Advice on shaving brush

I recently switched from an electric razor to the traditional safety razor and shaving soap/brush.
The brush was this one:

After a few months it’s sarting to loose hair like an husky in summer. I figured it could be either due to mange or me beeing too stupid. Although I strongly think it’s beeing mange, I want to rule out any possibilites.
I wash it out after every use and i hang it upside-down to let it dry in an ventilated area of the flat. Can I do something else to safe my brush?

No useful advice, but for what it’s worth I’ve been using a Body Shop shaving brush here for years, with no shedding. And I don’t treat it well either - a rinse, and then it’s on the shelf in the humid poorly ventilated bathroom.

1 Like

Chances are it wasn’t made properly in the first place. I’m not familiar with that brand, so do some checking to see if they’re prone to shedding.

1 Like

Don’t know anything about the brand either (and sorry to say I didn’t read your link), but if it’s badger hair then they tend to shed hair as they age. Trick is to buy one that’s super-dense and well-knotted to begin with.

Or so I hear. I have an inexpensive Parker badger brush that I use only in the winter (I think I paid US$60 or so). To me that’s the only time its luxuriousness can be appreciated. The luxury comes from the fact that badger hair retains the warmth from soaking in hot water long enough to retain it while picking up soap, and its very soft application to my face feels like a spa day (to me). I put it away in late February (here in Taiwan).

Otherwise I use a small boar-hair brush from Spain or a very dense, very long “hair” synthetic by Omega. Usually the Spanish boar hair brush (will use tomorrow).

Badger hair brushes are kind of wasted in the sub-tropics, in my opinion. That said, they’re not useless, they’re terrifically luxurious when it’s cold out - and I hope yours is just shedding naturally. Best.

1 Like

I didn’t see the R in brush…

4 Likes