After living years in Taiwan, what is your level of Chinese?

After three years its still shit, but then i never got time to stay chinese in a school. Too busy with masters and now job. I self study myself but job takes most of my time

But but ,everytime i try to speak chinese, i realise most taiwanese are interested in speaking english to me than chinese. They will see a foreigner speaking chinese as interesting but they wanna keep switching back to english even if u wanna keep talking to them in chinese

Never let anyone know you speak English. Tell them Klingon is your mother tongue.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve actually considered telling people Iā€™m from some random country whenever they start speaking english to me after I have them repeat what they just mumbled quietly.

Iā€™ve done this when an old biddy wanted to let everybody in the train station know that she speaks English, loudly. ā€œMe no speaka dee Anglais!ā€.

1 Like

I do that when the cults and churches approach me to teach me about their faith.
They try first in Chinese:
-Ting bu dong.
Then in English (Iā€™ve sometimes spoken in English, and they will follow you and talk to you in English):
-No hablo inglƩs.
Fortunately, they donā€™t know Spanish (though maybe I should learn an obscure language in case somebody does)

1 Like

I must warn you: there are a lot of Taiwanese who speak Spanish fluently, either they lived in Argentina or studied it for work/fun.

So no cursing in public in Spanish. Nor deflecting using Spanish is possible.

6 Likes

Oh nooo! I curse to aggressive drivers all the time, but in Chilean slang, so I guess not even other Spanish speakers would understand :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I assume youā€™re speaking from experience. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s surprising how many people are multilingual here. Better just to ham it up with a weird English accent than to pretend you speak Farsi or something.

1 Like

Mine is ā€œbad but robustā€, to borrow a phrase from Le Carre. I can get by in pretty much any context, and I have a random smattering of advanced vocabulary, but mostly I sound like a petulant nine-year-old girl.

5 Likes

Have you considered working in TV?

Despite my crap vocabulary, Iā€™ve been told (by reliable people) that I speak reasonably accent-free Taiwanese Mandarin (ie., not ā€˜standardā€™ Mandarin) ā€¦ but apparently I sound like a kid. Iā€™m not sure what that even means. Itā€™d be interesting to hear oneā€™s own accent the way native speakers hear it.

2 Likes

Worse. Much worse.

1 Like

Maybe you say 雞雞 instead of č‡Ŗå·±. Or 那你 instead of é‚£č£”.

3 Likes

Some foreigners speak very good Chinese, like those who are on one of those awful talk shows. I feel like they could all work in counter Chinese espionage for CIA or something.

1 Like

I used to get phoned up to be on those shows, when I was younger and more handsome. To this day, dont know how the recruiters got my number.

I didnt do it though.

1 Like

Probably someone you know gave it to them.

I actually find it quite sad that so many of them are housewives when they speak such good Chinese. They could become a spy or something.

There are some videos along these lines, if you havenā€™t seen them (though more about how languages sound rather than specific accents). Found them quite interesting.

2 Likes

Hijo deā€¦

@eatdrinktravellife is busily gathering information in a number of threads. I wonder why and for what purpose?

:thinking:

1 Like

Yeah, I sort of assumed I must be lisping something, but I canā€™t figure out what it is and nobody has given me a helpful explanation.