Air Conditioning in Every Taiwan School by mid-2022

Do they mean every room, or just a few rooms, and will it include common areas and what if the local management doesn’t want to pay the bill and then they don’t turn it on…

And what if the kids don’t have air conditioning at home and then they get mad at their parents who won’t turn it on anyway and run away…

And who manages the air conditioner controller?

Taipei schools have them already , about bloody time. Temps are ridiculous going into the Summer.

2 Likes

I expect it to be like Government institutions AC, set at 26 degrees…even if 38 degrees outside.

How will it work in smaller towns especially south where a lot of the common areas are open air especially between the rooms.

Will be going in and out of air conditioning to heat all day long.

Most Taiwan person will tell you that’s not healthy.

1 Like

I remember most government schools in the south having air conditioning but the kids needing to pay for a card to use it. Seemed ridiculous to me.
The private schools all had AC since the parents were paying a lot for the school in the first place.

I see schools getting renovated in New Taipei City so if they are going to install AC why not use central air like office buildings?

I mean all the individual units are not only ugly but is going to be a lot less efficient compared to one large central unit.

And… the other side of the story

1 Like

Idk how I managed without AC when I was in elementary school in Taiwan. I don’t recall it being that hot.

I wonder whether it’s possible that kids tolerate higher temperatures better? I guess they have a higher surface area to volume ratio (as it decreases with increasing height/weight), but no idea whether that’s significant.

Depends on the building a lot. The older buildings, with windows on all sides, opening on the outside or courtyards, plus ceiling fans, are bearable without air conditioning. Newer block buildings, unfortunately, often require air conditioning.

2 Likes

I think kids were more used to being outside in the heat at my age. People better adjust to their climate usually, but these days kids are always inside with AC.

Yes the design is important , in Taipei area they don’t get much wind either due to the densely packed buildings and being in a basin.

1 Like

That was in the last century.

1 Like

Children adapt to it well in Southern California :slight_smile: Most schools here are open air, and late summer/early fall weather is often in the 90s F.

I’m pretty sure the heat and humidity there is nothing like in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Actually Andrew probably had a smart phone lol.

Buildings there might have some more design in terms of taking advantage of the breeze and resulting airflow.

What’s a “phone lol”?

Guy

Start here, if you have further questions get back to me.

Yoghurt_pots

1 Like

Same here. I grew up in central Florida and we had louvered crank out windows that basically turned the classroom into a covered patio. Today, I’d die without AC.

1 Like