Air pollution levels in Taiwan - grim reading

Woo hoo, brilliantly clean in Danshui according to the readings right now! And based on the records, in our little bubble we briefly solved the pollution problem yesterday, lost control of it for a couple of hours, and have now entirely resolved the issue!

I’m sure this isn’t some kind of technical glitch, and that the haze out my window has nothing to do with air quality whatsoever.

4 Likes

Do you suppose they average the readings from a bunch of meters? So if a few meters are out of service the average goes down to some meaningless final reading.

Well I suspect Taichung and Kaohsiung played that game as their cities also incorporate mostly farmland and mountains now so they could ratchet the average down if they wanted.

1 Like

Ah. I was walking around in Danshui today, and I wondered about the bad smell - between Carrefour and the movie theater complex. I didn’t see the smoke plume, however.

2 Likes

It’s been pretty bad down south the past few days. I took a ride in the countryside today and saw several fires that looked like deliberately burning deadfall. You know "China”

1 Like

Locals burning stuff used to drive distinguished forumosan emeritus @Mucha_Man crazy. Who knows if or when there will finally be the political will to stop it.

Guy

2 Likes

Surprised nobody said anything yet

3 Likes

Oh. That map isn’t nice.

I knew it wasn’t great in Danshui, but it’s not terrible (for Taiwan) either. Darn, air quality forecast is awful for tomorrow afternoon, and that’s when I’m hoping to head out for a bike ride.

Been bad down here for a few days, this morning I could literally see it at street level

1 Like

It’s from China.

1 Like

I was thinking is looking so hazy.

I finally had the courage to air out laundry today. The past few days were bad, I even had sore throat at some point. Took an antigen test which came out as negative, so next thing I did was to close my windows and refrain from going out as much as I can. Even my eyes stung a bit. Been living here in Wanhua for almost 5 yrs. and this is the first time I’ve experienced such horrible air pollution in Taipei.

1 Like

Oh damnit that might explain why my 5 hour bike ride today felt horrible. Couldn’t even get my heart rate going. Well heat and humidity on top…

On windy is looks fine. Why is always china ?

Past few days there have been massive burn offs out here in the farmlands, but yeah it’s China.

1 Like

It is China.

…and Taiwan

United at last

3 Likes

It will blow off later today according to weather simulations.

Pretty sure I saw some ships from China unloading some pollution canisters at the docks today.

3 Likes

Apparently there is a sandstorm going on in china.

3 Likes