AIDS Rights in Taiwan!

Slightly off topic… but still on the topic of aids…

I went to a doctor (one I usua
lly go to as he is quite friendly) complaining of some illness or something.

Due to my symptoms he said he wanted me to get some blood tests done. He gave me a slip of paper and told me to go to another clinic that did such tests.

After the blood test, the technician at the lab told me that my white blood cell counts were very low, and that (here it is…) I most probably had AIDS…

He then went on to explain how it was necessary that I get an EXTRA AIDS test done, which of course I would need to pay more money for…

Now sitting there in the absolute shock of the moment I withdrew money from my wallet in a daze, handed it over, and had this guy conduct his test… much to my relief the result was, guess what??? negative…

On my return to my doctor, he didn’t seem all that surpirsed and stated how he had heard of a few places doing this to make an extra buck…

At the end of it all, I was quite angry (rightly so) went to a local tea shop and filled my head with visions of going back to this so-called lab and crushing the guys skull… After a couple of sips of my Nai-Cha, common sense sank in and I just put the whole thing down to another learning experience in Taiwan…

Has anybody else heard of anything like this?

Cheers!

Daryl

omg, thats one of the cruelest and most disgusting things i’ve ever heard
:noway: U oughta contact da police/medical association ASAP, its extremely unethical. :s

[quote=“daryl_ks”]Slightly off topic… but still on the topic of aids…

I went to a doctor (one I usua
lly go to as he is quite friendly) complaining of some illness or something.

Due to my symptoms he said he wanted me to get some blood tests done. He gave me a slip of paper and told me to go to another clinic that did such tests.

After the blood test, the technician at the lab told me that my white blood cell counts were very low, and that (here it is…) I most probably had AIDS…

He then went on to explain how it was necessary that I get an EXTRA AIDS test done, which of course I would need to pay more money for…

Now sitting there in the absolute shock of the moment I withdrew money from my wallet in a daze, handed it over, and had this guy conduct his test… much to my relief the result was, guess what??? negative…

On my return to my doctor, he didn’t seem all that surpirsed and stated how he had heard of a few places doing this to make an extra buck…

At the end of it all, I was quite angry (rightly so) went to a local tea shop and filled my head with visions of going back to this so-called lab and crushing the guys skull… After a couple of sips of my Nai-Cha, common sense sank in and I just put the whole thing down to another learning experience in Taiwan…

Has anybody else heard of anything like this?

Cheers!

Daryl[/quote]

Name the clinic.

It was about 3 years ago… will check with my wife and see if she can remember the name of the clinic

Cheers!

[quote=“daryl_ks”]It was about 3 years ago… will check with my wife and see if she can remember the name of the clinic

Cheers![/quote]

That was then, this is now. Let it go.

Hang on Quirky, you said in another post that you work for the Taiwan News, right? So doesn’t the journalist in you scream out “Clinic issues bogus/clumsy AIDS diagnoses and possibly for financial benefit? Now that’s a story!”

So what’s with the “live and let live” comment?

daryl_ks may well have had the experience he describes, but when I asked him to name the place, he didn’t. Not even a rough location. I would have thought that an experience like that would have burned the name and place and a lot of other details in the memory. And I reckon a lot of posters would have been interested to know. Because shonky AIDS diagnoses are no laughing matter.

It’s like that guy in Taitung who made accusations against the cop down there for intruding on a football competition. Pressed for the most mundane of details or supporting evidence, he stopped posting altogether.

When people make allegations and can’t back them up, a little warning bell sounds.

Anyway, the thread was dead until you decided to say “Let it go.” I thought we already had!

If such an incident did occur, there are a number of Taiwanese AIDS rights groups that need to be informed. While many foreigners may be able to deal with the ramifications of a false positive test and know enough to go and get re-tested, unfortunately many young Taiwanese when faced with such information would most likely freak out and possibly commit suicide (not kidding at all). This is a serious issue and a serious accusation, and if it really did happen, the original poster needs to supply the name of the clinic and any more specific details so that I can pass that on to the proper organization(s) that can deal with it from there.