AGP to PCI-Express - worth the move?

I want to change the video card in my computer. I currently have a Gigabyte Radeon 9800 PRO AGP, but I have heard from some that I should upgrade to a PCI-Express based motherboard because some of them enable me to use 2 PCI-Express video cards at the same time. Truthfully, I want to max out the graphical details in games like Battlefield 2, but desire only a frame-rate of 30-40 with no significant drops. Does anyone have any knowledge of this PCI-Express technology, and if so can you advise me whether I should just buy a new AGP video card instead?

Cheers

James

Errm… I guess the question of how much you are willing to spend and upgrade needs to be asked.

There have been tests that have shown that there is no significant improvement in performance when comparing AGP to PCI-E when using exactly the same video card. But the market has forced people to upgrade by not releasing new products in AGP.

Upgrading to a SLI PCI-E set up without upgrading the CPU would be a waste.
as video performance is also related to CPU speed. So if you do want to take the leap to PCI-E, then consider upgrading other components in your system such as motherboard (obviously), CPU and maybe RAM.

If you just want to change video cards, then just go for a nice AGP card, something along the likes of the nVidia 6800 Ultra. It should play Battlefield quite adequately provided your CPU is also decent.

[quote=“frokky”]Errm… I guess the question of how much you are willing to spend and upgrade needs to be asked.

There have been tests that have shown that there is no significant improvement in performance when comparing AGP to PCI-E when using exactly the same video card. But the market has forced people to upgrade by not releasing new products in AGP.

Upgrading to a SLI PCI-E set up without upgrading the CPU would be a waste.
as video performance is also related to CPU speed. So if you do want to take the leap to PCI-E, then consider upgrading other components in your system such as motherboard (obviously), CPU and maybe RAM.

If you just want to change video cards, then just go for a nice AGP card, something along the likes of the nVidia 6800 Ultra. It should play Battlefield quite adequately provided your CPU is also decent.[/quote]

I am currently using an Intel Pentium 4 2.8c overclocked to 3.0 and use 1024MB Kingmax RAM. These are consistently reliable and when my Radeon is overclocked I get steady frame rates even on games like Far Cry. Do you think either of these components is due for an upgrade?

[quote=“Reaperjim”]I want to change the video card in my computer. I currently have a Gigabyte Radeon 9800 PRO AGP, but I have heard from some that I should upgrade to a PCI-Express based motherboard because some of them enable me to use 2 PCI-Express video cards at the same time. Truthfully, I want to max out the graphical details in games like Battlefield 2, but desire only a frame-rate of 30-40 with no significant drops. Does anyone have any knowledge of this PCI-Express technology, and if so can you advise me whether I should just buy a new AGP video card instead?

Cheers

James[/quote]

There are no difference between PCI-E and AGP, only reason you would go with PCI-E is because you’re going to upgrade CPU/Motherboard and PCI-E is the future. The only time there will be an improvement on SLI is at very high resolution with AA/AF maxed out. Personally I dont see that much of a difference and I would rather go with a 7800 GTX than 2 6800 GT’s. Plus SLI board cost more (6000 nt or more) so thats another problem too. I think if you can play farcry you should be able to play battlefield 2… Even with the latest 6800 ultra even with AGP 4x speed it wont affect its performance because those video card doesnt use all that bandwidth. Oh and if you want to see what a SLI 6800GT can do there is the “rainbow” computer place close to zhonshao singseng close to the bridge, they have a SLI 6800GT workstation for you to test drive. Bring your game and install it and see what it does… It can do about 16,000 on 3dmark 2003 though…

[quote=“Reaperjim”]
I am currently using an Intel Pentium 4 2.8c overclocked to 3.0 and use 1024MB Kingmax RAM. These are consistently reliable and when my Radeon is overclocked I get steady frame rates even on games like Far Cry. Do you think either of these components is due for an upgrade?[/quote]

I think you can squeeze a bit more life from those components. Maybe another year even. But if you are really getting annoyed by choppy frame rates, then a good ‘fill in upgrade’ would be to chuck in a nVidia 6800 Ultra AGP for the time being. The 6800Ultra is almost twice the speed of your 9800Pro.

