however. Ones sick and old. Not sure how well he will fare in air travel.

What sort of job is it and what is the pay like?

Stuff like operations manager/marketing at gyms. But that’s not important, there’s another thread already talking about it in the past. I’m seeing what jobs I can find here for now.

At the end of the day, it might still be best for you to start your own business. Jobs for English speakers are relatively rare and not well paid on average. Hiring someone, on the other hand, is cheap and people have a good work ethic. As a local, you also won’t have any issues with minimum revenue requirements.

1 Like

Is there a niche which is not properly covered in Taiwan yet and can be added to the offering and get more money out of the clients? Like yoga, nutrition, physiotherapy, etc.

Not really. I’m most interested in working with athletes for strength and conditioning for their respective sports. But most people here don’t put that much stock in athletics like in the west. Not sure that would work.

And, it doesn’t have to be sports related at all. I also worked a lot in marketing, event planning, promoting, sales and other personal services. I’m very flexible in jobs right now.

You’ve got no idea what you’re talking about. People with some experience in marketing/tech can pull in 80-90k easily with not much effort. They are far from rare too. Guess you don’t know what Taiwan exports.

I guess it’s a question whether you consider 80-90k a month well-paid. In the US or most EU countries, I would pay significantly more for a person with the same experience (and probably would have to give them 2-3x vacation days).

True, true. I have my biases as I’m under-30. But that’s more than enough to live on, and it’s something to do for 6 months while you find another job.

I think you gotta look into your guan xi, outside of your gym circle. Not sure if you’re still in contact with your old man, if you dont’ want favors from him, try asking the people that report to him. Doesn’t have to be at the company, but it’s a good way to get the ball rolling.

Not sure if I’m making things up, but I remember you said you were ok with kids. You do have experience teaching. Have you considered looking into coaching (maybe at TAS?) You seem like you have the credentials, outside of a educate degree from a four year university to be a P.E. teacher or even a coach for after school activities.

I won’t lie, I’m feeling epic deja vu while replying to this thread. Could’ve sworn you asked this question before and I gave a very similar answer…

I thought about it, it’s all pretty much in the manufacturing sector and I need to read and write to work here. Unless I go to one of the US offices.

I actually did do stuff with TAS last year and other international schools, but my gf wanted to move so I left all my job and private sessions…so you can see why i’m a little piss at her for saying we are going to move…I find a job out of Taiwan, she doesn’t want to go. Doesn’t know where she wants to go, and now even told me she might just want to stay here…I wish she would be more considerate considering I passed on a great job and left all my contacts for this school year…and even if there will be new openings, won’t be until next school year.

I had similar questions, about Shanghai and leaving a job after one week.

I am asking around, but it’s pretty frustrating that i’m even in this situation.

Have you discussed on this situation with your gf?

I think it might be easier to decide what you want to do and look for ways to do that than to look for what you can do under certain conditions.

1 Like