After i get married can i work...?

Hi everyone,

Im a european female thats gonna marry my adorable fiance at the end of this year. Becos im a British citizen we must get married in Hongkong to avoid the hassels of waiting for the singles doc and criminal record.

As far as ive been told, once we get married in HK we must then go the the Taiwanese consulate with our wedding registration, record the marriage there, then i should apply for a three month tourist visa…then on a plane to Tw.

When i get to tw my bf and i must visit his local police station and ask to apply for…(wedding visa) im not sure the exact name…and wait for the processing to go through.

Now my question is that within the time of waiting for the marriage visa, can i work in a school? There is another point i have not made, can i work on the marriage visa even though i do not hold ANY higher education cert?

No degree/diploma, can i work? :unamused:

If you are married to an ROC citizen and have a Joining Family Residence Visa and an ARC with his name on, you do not need a work visa. If the school/company requires a degree, that’s up to them, but you don’t need one for a work visa.
I think you have to wait until you have your ARC to work legally.

You are going to need to get the police record etc. to register the marriage in Taiwan. Once you have registered it in Taiwan, you can get a marriage-based ARC and work. Expect several months of paperwork. This topic has been discussed extensively here.

I’m not sure how much trouble you’ll save by getting married in Hong Kong. Then again, I’m not British, so maybe I’m not fully informed on the issue. Like Feiren said, try searching the boards.

Is the proof of no criminal record required for marriage in Taiwan, or for getting the spousal ARC, or both?

[quote=“Juba”]Is the proof of no criminal record required for marriage in Taiwan, or for getting the spousal ARC, or both?[/quote]It’s for the JFRV. You can married without it, you can even get married without the single proof, But you can’t get your visa.

Reason why we are getting married in Hongkong is becos after a phone call to my Consulate based in Tw they explained to us that its much easier to get married in HK. If the embassy workers tell us this…then its the thing to do right…!!!

Are the crim record/single cert required to a Tw wedding or for the ARC application??? :s

Which would it be…???

I have the same question…

I have the same question…[/quote]

A Singles Certificate is needed to get married in Taiwan. A CCRD (Clean Criminal Record) certificate is needed for a JFRV (Joining Family Resident Visa). You can get married without the CCRD.

[quote=“fu xiao”]Reason why we are getting married in Hongkong is becos after a phone call to my Consulate based in Tw they explained to us that its much easier to get married in HK. If the embassy workers tell us this…then its the thing to do right…!!!

Are the crim record/single cert required to a Tw wedding or for the ARC application??? :s

Which would it be…???[/quote]

Honestly, don’t trust what anyone in the Taiwanese bureaucracy tells you unless you have had it confirmed by someone like Richard Hartzell or can see it in writing. I speak from the experience of someone who was once expelled for 14 months because a clerk in the MFA office fed me and my wife (yes, they can still kick you out when you are married) a long line of bull.

You can get married in Taiwan but for the purpose of working and getting an ARC/JFRV (Joining Family Resident visa) you need the criminal record and proof of single status in your country or province or state.

The resident ARC (actually called a PARC I believe) gives you the right to work and live here but must be renewed every 3 years.

How it works if you apply in Taiwan I am not certain. But there are threads about it.

Correct.

A PARC is a Permanent Alien Resident Certificate. The marriage ARC is called a JFRV (Joining Family Resident Visa). The JFRV automatically gives the recipient open work rights.

iff.npa.gov.tw/enfront/faq.php?tr_id=9&id=451

Thanks FM. I really should know this stuff inside out by now. Mind too cluttered these days. But forgive me if I’m wrong, but the JFRV is technically the visa they put in your passport. This alone does not give you any rights to work or residency. In fact that is why I was kicked out years ago. I had a JFRV in my passport, having gone through all the steps to prove I was single and had no criminal record, and so on, but was told that I did not need to do anything else. So, I did not go and apply for a resident arc. A year and a half later I discovered I had been living here illegally and had to leave. The JFRV is not enough. Without an accompanying ARC it incomplete.

Absolutely right, MM. The JFRV is the stamp in the passport. Then, you should go to the FAP and apply for the resident ARC, based on marriage, and the multiple entry permit. Once this is all done, you have open work rights and residency. Isn’t red tape great? :smiley:

Your info has become very useful…thanks for helping me guys…!!! :slight_smile:

Another Q:

How can i apply for the Singles Cert and also the CCR as im living aboard and without family to help back in the UK??:roll:

[quote=“fu xiao”]Your info has become very useful…thanks for helping me guys…!!! :slight_smile:

Another Q:

How can I apply for the Singles Cert and also the CCR as im living aboard and without family to help back in the UK??:roll:[/quote]

Please note: This information varies depending on your nationality.

Most foreign embassies or “trade offices” in Taiwan can issue a Singles Certificate. Many countries will also allow you to receive your CCRD through the mail (after a long wait, finger prints, etc.)

The easiest thing for you to do is contact your embassy. I believe you stated you were British, right? Their phone number is 02-2322 4242.

Its the long wait that im not looking forward to, im gonna need to earn some cash…and if i cant work in Taiwan until i get the JFRV/PARC, what am i to do??? :s