Air Pollution?

Is it my illusion or is it true that the air pollution has become worse for the past few days?
The hills are dust-shrouded and the sky looks smoky from my office in Neihu.

Is it seasonal phenomena?

[quote=“kate.lin”]Is it my illusion or is it true that the air pollution has become worse for the past few days?
The hills are dust-shrouded and the sky looks smoky from my office in Neihu.

Is it seasonal phenomena?[/quote]

No. Air pollution levels are usually best in the fall as seasonal breezes clear the skies. But before rains the air usually gets worse as air pressure traps everything. Inversions really make things shitty.

So air pollution levels rise and fall: hourly, daily, weekly. Doesn;'t mean they are getting worse overall.

It has been very humid these days which could explain the smoky skies. Or farmers could be burning stuff in the hills. Idiot farmers in the undeveloped land across the river from me are always burning. I call the EPA, the police, and the fire department all the time but it hasn’t stopped them. I may start going over with a fire extinguisher.

No, humidity was pretty low last few days … 50-60% …

I think it gets worse on auspicious days.

The worst pollution in Taiwan for the past 2 months has been in Taipei. But from the pollution index graph in the newspaper it looks like it’s shifting southwards now.

I have heard farmers saying that burning dry weeds is a good way to fertilize their land. I think that’s why some people burn things along the riverbank—to fertilize their small patch of illegal farm. It’s probably a common myth among farmers in Taiwan.

It’s shifting. Then could the sand storm from China be the cause of bad air condition?

I have heard farmers saying that burning dry weeds is a good way to fertilize their land. I think that’s why some people burn things along the riverbank—to fertilize their small patch of illegal farm. It’s probably a common myth among farmers in Taiwan.[/quote]

I heard that too and this is not only a myth within the farmers, talked to several people and they all believed its the best way to do it.
I asked them why they think people in other countries use all that stuff they burn here and produce humus which is used to fertilize than. I guess it is just so much more convinient and people seem to be imune against smoke/pollution and noise here anyway. :unamused:

I used to live in a rural community which was heavily farmed by Doukobours in British Columbia. Many burned off all the weeds and grasses every year. They also composted but regardless of what they composted, they set fire to their acreage. I was told that they felt it created a natural fertilizer for their land. Aside from the air quality, it was a concern as this time of year is especially dangerous in terms of forest fires.

It’s shifting. Then could the sand storm from China be the cause of bad air condition?[/quote]

Sandstorms are in spring when the wind blows from the west. Right now any air pollution is local. Air quality is still great out here in Muzha.

It seems it will be nice to go hiking in Mucha this weekend. Maokong, Gondola and Zhinan temple will make me a nice day. :slight_smile:

Sorry…I am off-topic.

I have heard farmers saying that burning dry weeds is a good way to fertilize their land. I think that’s why some people burn things along the riverbank—to fertilize their small patch of illegal farm. It’s probably a common myth among farmers in Taiwan.[/quote]

I heard that too and this is not only a myth within the farmers, talked to several people and they all believed its the best way to do it.
I asked them why they think people in other countries use all that stuff they burn here and produce humus which is used to fertilize than. I guess it is just so much more convinient and people seem to be imune against smoke/pollution and noise here anyway. :unamused:[/quote]

When I lived in Eugene, Oregon from 1987-90, I remember how the farmers would burn their fields every year and if one drove up to Portland huge clouds of thick smoke would waft over the highway, not only making it hard to breathe but seriously obscuring visibly. I’m sure this has led to many multiple car collisions there. I couldn’t believe the practice was legal, but it was. Perhaps they’ve finally banned it by now, I don’t know.

Anyway, my point is, apparently even in modern, well-developed nations with lots of money, education and technology, farmers still believe field-burning is beneficial and the law still permits it (or did until recently).

Incidentally, agricultural field burning is still going on in Oregon despite the strong opposition. Obviously, farmers wield a lot of power.

[quote]August 17, 2007

PORTLAND - After hearing testimony laced with jabs at Eugene, along with claims the public’s health is at risk, the state Environmental Quality Commission declined to order an immediate ban on field burning . . .

the commission ordered state environmental officials next February to seek money from the Legislature to study the effects of breathing smoke and whether there are feasible, economical and environmentally sound alternatives to field burning.

Eugene attorney Dan Galpern decried the votes as a “weak” response to the Lane County Board of Commissioner’s plea for an immediate ban. The actions amounted to the commission delaying and shirking its legal duties to protect citizens from health hazards of field burning, including lung and heart disease, Galpern said. . .

The farmers said they know of no legitimate health hazard created by exposure to the thick smoke of field burning . . . Grass seed farmer Dennis Taylor said city people have said they get sick from field burning when they haven’t breathed in smoke. . .

Oregon Seed Council Executive Secretary Dave Nelson singled out Eugene’s mayor as unreasonable and unwilling to work with farmers. . .[/quote]
link

[quote]By annual sales, at $330 million, grass seed is Oregon’s fourth largest agricultural sector behind nurseries, cattle and hay. . .

The industry’s friction with urban areas began in the 1960s, when grass seed farmers were burning up to 300,000 acres a year to try to rid fields of disease and vermin. . .

Spurred by a 23-vehicle, seven-death freeway accident - caused when drivers were blinded by smoke - the Legislature ordered a sharp phase-down to 40,000 acres. . . [/quote]
link