[quote=“frokky”][quote=“Reaperjim”]
I am currently using an Intel Pentium 4 2.8c overclocked to 3.0 and use 1024MB Kingmax RAM. These are consistently reliable and when my Radeon is overclocked I get steady frame rates even on games like Far Cry. Do you think either of these components is due for an upgrade?[/quote]

I think you can squeeze a bit more life from those components. Maybe another year even. But if you are really getting annoyed by choppy frame rates, then a good ‘fill in upgrade’ would be to chuck in a nVidia 6800 Ultra AGP for the time being. The 6800Ultra is almost twice the speed of your 9800Pro.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice everyone. But, I have to mention that prices in Nova and places lik 3C are extortionate compares to western prices. The only viable option for me is EBAY or Yahoo Auctions. The 6800GT in Nova is at least 16000, but US sites like NewEgg.com, which is unfortunately US delivery only, the sell the 6800GT for 285 dollars (just over 9000 NT$). Its a total rip-off here, especially when domestically made products by the likes of ASUS are almost twice the price that they are in the US (and they are exported goods!) I want to ask where I can get something cheaper here, and if I can trust Yahoo Auctions? What’s your advice? Is there anywhere that DOES delivery internationally?

I dont know whats with the prices for 6800GT and ultra… every list I see it goes for like 16,000 nt or so, but on yahoo auction in Taiwan 6800GT goes for 10,000 average, and ultra is a little more. The price for 6600 series are more realistic and almost exactly newegg’s price. I dont know if it has to do with the fact that very few here use 6800 series so therefore places like 3cs sell them real expensive or they didnt get around to the price drop (possibly caused by the 7800GTX) . I think 6600 is good enough for most games though…

[quote=“Reaperjim”]

Thanks for the advice everyone. But, I have to mention that prices in Nova and places lik 3C are extortionate compares to western prices. The only viable option for me is EBAY or Yahoo Auctions. The 6800GT in Nova is at least 16000, but US sites like NewEgg.com, which is unfortunately US delivery only, the sell the 6800GT for 285 dollars (just over 9000 NT$). Its a total rip-off here, especially when domestically made products by the likes of ASUS are almost twice the price that they are in the US (and they are exported goods!) I want to ask where I can get something cheaper here, and if I can trust Yahoo Auctions? What’s your advice? Is there anywhere that DOES delivery internationally?[/quote]

Dunno about international deliveries… but I’ve heard of www.shopthestates.com

Never used them myself but have read Australian forums that have praised them.

[quote=“frokky”][quote=“Reaperjim”]

Thanks for the advice everyone. But, I have to mention that prices in Nova and places lik 3C are extortionate compares to western prices. The only viable option for me is EBAY or Yahoo Auctions. The 6800GT in Nova is at least 16000, but US sites like NewEgg.com, which is unfortunately US delivery only, the sell the 6800GT for 285 dollars (just over 9000 NT$). Its a total rip-off here, especially when domestically made products by the likes of ASUS are almost twice the price that they are in the US (and they are exported goods!) I want to ask where I can get something cheaper here, and if I can trust Yahoo Auctions? What’s your advice? Is there anywhere that DOES delivery internationally?[/quote]

Dunno about international deliveries… but I’ve heard of www.shopthestates.com

Never used them myself but have read Australian forums that have praised them.[/quote]

This is the answer to all my prayers. Frokky, may you win the lottery and conyinue life with your infinite wisdom :sunglasses: Thanks! :laughing:

NVidia just announced a new SLI chipset with 2 16x PCIe slots. Sounds like an interesting chipset and might drop the price for SLI boards.

nvidia.com/page/pg_20041015917263.html

I was wondering too. I always wanted to order a saga guitar kit but the seller on ebay wont ship internationally. But now with this service… I just wonder if the store will ship internationally will it be cheaper to have that store ship it to you and only use shop the states for stores that wont do international deliveries.

Just got this in an email because Paypal was refusing to allow my Taiwan address as a shipping address (I have a UK credit card):

Thank you for your email. You do not need to add your Taiwan address to your existing UK PayPal account to make payment to STS. All you need do is let us know that you would prefer to ship to your Taiwan address rather than the billing address on your PayPal account.

We have many members who split their time between two countries (ie for work) and we ship to either country as they require it.

For this reason not having your Taiwan address on your PayPal account will cause no problem with us. Please leave your PayPal details as they are, PayPal can be a little rigid with changes such as these. When it comes to the time you have received merchandise orders at our office we will quote shipping to Taiwan at your request and will process either a PayPal or credit card payment from you for shipping regardless of whether your shipping and billing addresses match.

That seems like a brilliant arrangement, although I do wonder whether they are using legal loopholes of some nature. Still, musn’t complain…