Afganistan: Aftermath

One wonders if the Taliban would have tolerated prostitution, or would they also have condoned it behind closed doors…

This is rather depressing:

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080614/ap_ … CeqjlvaA8F

[quote]
The girl was 11 when she was molested by a man with no legs.

The man paid her $5. And that was how she started selling sex.

Five years ago, her family and a flood of other refugees returned to Afghanistan after the U.S.-led invasion toppled the Taliban regime. But her father could earn only $40 a month doing various odd jobs.

So she sold chewing gum and newspapers and cleaned car windows in the muddy, potholed streets of Kabul. She made about $3 a day.

That was where she met Uncle Lang, a nickname that literally means Uncle Legless.

Uncle Lang was a land mine victim. When the girl and a friend brought him tea and food, he forced himself upon them, police say.

“I didn’t know anything about sex,” she says. “But it happened.”
At first she said her family did not know she was selling sex, and her mother would kill her. But during the counseling sessions, she let it slip that her parents encouraged her to work with Uncle Lang. When she stopped seeing him, they sent her 10-year-old brother instead.[/quote]

My G-D are you seriously suggesting that Afghanistan was better under the Taliban? Why then would 5 million people return now that it isn’t?

You should read Khaled Hosseini’s The Kite Runner. The Taliban did (and are still doing) some sick things…

JB is a liberal. As such, he sticks to reading only things like the labels on his shampoo and hair gel to determine that no widdle wabbits have been injured in product testing. You want him to read a whole book? Well, he was the one who wanted to “learn 2 read” so I guess after you help him out with that we can expect a total retraction on the Pesner email that never existed? Great! Looking forward to that. Literacy is such a great thing. Better than wasting a mind… Too late!

JB is a liberal. As such, he sticks to reading only things like the labels on his shampoo and hair gel to determine that no widdle wabbits have been injured in product testing. You want him to read a whole book? Well, he was the one who wanted to “learn 2 read” so I guess after you help him out with that we can expect a total retraction on the Pesner email that never existed? Great! Looking forward to that. Literacy is such a great thing. Better than wasting a mind… Too late![/quote]

First ac_dropkick and now fred. Come on you bots can do better. Has the recruiting process become so inadequate that pea-brain stand-ins are now being employed?

JB is a liberal. As such, he sticks to reading only things like the labels on his shampoo and hair gel to determine that no widdle wabbits have been injured in product testing. You want him to read a whole book? Well, he was the one who wanted to “learn 2 read” so I guess after you help him out with that we can expect a total retraction on the Pesner email that never existed? Great! Looking forward to that. Literacy is such a great thing. Better than wasting a mind… Too late![/quote]

Actually, please read my post more critically - stop being lazy. I said I was wondering how the Afghans fared under the Taliban for this particular issue - hence the verb “wonder”.

I think a child is different from a “widdle wabbit”, but hey, now we know how much you value life (that is not yours).

Plus, I lean towards libertarian - so yes, a liberal… but not the leftist thought that you have in mind.

Teggs, thanks for the recommendation. By no means was I condoning the Taliban.

It’s a mad world ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jSQxyCRXpaA

I kind of have a feeling it’s not going to get any better.

I think I read that article in the NYTimes. The emphasis in the NYTimes title was that there were “Chinese” prostitutes in Afghanistan. As I read the article as, the Chinese prostitutes weren’t the main story, just a side note.

So in my mind I’m thinking is “Chinese prostitute” that much of a draw in western media that the editor decided to make it the focus of the title.

Or is it playing up to the asian stereotype that Asian women are mostly prostitutes?

[quote=“fred smith”]
JB is a liberal. [/quote]

What fuckery of limp-wristed perjorative is this?
Does that mean that thou art a conservative?

Who really fucking cares?

Labels are a weak substition for synthesis, or even an dynamic anti-thesis!?
or is it merely trench warfare? The Static, Slave to the Grind?!

We really must come up with a whole new set of terms. As it is patently obvious to all but a few idealogues that such terms as 'liberal' and 'conservative' are quite misplaced when applied to the same historical record of such. In fact, one might argue that the practicalists are most assuredly abusing their  own lineage of philosphers whenever they fling about such terms without much more than a haphazard off-handedness.....
In ANY direction!

Thanks to the powers that be: the political spectrum is far more actively oscillating  than that simple left to right lineage.

Personally, I blame the sociology for trying to quantify that which is fluidly unpredictable.
Ideas? Always in a flux of paradox.

Time, The Avenger!.....