Against cable car construction on mountains over 3000m

And I would disagree. The environment is everyone’s concern, IMO.

AWOL if “there are many of us foreigners who have spent a darn long time on the island, have partners that are Taiwanese etc and call the island home. some of us have a more than passing interest in the long term future of Taiwan” then have you renounced your citizenship and became a Taiwan citizen…so you can participate more in the ‘long term future of Taiwan’ or are you planning on spending your twilight years somewhere else?

“I don’t recall making any “I am a Westerner therefore I know better” judgements, I just want to get involved to save Taiwan’s truly beautiful mountains.”

I said…“seems to me” that people might get this impression. I know I would and knowing the inferiority complex issues quite a few people seem to have around here, I am almost certain most Taiwanese would feel the same way.

Anyway, personally, I won’t participate in Taiwan politics, environmental issues, etc. simply because I believe that is an issue for Taiwanese citizens and not a foreigner worker no matter how long I have been here. If I decide I want to become a Taiwanese citizen then my days will no doubt be full of personal campaigns.

Sandman, yes, the environment is everyone’s responsiblity. The rain forrest is being destroyed at a tremendous rate and that - from my weak understanding - has more impact on the global environment than cable cars in Taiwan. But I am not rushing into Brazil and starting a campaign to save the rain forrest. They are more familiar with their own country and know, or will learn, how to deal with it. But then again, that’s just my take on it.

Of course you aren’t, but neither am I – I’m living here and have been, continuously, since the 1980s, so I will protest most vigorously things I see as potentially adveresly affecting my environment. If I were living in Brazil, I’m sure I’d be equally prepared to protest rainforest destruction there.

Sure, thats how YOU see it, myself, and I think Sandman see it differently. My child holds 2 passports so yeah I think as a parent I have somewhat of a responsibility to do what I feel is best for the future of the place my child will grow up in, where my wife has lived for 99% of her life and where I see myself resting out my twilight years (which wont be for a while :smiley: - I hope)

[quote=“referring to anti-foreigner sentiments caused by foreigners protesting”]I said…“seems to me” that people might get this impression. I know I would and knowing the inferiority complex issues quite a few people seem to have around here, I am almost certain most Taiwanese would feel the same way.
[/quote]
Have you ever taken part in a protest or demonstration here? I think that if you did, you might find yourself pleasantly surprised by the enthusiasm displayed by Taiwanese who see foreigners concerned enough about Taiwan to actually stand up and be counted. At least that’s always been my experience.

Whenever these cable car fantasies come up and start getting serious, anywhere in the world, there is always an element of protest at first. It just goes with the territory, and hopefully the protests help keep the operators in line so carry out their projects safely and with limited impact on the environment.

When the first cable cars went up in [name any city or village anywhere in the world, from Switzerland to Japan to Alaska] there were protests from anti-cable car groups. But later, these same protesters took these same cable cars up the same mountains they didn’t want to have them, and all is forgotten now. Same will happen here.

Twenty years from now, nobody will remember the anti-cable car protests. But I support them because they keep the greedy profit minded capitalists in line! And they’re fun!

But there will be cable cars in Taiwan, soon enough.

Aside from my personal gripes with the damage to the environment (these cars wont be done with the same adherence as in say the Krunda Nth Qld example) I just cant fathom the need for them? Taiwan will never have a massive tourism industry and the people that use the mountains regularly are the type of people that would rather hike or bike to the top and back.

As I said before IF (and it is a massive IF) put in place best practice style waste management facilities, enviro toilets, etc it might be an Ok project. I just help but feel it has more to do with keeping up with the Jones’ in HK than providing quality, well thought out and planned tourist facilities.

But for the unfair requirement we give up our original citizenship, a lot of us here would have taken up Taiwanese citizenship. Would you perhaps also like those Taiwanese with a second passport to withdraw from the political process? :noway:
Remember that many of us come from countries who have already despoiled the natural environment and have learned from that lesson. A great number of the local residents have not had much direct experience of the natural world to appreciate it in the first place, nor has there ever been much (if any) emphasis on environmental issues in the education system. Would you prefer the few remaining unspoiled areas on the island were ruined so that the Taiwanese could learn the lesson for themselves?
I own property, and I pollute, so in a sense I’m as responsible for the physical wellbeing of the island as anyone else. I’m also one of those people who enjoys those remote areas as often as possible, so I have a vested self-interest. A cablecar up Jade Mtn is going to be about as useful as tits on a bull. Some small group of people will gain materially in the short-term, the rest of us will suffer in the long-term. If you don’t care about that, fine.

It’s a bad idea. Most Chinese people (especially the older generation) have no concept/were not taught about littering, the environment, etc.

As a result, many Chinese litter here and in the mainland.

But they won’t. These things are never going to pay for themselves as the high mountains just won’t get enough people.

And I agree. Jade mountain should not have a cable car to the top. A cable car to a lesser peak that takes in the view is fine in my books. But leave the highest mountain in Eastern Asia to climbers.

But they won’t. These things are never going to pay for themselves as the high mountains just won’t get enough people. [/quote]
Pork-barrel. Someone (architect, consultant, contractor…) always makes out like a bandit. Think of those garbage cans at the MRT stations that cost NT$20k each.

Ah, yes. Forgot about those guys.