Agreement not to report rental to government

People here take great pleasure in shafting the government on taxes.

3 Likes

Itā€™s just standard practice amongst landlords he wonā€™t rent to you if your say you will file for it.
I think they are afraid of it going on record in the future or getting audited.
But basically what Dr Milker said.
Itā€™s tax evasion on an enormous scale that benefits rich people, what can you do.!

It will reveal the fact that heā€™s renting the apartment and receiving this income at all.

Always agree to the rent deduction in lieu of the tax reduction as firstly for the majority of people itā€™s not worth claiming the rent in taxes and secondly having evidence that the landlord was actively engaged in tax fraud is a great hammer to hold when leaving an apartment and trying to get your deposit back. Besides you can always back date your taxes for up to 3 years if circumstances change.

I reported mine years back because I didnā€™t know better. Everybody told me that the landlord would be pissed and, etc, etc, etc so I told them. They shrugged and said they would simply need to be sure to report it. It came up the next contract and they offered current rent if I continued to report it or a reduction if I didnā€™t. We figured that it worked out about the same, either way, for both of us.

I had at least 3 landlords offer this to us.

A post was merged into an existing topic: The invasion of Ukraine has amplified the risk of a Chinese invasion

My wife and I want to move house in Taipei. As is known, to keep legal I need to give the govt my new address within 15 days, by showing (1) the rental agreement or (2) original and copy of property tax bill + attestation from the owner of the date we moved in. Just to add to the degree of difficulty, we already have been approval to receive č£œåŠ© if we can show a contract within about 6 weeks. My wife has called about 10 places for rent and all landlords are in this tax scam thing. Does anyone know how to find an honest landlord?

I have never shown any property tax things. Just bring your contract to the NIA.

Thanks Marco. Thanks for the comm. To be more clear I meant either (1), if you have a rental agreement (at present we have no rental agreement as we rent from a friend). This friend also did not want us to show either a rental agreement or (2) property tax bill. So, you just took a contract to the NIA, despite the landlord saying not to. You are brave. And even take a contract to receive the č£œåŠ©ć€‚ Would you recommend that?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Nobody ever told me no.

The immigration centre doesnā€™t talk to the tax authority.

Just bring your contract to the NIA

Thank you. Yes, similar to Australia with no comm between govt depts. Amazing nobody ever said donā€™t show the contract to the govt. You are blessed. Was this in Taipei and in the last few years?

Yeah. None of my flats ever had anyone give me a hard time. Secondly. Itā€™s illegal not to report your house address to the NIA. So regardless what they say, get your contract and go to the NIA. Keep quiet and the landlord wonā€™t know and you will be fine.

Trust me. Iā€™m not blessed. I kept my mouth shut and did what I needed to do.

2 Likes

Yeah, I doubt theyā€™re even aware or care that foreigners have to bring a rental contract to get an arc. Iā€™ve never heard of any consequences from it. What they donā€™t like is reporting the rental for any tax purposes, unless itā€™s accounted for in your rental price.

Thank you. Letā€™ see how this all goes. Actually we suddenly made an appointment for tomorrow and the landlord said no problem to what we wantā€¦ the catch is it is a bit more expensive.

No no no. You donā€™t need to pay more cause heā€™s not paying tax. Register with the NIA does not alert tax authorities.

Yes. Looks like we run into the wrong people. And my wife didnā€™t say she was married to foreigner even.

Actually the landlord said the rent does include tax, so not problems. Finally ran into an honest landlord. Weā€™ll see it tomorrow - the video on 591 APP looks good. Thanks

3 Likes

Good good. åŠ ę²¹!