Again: Huge rally against Taiwan leader (non-AC created)

I’m re-making this topic because the last one I made ended up having this exact first post deleted (edit >>) for my own error of only posting the article so it ended up looking like AC made the topic instead. Therefore, this thread got moved to the Temporary Forum section.

Hopefully, that clarifies everything. This thread was meant for discussion on the news and I didn’t expect it to turn out a different way last time.

[quote]

Huge rally against Taiwan leader

By Caroline Gluck
BBC News, Taipei

Thousands of opposition supporters in Taiwan have taken part in a protest in Taipei as President Ma Ying-jeou marked his first 100 days in office.

It was the first mass rally against Mr Ma since his inauguration, and also comes amid increased worries over his pro-China policies and the economy.

The protesters said he was moving too quickly to improve ties with Beijing.

China claims Taiwan as part of its territory, although they have been governed separately since 1949.

Resignation call

This was the first large-scale protest against President Ma since he took office in May.
His critics - mainly pro-independence groups and members of the opposition Democratic Progressive Party - took to the streets in the capital, chanting slogans, and rallied outside the presidential office, calling for him to step down.

They argue that Mr Ma has been too conciliatory towards China and that his policies have damaged the island’s sovereignty.

The president was elected by a landslide in March, promising to work for friendlier ties with China and boost the island’s economy.

Last month, the two sides launched regular direct flights for the first time in nearly six decades.

President Ma’s administration has also relaxed many restrictions on doing business in China, and allowed more Chinese tourists to visit.

The president’s office did not comment on the rally, but officials from the governing Nationalist Party (Kuomintang) said the public should not blame the current administration for the island’s economic woes but the previous one, which held office for eight years.

They said the public should be protesting against Taiwan’s former President, Chen Shui-bian, and his family, who are being investigated over fresh allegations of money laundering involving millions of dollars.

This article posted in the Taipei Times a couple of days ago, “The shouts will only get louder” concludes [quote] Saturday’s demonstration was a warning. If the situation doesn’t improve soon, the next protest could be even more forceful. [/quote] taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2003421946

So a threat and a warning in the form of taking it to the streets, from the very same people that argued Shih Ming Teh and those marching to depose Chen didnt respect democracy.

Wasn’t this a march to commemorate the 100 days of presidency of MYJ?

half a year ago, everyone was happy with the fact that we would be all rich from the stock market, have low unemployment, the inflation would be very low, the growth would be at around 6%, and so on…

What is funny is that MYJ, with the support of the LY, is doing worse for the economy than CSB did without any… fighting against them most of the time, instead of doing any policies…

well, what else did we expect from Ma Ying Joke?

what are some of the possible reasons he could be neglecting to improve the economy at the level and the rate that he promised his electors.

maybe he’s too busy brushing up on his mainland grammar and accent.

maybe he’s too busy rewriting the agenda of the mainland affairs commission.

maybe he’s too busy redefining the position of Chinese Taipei into Taipei, China.

maybe he’s too busy reassigning his excess campaign funds to his family’s accounts.

maybe he’s too busy practicising his politician’s smile in the mirror.

maybe he’s too busy scrounging old fa piao to fudge his expense statements.

or maybe he just doesn’t give a shit.

Sorry all you Ma haters & McCarthyists, but there’s no comparison between Ma and the seething corruption of Ah bian. The smell is even making the DPP wretch, and his (prviously) most loyal supporters are about to flush him down the toilet.

now where did i deny that in my post?

we just don’t want Mayor Ma to go down the same path, that’s for sure, but nor do we feel that he has had the effect on Taiwan that he assured us would automagically come about once he was elected to the poisoned chalice that is the Presidency in Taiwan.

oh, sorry, the provincial governor’s office.

I am pro-Taiwan. I am not pro-ABian, nor am i pro-CCP, therefore not supportive of any kowtowing and topknottugging.

