Advise on teaching english on a Marriage ARC

I am living in Taiwan and wondering if I would be deported for teaching English to children under 1st grade? I will have my Marriage ARC, in a few weeks hopefully! Also I have a Bachelors Degree certified by TECO. Along with a Certified CLEAN criminal background check. I am married to a Taiwanese with a child living in Taiwan currently on a Visa. Thanks!!!

Basically under Taiwan law I am just wondering if they will deport me if I am on a Marriage ARC as opposed to a Working ARC?

You’ll do just fine, as long as you wait until you actually have your JFRV in hand.

labrador004, if you have a JFRV (spouse/marriage visa), you really don’t have to worry about getting deported for things like that. I’m not sure what the age rules are exactly, but since your visa will no longer depend on your job, I think that the worst case scenario would likely be a fine. However, please wait for others to comment.

He can gets work rights and can work anywhere

So can any foreigner with a JFRV teach Kindergarten (for example) legally?

So can any foreigner with a JFRV teach Kindergarten (for example) legally?[/quote]

I don’t think so because English-language kindies are actually what’s illegal. When my wife used to teach kindy, she’d get a day off every now and then when the inspectors came. Her boss preferred to use the lower paid assistants only on those days, not the higher paid teachers.

EDIT - I should specify for those that don’t know that my wife is Taiwanese.

Labrador, I have heard different stories regarding this issue. I think your best bet is to consult with Eiger Law just to be safe. You could call the Labor Board directly but you will likely get different answers from different people.

This has turned into one big huggy lovefest. :lovestruck:

OP, I’ve just got me magic abacus out and I’ve worked out the percentage chance of you getting deported if you are on a JFRV and teaching kindy = 0.00001%.

Still a chance, though.

[quote=“tomthorne”]This has turned into one big huggy lovefest. :lovestruck:

OP, I’ve just got me magic abacus out and I’ve worked out the percentage chance of you getting deported if you are on a JFRV and teaching kindy = 0.00001%.

Still a chance, though.[/quote]

Thank ye old abacus for them odds!

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“irishstu”]labrador004, if you have a JFRV (spouse/marriage visa), you really don’t have to worry about getting deported for things like that. I’m not sure what the age rules are exactly, but since your visa will no longer depend on your job, I think that the worst case scenario would likely be a fine. However, please wait for others to comment.[/quote]He can gets work rights and can work [color=#FF0000]anywhere[/color][/quote]This is true, however the individual must be qualified for the position in order to be hired. That would disqualify him for positions that require citizenship such as civil servant (police officer, military, tax bureau) and also disqualify him for positions that require a B.A. (English teacher). Of course since he won’t need to obtain a work permit, it’s highly unlikely that an inspector would ask to see his college diploma during an inspection of any schools where he might be employed. I’ve got an aquaintance who has a JFRV, but no B.A. and he teaches English. When inspectors arrive at the school he teaches at, he’s shows them his JFRV ARC and they don’t hassle him at all, although they should ascertain whether or not he possesses a BA which would qualify him to teach there in the first place.

[quote=“tomthorne”]This has turned into one big huggy lovefest. :lovestruck:

Still a chance, though.[/quote]
Good odds. But those odds don’t mean much when you’re NT150k lighter in the pocket at Taoyuan airport with a one way ticket home.
Although, I don’t think you’ll be deported on a JFRV. Just fined. If caught, that is…

Edit: btw, is there some new regulation now that your degrees have to be authenticated by the Taiwanese representative office in your home country?

Fair point, bismarck. The possible downside is always something to be aware of. From now on I’ll stay in bed all day. But don’t most accidents happen at home! What to do?

Give me an example of a JFRV guy who actually got deported and I’ll rethink my position. Taiwanese brother-in-law and all that.

EDIT: or even fined for that matter.

[quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“bismarck”]
Good odds. But those odds don’t mean much when you’re NT150k lighter in the pocket at Taoyuan airport with a one way ticket home.
Although, I don’t think you’ll be deported on a JFRV. Just fined. If caught, that is…
[/quote]

Fair point, bismarck. The possible downside is always something to be aware of. From now on I’ll stay in bed all day. But don’t most accidents happen at home! What to do?

