Air mail post from Oz. How long?

I’m expecting a package that was posted yesterday from Adelaide via Aus. air mail. Anyone know how long it’ll take to get here?

Depends - yeah, I know, helpful. In my experience, from three days to three weeks. Usually 7-10 days.

How big, what was its ‘value’ and what carrier did you use? I assume its that little uke?

If so and it doesnt attract TW Customs’ attention then it should be there in 3-4 business days.

[quote=“AWOL”]How big, what was its ‘value’ and what carrier did you use? I assume its that little uke?

If so and it doesnt attract TW Customs’ attention then it should be there in 3-4 business days.[/quote]
You assume rightly. Don’t know how big the package is – um, roughly uke-sized I’d assume. :wink:
Value is around A$600 and I don’t know which carrier he’s using – he just said it was Aus. air mail. I guess it’s regular post. He told me doesn’t usually use this method as he normally does guitars, which are too big for this method.
(AWOL, he also told me he’s working on his latest prototype – a metal-bodied resonator… upright bass! :astonished: )

Nice one - shuld only be 3 days I’d say. I had guitars, bikes etc shipped from Oz and the US to TW Air Mail and it only took that long. The biggest pain the azz is TW Customs… they will get you for everything. Should have asked the fellla to put on the tracking doc that i was ‘second hand’ or ‘repair item’.

I want a reso phonic electric dobro … an pright bass in pure madness… cool madness.

Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20. I’m a twit for not trying that. What’s the customs damage, anyway? 10%-15% or something, isn’t it?
And how is it collected? Will the postman bring it to the house and expect money, will I have to go to some customs office out in the boonies somewhere?
I’m a bit hazy on that. Never had anything shipped new before.

Tariff depends on the goods…

A little visit over to BOFT shows your ‘possible’ tariff as between 6 and 10% - not sure what stage the tariff reductions are at given WTO accession in the past few years.

If it comes in thru DHL or the like I think they - as freight companies - are obliged to take it thru Custms. Usually, and I stress usually - if you send via USPS, Oz Post etc, it will get through scott free.

USPS is a god send from the States if you ever want to bring in that 1967 blonde Tele I have my eye on! :slight_smile:

Normal mail and DHL should come straight to you. If you need to pay Customs they will call you.

Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20. I’m a twit for not trying that. What’s the customs damage, anyway? 10%-15% or something, isn’t it?
And how is it collected? Will the postman bring it to the house and expect money, will I have to go to some customs office out in the boonies somewhere?
I’m a bit hazy on that. Never had anything shipped new before.[/quote]When I had to pay customs on something, the postman left a note (maybe I was out) and I had to go to the post office to pay and pick it up.

Thanks all. I just had horror visions of having to go out to some container depot in Wugu or something.
As it is, it sounds fairly civilized.