Aging Parents

Or send her on a boat to xiamen every three months
Sounds kinda fun

Interesting. My mom absolutely hated Taiwan…the crowds, the noise, the pollution, the heat and humidity, the greasy food. But even if your mom did enjoy her visit, I wonder if actually moving there to live would be a different story. Adapting to a completely different culture and environment seems like it would be a big challenge for someone in their 70s. I guess it really depends on the person though.

My grandma doesn’t like the US all that much either. She basically lives in a majority Korean part of town. If she had the money she would probably live in Korea on her own. But my family gives her money and a apartment so she stays near them. She hates American food lol.

Doesn’t she have relatives in Korea she could live with? Or with your family in Taiwan? I’d think she’d feel more comfortable living in an East Asian culture at least. Although I do find the Korean food in the U.S. consistently better than the Korean food in Taiwan.

She does, but most of them don’t have too much money where they can support her like my aunt and mom can in the US. She lives very comfortably with my moms family in the US.

Idk about Taiwan, she has a Korean community in the US and you’re right, the Korean food is much better with many Korean immigrants.

1 Like

is there such ARC?

ARC for studying Chinese doesn’t allow them to apply for APRC after 5 years at this moment, so it may not be a good option, if they intend to move here permanently.

That’s too bad. The US is definitely not for everybody. Does she watch tv? There is an app on AppleTV called KORTV looks like it has access to tons of Korean tv channels. TV Chosun, Channel A, Asian Movies Now, BadukTV, KBS World 24, MBN, Kids, News Y, ETN K-pop, Event TV, YTN, Danbi TV, UGA, K-Heritage, Incheon N TV, ManMulSang, YonTong TV, BTN, MBC Plus Weekly Idol, and probably a dozen more.

I don’t even know if those are all Korean language options, but they’re available.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll see if she know it or I can maybe help her set it up. She does watch a lot of TV, Korean dramas.

She just doesn’t speak much English, she’s old so it’s not so easy to learn when you get older. So she doesn’t enjoy everything that the US has to offer. Not that she actually puts that’s much effort besides the basics, but I don’t really blame her at that age you know. She also just doesn’t enjoy much other food besides Korean and Asian food.

1 Like

Irrelevant but I’m born and raised an American, my mother is Taiwanese and I really hope I’m able to go back a lot more in the near future to take care of my grandparents. Kind of like the reverse of your situation OP heh

I was thinking about that for milliseconds to take my parents here with me but looks like they do prefer the old place near the beach with fresh air and simple food. They are in 80’s + 1 PWD elder brother (with no other special caretaker) they take care themselves so what I do is sending them monthly allowances.

I’m worried mostly every day due to their age and current situation of my elder brother but I got no choice need to seat here and work hard.

2 Likes

That’s your fault for bringing her to Taichung!

Are you certain it wasn’t just because she was with you???

Yes I cannot see any old Western (or anywhere for that matter) parent being able to handle Taiwan.

Why is that?

IMHO, it depends on which Taiwan we are talking about. We would likely live, at least at first, close to the beach in Danshui, so she would have a nice beach to take walks and sit and read her books if she wants. We would cook for her for dinners, and she has even said she is interested in learning Mandarin. I think she views it as a new start and a new phase in life for her. That, and she wants to be close to her grandson (my son).

Reality is, if we move to Taiwan in 2024, she could come and try it for a 3-6 months, and if she likes it, stay. If not, she can always move back to Canada.

1 Like

Oh god no my parents wouldn’t make it down one block here. Paralyzed with fear.
Taiwan is really really REALLY bad, when it comes to roads, traffic general walking conditions they are still stuck in the 3rd world.

On our trip, we went to Malaysia, which was much, much, MUCH worse when it comes to traffic. As well, my mother has travelled to Thailand before, as well as Taiwan about 20 years ago. So, everyone is different, I guess. And she loves the MRT in Taipei.

2 Likes

I feel like it’s not so bad.

at least, many of roads are paved, and fairly flat, though they sometimes suffered cave-ins.

In Taipei it’s not terrible for the most part, but it’s pretty hard to be a pedestrian in the rest of the country. Especially if you’re old and not so agile anymore.