[quote=“urodacus”]well, what else did we expect from Ma Ying Joke?

what are some of the possible reasons he could be neglecting to improve the economy at the level and the rate that he promised his electors.

maybe he’s too busy redefining the position of Chinese Taipei into Taipei, China.

maybe he’s too busy reassigning his excess campaign funds to his family’s accounts.

or maybe he just doesn’t give a shit.[/quote]

:roflmao: :bravo:

And he still hasn’t abolished Tongyong. :fume:

At least we don’t have to worry about name changes…

Funny how the pro-Taiwan crowd were such zealot supporters of A-bain, that any discussion to the contrary was quickly put on the short list for banning.

So how does it feel to support someone who really didn’t give a shit about Taiwan and manipulated you to support him.

kind of bad, ac. i don’t like betrayal, and i think that the Taiwanese people have a right to be pissed off at him.

i was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, and not pay too much attention to the initial unfounded gossip and TVBS sqauwkery, until it became clear how much shit he had pulled. i have now learnt my lesson, and i won’t be giving Ma any slack at all, right from the get go…

MA OUT NOW!

But you were against Ma even before the get go. Excuse me I question your ability to be a good judge of character at this time.

Anyways I’ve heard neither rumors of MYJ betraying Taiwan yet, nor any misappropriation of the ROC executive slush funds either.

And you know SMD waiting like 5 or 6 years before actively protesting against CSB…

can you count the minutes before the win of CSB and the first street protest from the KMT, in 2004?

So the DPP took 100 after he got into the job… not bad… considering the same time scale, the next president will have street protests like… never?

MYJ didn’t need a bullet in his stomach to win the election either. How does one justify a protest against a landslide victory in a democracy with no voting irregularities?

I find your need to compare MYJ to CSB to be quite a mystery in these instances…

You understand in a democracy I’m holding you personally responsible for the election of CSB into office.

:slight_smile:

[quote=“urodacus”]well, what else did we expect from Ma Ying Joke?

or maybe he just doesn’t give a shit.[/quote]
:bravo: You said it.

Go Taiwan!! cheers Ma out!

I’m still crossing fingers for the big 633rd day from inauguration party. That will be a gigantic one…

If Ma cannot reverse the economy quickly, he won’t see it to the next term… His own posters will be used by his opposition…

Had an interesting conversation with a student today, who is an IT exec and fairly up to snuff on local and regional political issues. He made the point that protests like the recent one - however many people actually were there - are political events, not grass-roots surges. I would have to agree. I mean, it’s obviously too early to assess Ma’s presidency. He got off to a rough start, and his enemies have exploited that with a big ass protest downtown. OK, that’s their freedom.

But, whatever you think of Ma and the “New” KMT, ask yourself this: do you want the country to regularly have these mega-protests for the tiniest fucking reason? I mean, if you are outraged about Ma’s rush to diminish Taiwan’s sovereignty, where is your bloody example? What has he done? Nothing! he hasn’t done anything yet, but made a few signals. By all means, have mass protests, but please wait until something definitive has been done to protest about! Otherwise, it’s the boy who cried wolf and when something truly malodorous does turn up - and history suggests that it will - then the sight of however many thousand people marching around the Presidential Office will have absolutely no emotional effect. Which is a shame, because these mass protests are supposed to be a sign of passion.

My point of contention is that if these former zealots of CSB were wrong about CSB character. How do you not know they are wrong about MYJ character?

It brings into question perhaps their entire idealogy which motivates them maybe incorrect and easily manipulated by various political leaders. Liabilities to a stable democracy.

Um, I don’t vote here, because I’m not a citizen.

the people of a country are nonetheless capable of electing whomever they deserve.

and to big john: i agree, these mega-protests for no real reason do rob them of their power. it’s not quite like the orange revolution, after all, and they are mostly political rather than any true reflection of an undercurrent of widespread dissatisfaction. it is too easy to bus thousands of one’s supporters in at the cost of a biendang.

Trying to be non-accountable for your actions…typical.

I wonder if a REAL moderate person would ever win an election.
Seems like not everyone wants to be unified with the communists, and not everyone wants to get involved in a shooting war with them either. Most people just wants peace and stability.