Air pollution levels in Taiwan - grim reading

Eh what am I looking at?

Click on EARTH button bottom left. There you can choose different readings (Mode | Air ā€“ Ocean ā€“ Chem ā€“ Particulates).

For example this one is for PM2.5

1 Like
  • Taiwan, which usually suffers from bad air quality caused by foreign sources from October to April of the following year.

• the AQI in Mailiao and Lunbei of Yunlin County also flashed a ā€œvery unhealthyā€ purpleā€¦ did not give an explanation for Mailiao and Lunbeiā€™s health-threatening AQI, but locals usually attribute it to coal-fired power plants and petrochemical manufacturing plants in the area.

PURPLE is 300. Healthy is below 50.

The air tonight in Taipei and New Taipei is absolute shite! Whatā€™s going on?

thereā€™s a wind tunnel coming from Shanghai. While most of it gets channeled in the strait, it still has a bad effect on Northern Taiwan

Screenshot_20171107-181128

Is the air quality lousy today? I have a headache and my body feels like cr@p.

Todayā€™s location: in Taipei City, in Gongguan.

Guy

Screenshot_20171109-134306

1 Like

Better than most of China

Screenshot_20171109-134459

Things could be a lot worse. AQI in Deli is over 999!!!

I guess Iā€™m gonna have to hold off on buying that hot pastrami sandwich then!

3 Likes

South of Taichung is pretty bad right now.

pollution

I was in Zuoying last Friday. The reading was 152 for that area at that time but that didnā€™t seem to discourage some lady to burn some paper on Minzu 1st Roadā€¦

Fire

Zuoying Reading

But hey, we have surgical masks readily available everywhere!

The disconnects between parts of peopleā€™s lives here are at times truly staggering.

Guy

Iā€™m seeing a really scary forecast for Sunday. Stay indoors!

On a related note, Iā€™ve got a winter allergy for the first time in my life. Comes and goes just like during the spring. Iā€™m sure itā€™s the pollution. Gets worse on the bad air days.

Oh crap - in the 200s?! Iā€™m seeing that too. Letā€™s hope thatā€™s not an accurate forecast.

How are you seeing air pollution forecast? Phone app or website?

I only see real time with the tools Iā€™m using.

Scroll down. I can see it with my phone or on my computer. Never seen that color for Taipei before!

1 Like

Doh.

???
Why canā€™t I get info for Taipei? What am I doing wrong?