Air pollution levels in Taiwan - grim reading

What does air pollution look like? This. Pingtung.

This is London

1 Like

I just came back from there was quite pleasant, hope it continues.

1 Like

Thats Pingdong almost every day for what ten years, twenty years ? The last six times I’ve been there its been like that or worse.
Great pity.

Yes, I was just passing through.

“Yes, I know its better than mainland China, but the air here is still very unhealthy as recognized by medical professionals. I can’t see when things will get better as they are still approving refineries and new chemical plants and have added coal power plants on the West coast. Of course the pollution from China exacerbates the local problem.”

Did air pollution get any better from compared to 2013?
Which cities in Taiwan has the least air pollution?

This excellent data apparently comes from the following link, in case anyone is interested:

2 Likes

Quiet interesting today, Kaoshuing air seems better than Taipei/Taichung. (Just south of Taichung seems very bad as of 5pm). So far in Kaoshuing it has been a good winter air wise, it’s been bit cooler than normal though.

It’s improved significantly but Taipei and Taichung’s air is still better.

Maybe coming over from mainland China. Taipei is very rarely so bad, even though it is only modestly bad

1 Like

Yes, numbers now (at 8pm) look better there 70-150 (Airport seems worse though at 160 but that maybe the power plant fumes). Seems numbers go up as it gets colder.

Air has been bad in the south since Friday or so, but it is projected to improve tomorrow.

And getting worse after the nuclear plant closures scheduled.

Yea, ignorance!

The new TSMC plant in in the south uses the equivalent power needs of 1 million people…Or homes…I can’t remember which it was right now.
You don’t hear a lot about that.

This is the reason why I am trying my best to get back to Canada. Because in Canada, the air quality there is so good that I can be healthier. I just fought a battle against Hodgkins Lymphoma recently after I was diagnosed with it in South Korea back in 2016, and continued my fight against it in Canada a year later. After that I spent 2 years living and working in one of Canada’s rural communities where the air is very clean, and after I lost my job there, I came back to Taiwan where I have to risk my health with more dirtier air. It may not be as bad as China, but it is still worse than Canada. Taiwan needs to be more progressive than this.

1 Like

The answer is simple.
Build 20 Gen IV nuclear plants for electricity and use SMRs as needed for industrial needs. Phase out petrol for autos like they are doing for scooters already. Start a big efficiency push based on California’s model.

Then we only need to worry about the air pollution coming from China.

Ironically, China has long been ahead of Taiwan in curbing environment traffic pollution. I remember being in Hangzhou 2008 (2-stroke scooters already banned) and a Sichuan National Park 2010 (fleet of electric buses for tourists).

There’s so little sensible forward thinking here with regard to transport alternatives. Hualien could, should, have an amazing network of cycle paths right now - ringing the city and penetrating arterially. Instead, nada (or bike lanes of low quality that lead nowhere useful, or end abruptly), and we have to make do with debacles like the o-bike.

4 Likes

You guys need younger fresher thinkers running the county. For one positive example, have a look at what’s going on in Hsinchu City.

Right now—and for as long as I’ve been living in Taiwan—you guys have been more like a feudal estate run by a lord and his immediately family. I doubt this lord rides a bicycle! :rofl:

Guy

I went to taidong a few years ago for a visit and there were tons of infrastructure for bike lanes put in that must have cost a fortune all rotting away and overgrown. They put in pathways and car parking lots to the parks, but nobody ever used it. Now it’s unusable. It was somewhat sad seeing that

1 Like

Lmao who’s gonna use them?