African Swine Fever Messages From Government

Why is it such a big deal? Is it dangerous to humans? Or it’s only dangerous to pigs who eats pork?

Maybe because it could get transferred to the pig population through recycled food that gets thrown into the trash trucks.

The Circle of Death.

So quit feeding pigs pork? Like feed them corn?

But that would raise the price of pork massively probably…

1 Like

The solutions to these problems are usually blindingly obvious, but politicians like to stymie them whereever possible. I’m really not sure why. I think a lot of it has to do with economists showing them silly charts of made-up numbers illustrating how keeping pigs in unsanitary conditions is somehow more ‘efficient’.

The reality is that Taiwan could probably free-range its entire pig population and end up with much better meat, a much lower burden of disease, less cruelty, an improved ecosystem, and reduced externalities. Consumer price would be roughly the same because although it’s superficially a lot more work to raise pigs this way, it requires fewer manufactured inputs. Land usage is about the same in terms of total area, but you can use land that would not normally be much use for agriculture.

Dies quickly when cooked.

Not to humans, they just don’t want humans to spread it, through faeces or other means.

Looking through this made me realize I was having a discussion with my students about why it’s bad when animal diseases make a jump to humans almost exactly one year before an animal disease made a jump to humans (maybe). Note that this disease is STILL called African Swine Fever, yet the entire continent of Africa still hasn’t called the WHO out for being racist.

1 Like

2 Likes

Still a thing and still can’t import any Italian meat products. Need to stick to spanish jamon, but I get tired very quickly.

1 Like

Yes the Chinese Lab Humanised Global Pandemic Virus name doesn’t last long…