Air pollution levels in Taiwan - grim reading

Sometime between forever and never.

With Taiwan, who knows? Things never change, until they do.

I will continue to dare to dream! :grin:

Guy

Its bound to happen, when regulating air pollution becomes a thing. I also noticed the vehicle refinishing places spray painting cars on sidewalks, thats going to end soon too I recon. There has got to be licences for that kind of stuff at some point. I saw a river in Pingtung last week that was literally full of pig shit. Up around pingtung it was full of turtles, then slowly, slowly, moving through the farmland it transformed into pig shit. No jokes.

You just haven’t yet burnt enough offerings for your wish to come true.

3 Likes

You sir have presented me with a paradox wrapped in a riddle figuratively burning in my mind like an enigma. :bowing_man:

Guy

1 Like

It’s just a coincidence that one of the largest coal burning power plants in the world is located right in the middle of that red spot west side of Taiwan.

SO2 the burning of fossil fuels (coal and oil) and the smelting of mineral ores (aluminum, copper, zinc, lead, and iron) that contain sulfur

7 Likes

Yes, but if you consider Taipower as having ‘blown in from China’ then the cross boundary pollution hot air theory is still good.

2 Likes

Lots of people burn incense for good luck on Lunar New Year, but all that smoke is bad for people’s health and the environment.

3 Likes

More evidence that the air quality in Taiwan is partially sourced from China… Chinese culture

2 Likes

Unfortunately, not possible :man_shrugging:

A campaign to get Taiwanese to burn “ghost credit cards” for their forefathers, instead of bundles of mock cash, ran up against the internal logic of ancestor worship. Like the living, the deceased need money if they’re to enjoy a comfortable existence. Some of the former justified their reluctance to change this way: People who died decades ago, and perhaps didn’t attend school, aren’t likely to understand or trust cashless payment systems.

2 Likes

They seem to understand inflation

2 Likes

For referrence Vancouver and Seattle. I don’t even call those “good” for pollution. I shutter to think how @gain will feel about these comparisons :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: at least when north America is on fire in summer, Taiwan can justify these comparisons.

Taiwan

Seattle/vancouver

What they should do is burn money but either do it in a controlled environment or use some kind of paper that is smokeless.

You guys wouldn’t believe the amount of smoke emitted at the local temple rite I go to every year and some people just stand in the middle of it. :roll_eyes:

The older people here are just unbelievably stubborn and younger people very passive. Bad mix when it comes to improving the environment by changing religious habits even slightly.

3 Likes

Bit of a grave dig, but I guess in a thread about burning paper covered in leaded inks to finance a speedy passage to the next life its still relevant.

Toxic ghost money from China… From China, really… lol

5 Likes

Ah, yes, I have seen those, they are handed out for free outside Taiwanese army bases and DPP campaign offices… wonder who sponsors and give them out for free though :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

4 Likes

You can clearly see from that map that the pollution surrounds China, until it gets to Taiwan where it becomes concentrated on Taiwan. Clearly they purposely are aiming at Taiwan, with pollution guns or something.

8 Likes

3 Likes

There is money in apps. Not joking.

Looking out the window, weather looks fine.

But I just saw an “unhealthy air” warning at the bottom of my screen… :grimacing:

3 Likes

All the firecrackers and burning stuff nonstop hasn’t helped.

3 Likes