Advice on new eyeglasses and prescription in Taipei

Hello!

I need a new pair of eyeglasses, both frame and lens. While I am at it, I also need a new prescription as my old ones were starting to feel off.

I live in Taipei, where would you suggest me to go? I am looking for good scratch-resistant lenses with UV/blue light filtering. For the frame, I’d like it big and round, even better if it’s a bit uncommon and not from one of the Luxottica brands (let’s not feed monopolies).

Thank you for any suggestion :slight_smile:

OWNDAYS and JINS are the two most popular quick-service shops to get your prescription glasses. You’ll get your eye-test done, pick out your favorite frame and curate your desired lens features, and they’ll have it all set up and ready to go in an hour or two. I would recommend these places if you’re on a budget. I got one made last year for around 3k NTD.

For more premium shops, you can consider 光明分子眼鏡 Bright Eyes. The tests would be more thorough, the frames would be designer/branded and you could get a lot more bells and whistles with the lenses (such as prism power). Expect to spend about 10-12k NTD here. And it could take a few days to get your glasses. My previous company had a generous vision insurance and I got one made here, and I must say it has been the highest quality glasses I’ve ever owned and lived up to the price.

No matter which one you choose, you would have issues finding a suitable frame if you have a big 外國人 nose :laughing:

3 Likes

Go to your favorite glasses shop. They’ll have an optometrist on staff who can do an eye test and give you the right prescription.