Adware & spam from Chinese language sites?

Have any of you experienced problems with increased adware/spam after visiting Chinese language sites? I have been experiencing increased volumes of adware and spam (from emailmarketingassociates.kom who sent an email which had no topic or from address). I have found a data collector, a password collector and a multitude of adware recently.

It really depends on the type of sites you visit.

As I said before, I visited language websites, as in learning a new language.

You said “Chinese language sites”. Surely it is not difficult to see how “Chinese language sites” could be ambiguous?

Anyway, check for site affiliates and backlinks. Make use of whois. It will give you a rough idea for the “attitude” of the sites in question in regards to their reputation and the well-being of their visitors and/or members in general.

If you are keen to find an answer, get a clean machine and a clean e-mail account (preferably not from one of those free webmail services), then visit the suspicious sites again. This is the only way to find out for sure, really.

In any case, I am inclined to feel that the webmosphere of both sides of the Strait is far from mature even after all these years – in all areas, including the ethical considerations of site monetisation and development. So…

[quote=“dale”]You said “Chinese language sites”. Surely it is not difficult to see how “Chinese language sites” could be ambiguous?

Anyway, check for site affiliates and backlinks. Make use of whois. It will give you a rough idea for the “attitude” of the sites in question in regards to their reputation and the well-being of their visitors and/or members in general.

If you are keen to find an answer, get a clean machine and a clean e-mail account (preferably not from one of those free webmail services), then visit the suspicious sites again. This is the only way to find out for sure, really.

In any case, I am inclined to feel that the webmosphere of both sides of the Strait is far from mature even after all these years – in all areas, including the ethical considerations of site monetisation and development. So…[/quote]

I see what you mean. Thanks for the advice dale!

No problem. Best of luck!

Most of the spam i get, (not much, maybe 10-15 spam emails a day) is Chinese, and occasionally Japanese (which is weird coz i never go to Japanese websites). And often after visiting sites like pchome, wretch or various TW local govt sites that I notice in increase in spam for a few days. My Gmail spam filters do a good job of filtering though, so i don’t worry too much.

I rarely get any spy/adware.