Air pollution levels in Taiwan - grim reading

chatgpting I see :grinning:

1 Like

Why does Taiwan have such bad air ?

Taiwan’s air pollution is caused by a combination of factors, including industrialization, transportation, and geography.

One major contributor is the high concentration of industries, such as electronics and petrochemicals, which emit large amounts of pollutants into the air. Additionally, Taiwan is heavily reliant on coal-fired power plants, which also emit significant amounts of air pollutants.

The geography of Taiwan also plays a role in air pollution. The island is surrounded by mountains, which can trap pollutants and prevent them from dispersing. This can lead to the buildup of pollutants in certain areas, especially in cities and densely populated areas.

Finally, weather patterns also contribute to Taiwan’s air pollution. During the winter months, for example, stagnant air conditions can trap pollutants in the atmosphere, leading to high levels of particulate matter and other pollutants.

Overall, improving air quality in Taiwan will require a multifaceted approach that addresses industrial emissions, transportation, and energy production, as well as considering the impact of geography and weather patterns.

ChatGPT Mar 23 Version. Free Research Preview. ChatGPT may produce inaccurate

One notices a major cause not there…

constantly burning things, such as: paper money, deadfall, trash in industrial incinerators, etc. …

3 Likes

Stupid AI. The island is surrounded by water
:joy:

5 Likes

And Chinese airplanes and warships!

1 Like

I haven’t checked the original article from Nature to make sure they’ve got it right, but a troubling article from Taiwan News.

A couple of high (low?) lights:

Taiwan leads industrial countries in the northern hemisphere in terms of lung cancer mortality rates

It identifies the root of pollution being domestic industry and energy production, as 70% of Taiwan’s air pollution is associated with domestic sources.

Transportation accounts for about one-third of Taiwan’s PM2.5 output, and this proportion is unlikely to decrease in the future as affluence will lead to more car ownership. Electricity and power generation account for nearly 10% of PM2.5, almost all of which is associated with coal power.

3 Likes

Yep. And apparently this is the thing that everyone is going googoo about.

A new report published by the scientific journal, Nature, indicates Taiwan leads industrial countries in the northern hemisphere in terms of lung cancer mortality rates.

Taiwan #1

6 Likes

And you don’t want to know about the rate of other cancers here too. :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

Better mask up again with n95 :mask:

1 Like

Troubling to find N95 in Taiwan. Any suggestions where to look? Online shops?

Meanwhile millions of people going around outdoors with masks that are useless for keeping out air pollution while the real danger is staring them in the face.

irony much

Get air purifiers and limit outdoor exercise on bad days would be the easiest approach to limit your exposure.

1 Like

Fake news in the house.

It’s not #1.

Pretty hard to just brush aside a Nature publication any retain and semblance of credibility. Sucks that the narrative sucks, but it isn’t all China.

Pharmacies usually have at least 1 kind. The ones with the NHI logo outside (that is, not your commercial drug store like Watsons)

1 Like

Hopefully a FB page titled “Taiwan is a Living Hell for Air Breathers” will pop up soon. It’s appears the “pedestrian hell” page has had bit of an effect; I’ve noticed cops are more proactive and they are actually putting sidewalks on some of the roads down here.

Embarrassing the fuck out of them seems to be the only way.

1 Like

3 Likes

It’s not that hard. The statistics are from before 2017, for one.

https://i.imgur.com/pLnNQ3J.png

1 Like

The problem is that if you actually read the Nature report the article linked, it does not contain (or “indicate”) any of the following claims:

A new report published by the scientific journal, Nature, indicates Taiwan leads industrial countries in the northern hemisphere in terms of lung cancer mortality rates, per UDN.

It identifies the root of pollution being domestic industry and energy production, as 70% of Taiwan’s air pollution is associated with domestic sources.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s laughable lmao.

1 Like

I don’t need a chart to tell me the pollution is bad.

1 Like