Advice on part-time job for CS student in northern Taiwan (Preferably Taipei)

I’m an PhD student with a scholarship in computer science but I need a bit extra income for about 10h/week.

• I have ARC and work-permit (obviously by the uni)
  • I also can Code, AI/ML design, Teach (both STEM, programming and English), English Editorial and writing stuff (revise and proof-read papers, teaching material).
  • I can also (with not much experience) do basic web development and system administration.

However:

• While I’m fluent English speaker, I’m not native speaker (US/UK/AU/CA/… passport holder)
  • My Mandarin skills is very basic unfortunately, also zero skill in reading Mandarin (I get around with Google Translate).

I don’t know how the market is for such my case and where is the best to look for? any advice? Plus, what is the acceptable target for hour pay? 500 nt/h or 1000 nt/hr?

1 Like

Assisting cram schools with marking and other admin tasks pays ok. More than min wage.

What sorta skills do you have as well?

What do you mean by CS? Like. You’re a Czech student?

Computer science

Thanks for the suggestion. How can I reach for those jobs? I tried to use online (like glassdoor) but they were either required Chinese language or didn’t bother to reply.

Just like Taiwan_Luthiers said, computer science. I made changes to original post

You got any Taiwanese friends? They can help set up an electronic CV on 1111 and 104.

While Tealit is mostly dead, a lot of schools still post there. Check and apply.

And let me know some of your Computer Science skills and/or languages. If anyone asks me, ill send em over here.

What’s you county’s official language(s)?

My programming languages that I know well and experienced in are: Python, Matlab and Julia and with less experience C/C++. I’m mainly work in machine learning and deep learning models, if you want me to be more specific.

I just tried 1111 and stuck in its mobile verification, I will give it another try. Thanks.

1 Like

Call a Taiwanese friend to help you, setting up a CV as a non native speaker is extremely tedious, but then people would be contacting you for jobs.

1 Like

I heard there are serious needs in legacy systems like COBOL and stuff, mainly because a lot of government servers still use legacy systems. But we’re talking people who worked on it when it was in use, and those people are retired already.

1 Like

Good suggestion, Thanks you. I mainly used English online venues like Google and Glassdoor. I’ll give it a try.

Yea, COBOL is very old language and still in demand, just as you said many COBOL developers are now either died or retired. But it doesn’t worth it to embark on learning it. It’s also not easy job bcz most COBOL jobs also needs very experienced dev background (very high traffic servers with time and money critical situation). Not a noob friendly position…

I create a profile in 1111.tw using Google Translate. At least fill most important fields. It’s certainly far from perfect but I think I’ve put the main cases (I will later find a Taiwanese friend, to revise). I found some jobs, but what is the expected range of hourly pay close to my condition? I assumed something like 600 NTD/hr. Is it too low or high for mainly tutor, stem teaching, ESL, programming.