Air pollution levels in Taiwan - grim reading

I’ll leave this here.

Leave what?

1 Like

FYI

2 Likes

Taipei humidity and pollution bad today.

So bad I’m thinking of becoming Grumpy :wink:

I’m not going to defend today’s pollution as good, but to be honest for Taipei at this time of year it’s not bad.

(Anyone know how to get snapshot maps like that for different points in time?

2 Likes

Not every fog is pollution. The current PM2.5 values look pretty good if you have reasonable expectations. Put a PM2.5 app on your phone and you can check what is what when outside

1 Like

Not bad at all, really.

An AQI of 13 in Taipei today. Haven’t seen such good air quality in a long time.

https://airtw.epa.gov.tw

COVID is kryptonite to smog.

1 Like

Sure!

Because we use less energy by not going to the office but staying at home and we don’t have coal plants anymore. Oh wait, now we run more AC’s and lights and other appliances separately and maybe that’s not optimum? and maybe we still have coal power plants?

And maybe the low numbers are partly because of the heavy rains everywhere?

PS: there’s still less traffic in Taipei, but it’s still there.

Why are people so willfully blind? There hasn’t been any air pollution since like end of March. It’s the wind direction.

Because the lived experience is different. Also different types of pollutants. Not everything is 2.5ppm.

The garbage incinerators are heavy polluters. And they are everywhere.

Also, can you explain how wind stops the generation of pollution? It will stop the pollution spreading giver an area but I cannot understand how it stops the pollution from being created.

It rained. The rain always knows the pollution out of the air, temporarily.

Anybody who lived in Taichung knows this well. It will build and build for weeks and then bam…Some rain…And you get one awesome blue sky day at most where the central mountains appear like a mirage as a backdrop to the city

2 Likes

You don’t need to live in Taichung for knowing that rain cleans the air…

1 Like

I think a lot of people don’t know that. See above !

I saw one person, not many, but didn’t pay too much attention tbh. Either way, I’m looking forward to more rain the right days!

I am not a scientist, but I’m guessing that pollution spikes may also impair younger women’s thinking, and older women’s, and younger men’s and basically everyone.

2 Likes

What was the pollution like when they decided to allow pilots to quarantine for 3 days? :thinking:

1 Like

Like the usual pollution from that place was not enough…

1 Like