Give me an example of a JFRV guy who actually got deported and I’ll rethink my position. Taiwanese brother-in-law and all that.

EDIT: or even fined for that matter.[/quote]
As you said, the odds are slim. And as I said, I don’t think you’ll be deported on a JFRV, but slim as the chances are, you could still be fined.
But it’s like running red lights, or driving without a helmet etc in Taiwan. You can get caught and fined, but probably not. Chances are slim (and in the case of traffic violations, possibly let off 'cos you’re a furriner).

But don’t get me wrong, I’m all for having foreigners (JFRV or not) teaching at kindies. Sadly we only have one dude that comes for two hours on a Thursday, but alas, the Taiwanese guy that “teaches” them on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays systematically undoes any good the Canadian bloke does in his two hours a week.

Just mentioning there is a risk is all…

Thanks Northcoast Surfer, Although I do have a Bachelor of Science degree certified from a Taiwan Embassy. Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help!

No one has answered this question yet. What’s the deal?

Is this a new requirement? Will I have to send my degrees back to SA and have them stamped, authenticated and generally uglified?

I have a question for clarification. It is my understanding that us married folk, and others with the “open work permit”, are able to work at anyplace that will have us. Isn’t it the employer’s job to state the needed qualifications and screen the employees? If we did not misrepresent ourselves are we still liable?

2 If were found liable for working in the wrong place or for that matter committed a minor infraction of any of the numerous rules in Taiwan, wouldn’t we be treated as a normal Taiwanese and pay the fine? Or would it still be attached to and affect our visa? I’ve a permanent ARC by the way.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]I have a question for clarification. It is my understanding that us married folk, and others with the “open work permit”, are able to work at anyplace that will have us. Isn’t it the employer’s job to state the needed qualifications and screen the employees? If we did not misrepresent ourselves are we still liable?

2 If were found liable for working in the wrong place or for that matter committed a minor infraction of any of the numerous rules in Taiwan, wouldn’t we be treated as a normal Taiwanese and pay the fine? Or would it still be attached to and affect our visa? I’ve a permanent ARC by the way.[/quote]

My understanding of a foreigner teaching at a kindergarten is that you’re not breaking the immigration law if you’re married to a Taiwanese. You’re breaking some regulation pertaining to education. In other words it’s not a criminal offense, it’s more like a civil infraction like running a red light.

It’d really help if we could have a lawyer to confirm these things but that’s my understanding of it anyway.

No one has answered this question yet. What’s the deal?

Is this a new requirement? Will I have to send my degrees back to SA and have them stamped, authenticated and generally uglified?[/quote]

I had my Degrees certified by a Taiwan Embassy. If that’s what you want to call them! I would be willing to bet not all places of employment ask you for them to be certified. Also you will need to send your transcripts. This way you can use a photocopy of your degree for the Taiwan Stamp/Certification.I am not sure weather the Government would ask for it to be certified if they question your work credentials.

[quote=“spaint”][quote=“Taiwan_Student”]I have a question for clarification. It is my understanding that us married folk, and others with the “open work permit”, are able to work at anyplace that will have us. Isn’t it the employer’s job to state the needed qualifications and screen the employees? If we did not misrepresent ourselves are we still liable?

2 If were found liable for working in the wrong place or for that matter committed a minor infraction of any of the numerous rules in Taiwan, wouldn’t we be treated as a normal Taiwanese and pay the fine? Or would it still be attached to and affect our visa? I’ve a permanent ARC by the way.[/quote]

My understanding of a foreigner teaching at a kindergarten is that you’re not breaking the immigration law if you’re married to a Taiwanese. You’re breaking some regulation pertaining to education. In other words it’s not a criminal offense, it’s more like a civil infraction like running a red light.

It’d really help if we could have a lawyer to confirm these things but that’s my understanding of it anyway.[/quote]

Thanks!